1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BLACK HILLS FAMILY TRIP

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Tron99, Jun 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tron99

Tron99 TS Member

Planning a family trip to Black Hills S.D. 2nd week of AUG . Any ideas , I know we are going to hit MT Rushmore , we have 4 days .Kids are 10 and 11 .Thanks for any help Dan .

2. duke76

duke76 Member

I would maybe rethink the time you are going, Sturgis bike rally is the 5th through the 11th and everything will be very busy and good luck finding a motel. If you do find a motel it will be 3 to 4 times more expensive as it usually is, It is usually busy a week before to a week after the rally. and if you have a camper good luck trying to find a place to park it we have to make reservations a year to to in advance.

3. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Be sure to check Wind Cave in Custer State Park....when they turn out the lights, you can sense real darkness. Also, you are in reasonable driving distance from Devil's Tower monument...Close Encounters.... Best Regards, Ed

4. Clay McCracken

Clay McCracken TS Member

Stop in at Bruce Bowens' shop in Sturgis.

I spent every summer in Rapid City when I was a kid. I don't know if they still do the Passion Play but that was always a highlight.

5. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

There is also the "Corn Palace" at Mitchell, South Dakota.

Here's a link.

Hauxfan!

6. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

My new bride and I will also be heading for the Black Hills the week after Labor Day. It'll be our belated honeymoon. We got married out there last fall by the Mayor of Deadwood.

Thanks for the Bowen suggestion.

Doug

7. Snookassassin

Snookassassin Member

Sounds like a nice trip but like Duke76 says, make sure you have a place to stay and I hope you like the sound of motorcycles.
    I'll be there. You can find me at the Full Throttle Saloon.

Clif Adams AKA Snookassassin

8. PALACE

PALACE TS Member

Above all else listen to Duke.

Larry Titze, Mitchell, SD

9. Shotgun5

Shotgun5 Member

You would be only 2hrs wawy from Deadwood,S.D. Nice place to visit.And a mile from there is the Leads Gold Mine.Nice tour.Pete

10. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

Duke's got it nailed. Even the residents leave the area while the motorcycle rally is going on. For a hundred miles in any direction you will see thousands of bikes and a few cars. While much of the bikers are well behaved especially around families once you add alcohol you can only begin to imagine. Besides there won't be a motel for 250 miles around the place or on the routes there or home.

all the best,
    john

11. Marco Polo

Marco Polo TS Member

We Prairie Dog Hunted out of Sturgis in May two years ago and the motel was $55.00 per nite. During the Sturgis Bike Rally, the same room goes to over $350.00 per night. <br>
    The Bar/Restaurant that we ate in was telling us that they go through a semi of beer daily during the time the bikers are there.

12. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

Don't forget the place where "Last-in-his-class" George A. Custer got REALLY stupid. The battlefield is a neat deal, and not too far away. Neither are(is?) the Badlands, do that after Wall Drug.

Larry

13. guncase

guncase TS Member

I don't blame the hotels for the rates being over $300 a nite,,, They have to re-decorate the whole thing after the bikers leave!! EVERY YEAR!! Some of them actually take the bikes in the room with them!!

but there is no excuse for the Sparta Jabbing that is going on!! >:) !! Paul

14. JRW

JRW Member

Tron; Put trip off till pheasant season take the boys they will never forget the vacation. Jerry

15. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

You betcha. Rushmore and the other sights are good, but no better than what you might find in many other states. SD wild roosters in the Fall!!! Nothing like it, nowhere. Big, gaudy, tough and loud! Cackle...cackle..bang!

16. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

If there's more fun you can have with a shotgun than SD pheasants in the Fall, I don't know what it is.

17. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I live in Rapid City... a move from the Bay Area of CA many years ago.

When doing Mt. Rushmore, after leaving the Monument and comng down the hill and before you turn left into Keystone, turn RIGHT and go through the Needles Highway. There are tunnels, one-ways, pig-tail bridges, etc.-bring a camera. Really a beautiful area. You come out in Custer State Park which is seeing a multi-million dollar renovation. You could spend a night at this park... dining is fantastic and the rooms have all been renovated. There are buffalo, elk, and about every other animal in the park. You need to purchase a park sticker to travel through Custer State Park - not much money.

A really neat place to stay is at the Sylvan Lake Lodge. Their restaurant is superb. My family drives up to the lodge just to eat there and overlook the lake.

And, while at the lodge, you can take in a play at the Passion Play. It is seeing some renovations as well. Fishing at nearby Center Lake privide rainbow trout... great to cook over an open fire.

Deadwood is only about 45 minutes away from Rapid City.

Hill City is becoming an artist's center. My good friend Jon Crane, a well-known water color artist, has a great facility in Hill City. And when in Hill City you could schedule a ride on the 1880 train.

You need to book rooms in advance or at least prior to arrival. This is a tourist area and rooms fill quickly.

The Badlands are near Wall/Interior. Some folks like to see that area, but I'm not big on it unless prairie dogs are nearby. Can't shoot them in the park, but outside there are millions.

If you happen to take bicycles with you, the Mickelson Trail (named after a late governor killed in an airplane accident) is a wonderful way to travel through the Black Hills. A good starting point is in Hill City near the 1880 train station. Stay alert because we have quite a growing bunch of mountain lions. No one has been hurt, but several have been hunted, or hit with a vehicle. My ex-student who works at H-S Precision called in and shot a 150 pounder that was starving. An enormous cat... full mount makes one think twice about walking in the woods at night. We'eve even had one here in my area at the west end of town at the mouth of Nemo Canyon. You could even spend a night at Nemo ... they have a great old bar and cottages. It is but a short distance to either Sturgis through beautiful Vannocker Canyon (we cut our Xmas trees there) or on to Deadwood.

In fact, my wife and her girl friends are biking part of the trail near Mystic, SD tomorrow morning. The trail goes from Deadwood all the way to Hot Springs, I believe. In the Hills it is the most scenic and cooler.

Near Hills City is where General Custer camped when he traveled to the Black Hills in 1874. His troops found gold in Custer, another nice little town to see. 7 years later in 1881, the Custer Bank was built. Hard to believe that in 7 short years a wilderness saw the town of Custer spring up with some farily good sized buildings ... those pioneers were a hardy bunch.

In conclusion, there are lots of places to go, see, enjoy. Prices get up there, but not impossible, like when the H-D Ralley is in full swing. In fact, I WOULD NOT come during the Ralley, unless you are a ralley-goer. Prices go thorugh the roof then.

If you need help with rooms, the director of the Chamber of Commerce, Michell Lintz, is a friend and her husband hunts pheasants with us. I would be happy to assist getting you rooms if need be. I am involved in city government (volunteer in a couple of mayor committees and the police & sheriff's departments) so I do have inroads with some folks who can assist.

Whiz White

18. bobcatv

bobcatv TS Member

We spent some time in SD a month ago. We enjoyed Wall Drug, Badlands, Mt Rushmore, gold mine tour, Sturgis, and Deadwood. We really enjoyed visiting the Sioux Native Indian pottery factory. We walked all through their store and purchased a few pieces. The pottery is nice to take home and remember the trip by. Meet all the Sioux who create the works of art.

19. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

Several years ago we spent a week in the Black Hills with our family really engoyed it. One of the places that was very interesting to our young children was the Mammoth site in Hot Springs. We also enjoyed 'Evan's Plunge' in Hot Springs. You'll have a wonderful time in the Black Hills.

Rem31TC

20. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

Would somebody tell me the drive time from Rapid City to Custer battlefield in Montana? Thanks so much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

black hills trap shooting