1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Black Bear truck tuning

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Eric XT, Jun 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric XT

Eric XT TS Member

I've used blackbear in the past and I know many people that has used him and everyone was very pleased the only thing I don't like is that he don't return phone calls. Check out Wheatley Tuning http://www.gowheatley.com/ before you get a tune from blackbear. Wheatley might cost a couple bucks more but Charley is a lot easier to deal with cause he does answer his phone. Tell me where you live cause I might know someone local for you and that will be better than a mail order tune.

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

You might want to look at Hypertech - they were one of the first in this business and they dyno test each vehicle they program for so there is no 'guess work' involved.

Also, you buy a unit which allows you to 'tweak' the PCM per your needs - serves as an error code reader as well...

Took my 5.4 L Expedition from 18 mpg to 24+ (added air intake and exhaust at the same time) on the highway.

3. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I paid about 185 for the Hypertech unit - which I now own. It will work on one Ford vehicle at a time, but will read error codes on any of them. Air intake was about $125 and exhaust was just under $300.

Hypertech does dyno testing of the vehicles with the programing, so their numbers are more 'real' than most - you can claim anything you want, if you follow it with 'your results may vary.' I really hit the numbers Hypertech stated, and most of the others seem to fall shy of the claims.

If you check out the Hypertech web site they will give you fuel increases, horsepower increases, etc. Again, this data is from real world testing not a computer model. My experience is that Hypertech understates but then delivers, a lot of the others make wild claims that you and I never see, and when you do the final break down on it you don't get near what they promised.

Food for thought

David D

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I currently have a Superchips Cortex Programmer but had the Hypertech before. I honestly think your dreaming if you your looking for big fuel savings. Not gonna happen. You'll be lucky to see 1-2 mpg savings, real lucky. Anything you hear or read to the contrary is simple BS. I question some peoples ability to figure true fuel mileage. I'm just keeping it real. Now it will add some more balls to your already peppy vehicle. I gained around 30HP and 20 torque. It always amazes me when people buy a big V8 pickup truck and then try and make it have Prius fuel mileage. I bought the programmers for the added pep which they were intended. The programmer companies started advertising fuel savings after the fuel prices started skyrocketing. As i always say though, it's your money.

I will say i have no experiance with the Black Bear. I would however be shocked if it were much different. You have to remember the vehicle manufactures program the vehicles to have a combo of good power and fuel mileage. The programmer companies simply make their own programs and try and squeak out some more power. There is rarely much meat left on the bone. Just say'n..................

5. grntitan

Dave--I just don't want you to be misled and i think that the majority if not all the programmers do that. My Superchips even has a fuel saver mode. Its a joke and basically cuts the balls on the truck for next to nothing in gains. Now the added HP/TQ is very real. It also does other helpful things but great fuel mileage isn't one of them. I can relate as my truck gets 13mpg whether i drive 55 or 75mph. Now the air filter systems do help but again its very minimal. I wasn't trying to be an ass just want you to know what to expect. I think you'll put out a chunk of cash and be very disappointed.--Matt

6. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Matt, you are pretty much on top of it with Superchips. I have one in my 06 F150 4.6 and it did improve the fuel mileage about two MPG but definitely made a difference in Pep and top end as well. I have it set for extended rpm range and would like to do a little more to make it breathe better. I bought my superchip off ebay for $160.00 and have enjoyed it. I have about 60,000 miles on my pu now and will probably keep it for another year or two. What's your suggestion for any other changes. Jackie B.

7. grntitan

Jackie--I'd put air intake system and exhaust. You don't necessarily need dual exhaust but get something that allows it to breath better without taking all the back pressure away. I have a 2 into 1 muffler(Flowmaster) back into 2 out the back. It made a heck of a difference when combined with my K&N intake system. Other than that you'd need to get into cams and such to do much more. Stay away from the Throttle Body Spacers as they are very similar to porting a gun. They will change the intake tone and remove cash from your pocket but do very little to improve Horsepower, Torque or Fuel mileage. Its one of those gimics. There is always NOS and Superchargers but they are not really bolt on and go type things especially on todays computer controlled vehicles. I'm not a Ford guy but they are all about the same in the bolt on aspect.--Matt

P.S.Your exhaust doesn't need to be loud to breath better. My truck's muffler is a 40 series Flowmaster and is loud but their 50 series will tone that down. There are numerous bolt on exhaust systems on the market or go to a good exhaust shop and have them build yours. Thats what i did.

There are a bunch of intake systems that will work equally well. K&N is the most popular. Air Raid, AEM, Banks are just a few other well thought of systems. They are usually very easy to install and usually add several all the way up to 10 HP as well as making the vehicle breath much better. Doing all these things together can actually give you slightly more MPG but the added power and tone usually brings out the kid in you again. :D

8. Royce10

Royce10 TS Member

25% mileage increase,LOL. I would pay at least a couple grand for that if it was true. Sounds like somebody recalibrated the speedometer to show an extra 20% mileage driven. Don't be so gullible McFly!

9. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Royce10,

City went from 13 to 15/16, but highway went to over 24 mpg - this is at 70 ~ 85 mph. I did do intake and exhaust at the same time.

Programing was for more power and better shifting, no switch to high octane fuel and nothing done to recalibrate for tires.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Still leaves me shaking my head when I do a long highway run.

10. Royce10

Royce10 TS Member

The Ford engineers would like to take a look at how this was done. What gear ratio?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.