1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BLACK GUNS

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by gdbabin, Dec 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

What is the allure? Why are they so popular?

Why do proponents of the AR platform get so defensive when they are referred to as assault rifles?

I like them, they are really cool. I am interested in all firearms and have been since my youth. I'm also fascinated with military hardware in general; weapons, uniforms, technology, and history--even after serving on active duty for over twenty four years. Who doesn't like Jeeps, .50 cal machine guns, Phalanx gatling guns, M1911s, or reruns of Gunny Ermey's Mail Call? Not everyone of course, but plenty of us in the U.S. find these military items and associations irresistible. Yet reactionaries are wondering out loud; "Why are these assault weapons necessary in the hands of civilians?"

Defenders, including the NRA, go out of their way to say "so called assault weapons" when referring to an AR. They also point out how the semi-automatic AR platform is used for marksmanship competitions and varmint hunting, and not intended to kill people.

But really folks, just what does the "AR" nomenclature stand for? Now those of us who know realize a real assault rifle must also include full and burst automatic modes of fire as well as wide accommodation for an array of magazine capacities and other options to render the weapon optimized for any mission at hand. We know there is a difference between a M16A4 and an AR15 even though they look just alike.

We firearms lovers know the AR platform is a layman's facsimile of the real M16. We also know that the M16 was specifically designed to kill people, and not praiarie dogs. We just don't want liberals and anti-gun zealots to know that so we came up with the "AR" gimmick and the rhetoric about how great these are for sporting purposes.

We don't want our rights treaded upon. We want to be able to own military weapons because we LIKE them, not necessarily because we NEED them. I really think we do ourselves a disservice when we pretend that these black guns have nothing to do with assault. They may be liberals and gun haters, but they aren't stupid.

For the life of me I can't come up with a bona fide need in the hunting field to send 30 rounds down range at 3,000 fps to shoot a varmint.

I do see a need to collect, to own something that is almost just like what Seal Team Operators and S.W.A.T. LEOs arm themselves with. Let's face it, they get the best and coolest "toys" and we want them too--just because.

Guy Babin

2. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

"For the life of me I can't come up with a bona fide need in the hunting field to send 30 rounds down range at 3,000 fps to shoot a varmint."

Same as the ole Mt climbing phrase, "Because its there"

For the life of me, I don't see the need of someone to carry a firearm with more then ONE round it them.

BUT then I just happen to like single shots, "Because they are available(there)"

United we stand, divided we fall, to quote a ole saying!!

And I see one of our "dividers" posted just after me!

Read and study the Constitution and you'll GET your answer to, "Why are these assault weapons necessary in the hands of civilians?".

3. 548

548 Guest

My work here is paying off. The discomfort of school yard type harassment for voicing a non-redneck opinion is waining.

Nice post Guy. I respect your courage.

4. oz

oz Active Member

AR stands for Armalite rifle. They invented it.

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Is this what you mean? A party to discuss gun ownership?

Or is it in the video above where some conspiracy theory guy is being reeducated?

Regards from Iowa

Gene
    [​IMG]

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

The libs are united in their efforts to destroy this country. The first step is to take away our money, the second step is to disarm the CITIZENS. They will not stop here. A SUBJECT is SUBJECT TO THE CROWN, or GOVT'.

An ARMED CITIZEN can resist a tyrannical Govt'. THIS is what the Second Amendment is about, not hunting or sport shooting. Once the Second is neutered, the First, Fourth, and Fifth will go away.

We are so disjointed, that we will be shooting O/U's or Single Barrel Trap guns because everything else will be banned.

This crap about being willing to give up AR platform rifles is like a prey animal bargaining with a predator, trying to get the predator to eat them LAST.

7. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

My Model 700's have synthetic stocks that are black so they are black guns too?

I guess you anti gunners would say so and they are also assault rifles too because I could assault somebody with them

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I don't need testicles anymore but darn glad I still am allowed to have them...some of those prairie poodles are darn fast Guy!!! the hoggies too!!..Merry Christmas my friend! : )

9. crusha

crusha TS Member

Upcoming installments of "Earth Shattering Questions of our Age" will address:

"What is a CCW Handgun Really Designed to Do?"

"Why Do You Need to Conceal a Handgun if You're Honest?"

"Do Modern Americans Really Need to Hunt for Food" (guest-moderated by the CEOs of Kroger and Safeway Stores).

10. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I have a Steyr SSG that did have a green stock till the cold weather cracked it. Boy was I mad as hell. I did in time find a replacement for $95.00 but it was black. Didn't want black but it was at a price that I thought was fair. Does that make my bolt action a assault rifle?

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Oh yeah...the color change has totally tainted that rifle with evilness,..you better not turn your back on it..it could do alot of damage while you're not looking

12. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

To imply that anything you have done here on TS.com has had an influence on me, or anyone else, is narcissistic and replete with your obtuse sense of superiority. You are full of yourself and replete with disingenuousness; otherwise you’d reveal your true identity. I do not seek, nor accept your support.

You have not influenced my desire and willingness to express my editorial commentary. I have many really good friends who are members of TS.com and we don’t agree on everything yet we respect each other and appreciate our differences.

You suffer from the very same tangent source as your polar opposites. No better, no worse.

Guy B.

13. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Very good, Guy you see the phony for what he is

14. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

All you did here is prove that some cops are not worth their pay. I'm sure you would love to lead the storm troopers door to door, Hitler style.

15. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

oz,

What does Armalite Rifle stand for?

Armalite invented the platform, designed from the beginning as a military weapon to deliver a relatively small caliber, yet high velocity projectile with the intention of killing an enemy very dead.

You know the Armilite story, yet the American rank and file are convinced AR stands for assault rifle--thus my point. You and I both also know that the industry has capitalized on the "AR & Black Gun” branding. That has less to do with Armilite, but more to do with how we spend our money.

Guy

16. 3357

3357 Member

And Samuel Colt developed the single action revolver for:

A; Deer Hunting

B; Target Shooting

C; Personal Protection

D; The Military

Choose all that apply, Many decades later, nobody is overly concerned with the single action revolver, or the Winchester repeating (lever) rifle for that matter, but in their day they must have been considered the ultimate killing machine. funny how time changes things. Just a thought.

17. 548

548 Guest

My identity has been shown many times. Including my full name, city, state, and ATA number.

Your assessment of my character is way off. However, I recognize that it is your assessment and so I acknowledge I may have come across in a way that was not intended in posts of the past.

None the less, I do enjoy your posts.

18. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

19. Just-A-Shooter

Just-A-Shooter Member

gdbabin

I agree with just about everything you have posted above, but your statement that the 223 had the intention of killing an enemy very dead.
    I believe that in the early days it was intended to wound an enemy very severly. The thought being one wounded enemy took three out of battle.

20. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

So Zlastone,

How does "banning" a large capacity clip "solve" anything?

Have you ever heard of a product called "Duct tape"??

Have you ever taken the time to look up "clip adapters"?

If you have kept yourself informed, by reading numerous "News media" accounts, you'll have found out that most of the shooters, when finally confronted, OFF'ED themselves(blown out their own brains)! Even one of the LA bank robbers, after being wounded a few time's, turned his firearm on Himself and finished the job!!

Its a person problem NOT a tool used problem!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.