1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

black finish like nickel plating?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Is there any finish available that is preferably black (although a dark gray would be considered) that would be just as durable as nickel plating? I really prefer the look of a blued gun, but my kolar just finished its second season after a fresh reblue, and it looks like crap already. I don't really care for the nickel look, but if it means I don't have to have my gun reblued every season to keep it looking decent, I may end up having to go that route. I'm not really sure any of the Teflon coatings will work, my friend had that done on his kolar barrel, and it looks just like matte bluing, but instead of wearing off, it wears shiny (on a bead blased surface anyways) as your hand basically polishes the finish. The only Beretta Graystone finish would be ideal, my dad takes the most minimal care of his 682, and his finish looks pretty close to as good as when he bought the gun 10 years ago.

2. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Black chrome is what you are looking for.

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Second on the black chrome, you won't believe how great it looks and how durable it is ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Titanium Nitride-I have it on one of my Infinity's--Its almost impervious to anything. It will abrade the gold off any jewelry you would be wearing while hadling the gun.

Phil Berkowitz

5. cmptrwz1

cmptrwz1 TS Member

Try a company called Robar coating in Arizona thay have what you are looking for. website robarguns.com

6. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Member

Ian,contact Doug Braker (GunDr)and ask him for a recommendation.He does several finishes and does them well.

7. Jimmyc

Jimmyc TS Member

Fords metal finishing in Florida. They should be set up for black chrome now.
    Jimmy

8. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Black Chrome. Make sure its hard chrome and not ornamental chrome.

9. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Black Chrome is not hard at all, it is decrotive, been their done that it was fine until I used the gun. The only black finish I know of that is hard is Melonite, and others like it that are really a heat treating but leave a nice black finish, it is similar or what Glock uses on their metal parts. I think there is a place in the US that will do it over polishing which gives you a nice bright black instead of the flat black like the Glock. Cant remmeber it now but I bet if you google melonite you'll find it. I found the place that does it and posted the link, you will be happy.

10. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Look into Cerakote finishes. Baked on ceramic based high temp paint. Toughest coating available and comes in many colors. Their "Socom Blue" color most closely matches a blued finish. Google it . The parent company has color charts online. I'm having some K80 Ti Chokes dones right now.

11. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

As good as NP3 is ( I have it on a custom Hi-Power), Robar's precesses apply significant heat and that will be a problem for shotgun ribs. Try Accurate Plating & Weoponry. Also, go to their web site and read about the different plating options and their pros and cons. I had them hard chrome a Ljutic receiver and Cerokote the bbl. Good work, prompt and cost effective. Only comment is that I would not recommend Cerokote in the lock-up area. The Ljutic tolerances are quite tight and I had to remove the Cerakote with abrasives in a few areas...worked out fine, though. Accurate is the real deal. Very happy.

WNCRob

12. englishupland

englishupland Member

Krieghoff had a "Funeral Model" finish a long time ago on drilling/sxs that was greyhish, and very durable..Not sure the spec or who would do it..Fords might know.

13. Diamond Bruce

Diamond Bruce Member

There is a new black nickel out. Can be done in satin or high gloss. Has a RC of 60. Just about as hard as industrial hard chrome.

Bruce

14. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

What you want is a product called IonBond. A fairly common finish for custom handguns. Google the name and you will find Springer Precision on the top of the list. A very durable finish that is beautifully black.

15. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

Has anyone heard of Kal Gard?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.