1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Black Diamond Targets

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Virgil, Jun 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Virgil

Virgil Member

A shooting friend of mine brought some old clay targets when he came to my range to shoot yesterday. He had come across these when someone was cleaning out an old shed. The targets were in a box labeled as Black Diamond "The hit 'em you get 'em" Targets Black Products Co., Chicago, IL. These were regulation yellow dome targets. They came in a box of 135 with each stack wrapped in newspaper. The paper was the July 25, 1964 edition of the Chicago Tribune. We threw some of them and broke some of those which we threw. I would be interested if anyone had any additional information about this target. I did find, I think, that this company at one time did make some of the early traps.

Virgil
  2. Virgil

Virgil Member

I will run this through again to see if anyone has any recollection of this target. Perhaps we are all too young to remember it. After all it was 48 years ago. I don't remember yesterday too well any more. Thanks for reading.

Virgil
  3. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes TS Member

Virgil, I remember paper wrapped targets from the 60's, but we were throwing Remingtons back then. Yellow dome was the most common color of those days I think.
  4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Active Member

Herter's targets were made in Minnesota. Later, George Sutton moved the operation to Texas and made the same target only as "Midwest Targets". After trying to endure a price war with bigger and wealthier target manufacturers, they moved the operation to it's present location in Litchfield, IL.

There they made many improvements and is now run by George's son, John.
  5. Thevalueman

Thevalueman TS Member

I'm new to this site...this is my first post. I'm 58 years of age, and spent my early years inside a trap house, loading targets into the manual trap(it was cocked by the puller, and I loaded the target, and rotated the machine anywhere I wanted). All the targets were as you describe...wraped in news paper. That was around 1965 and foward.
    :)Rocky
  6. KennyRay

KennyRay Member

Virgil:

There is not alot of information on Black Diamond Targets & Traps. They were produced by the Black Products Co, 13518 Calumet Avenue, Chicago, IL in the early years about 1915 and the company continued obtaining patents up to at least 1968.

The earliest patent I found for them is # 1,238,980 granted to Cesare Barbieri, of Omaha Neb., Sept. 4, 1917 who assigned (sold) his target making machine to Black Products Co., who at that time were in Riverdale, IL. The only patents I found on their targets are:

3,169,767 16 FEB 1965 08 OCT 1962 Sam. H. Bingham Black Products Co

1,009,194(UK) 10 NOV 1965 13 JUL 1962 Sam. H. Bingham Black Products Co

3,572,714 30 MAR 1971 30 DEC 1968 Edwin M. Lau Black Products Co

They bought or owned the patent rights for their traps, targets and improvements.

The Black Diamond Auto Angle Trap was used at the first Grand American in Vandalia in 1924. It was also used in 1927, 1928, and 1930.

I have an advertisement for the 1936 Black Diamond Traps & Targets which appeared in Sportsmen's Reivew, July 25, 1936 on page 69.

They came out with another target patent in 1962 granted to Sam H. Bingham in 1965 and assigned to the Black Products Co. This target also received a patent in the United Kingdom.

I seem to remember reading the company being bought but apparently never put it in my files.

Hope this helps,

Kenny Ray Estes
    Pittsgrove, NJ
  7. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

shotgunpeople_2008_030383.jpg

Thanks Kenny Ray for that information. I find out more and more from you each time you mention things.

Above is a picture of the Black Diamond Auto Angle trap at the Trapshooting Hall of Fame to go along with your above post.

Dave in SC & NY
  8. Virgil

Virgil Member

Thank all of you for the enlightening and interesting responses. Kenny's response was amazing. How do you acquire all this information? I do computer searches but in many cases, I never come up with this kind of detail. Thanks again.

Virgil
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.