1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Black AA

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Kemen053, Apr 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kemen053

Kemen053 Member

Here is a picture of several black AA's Winchester has produced in Australia,i noticed in Mike Hessong's post a gold 1200 AA which was made down here ,and i thought i would share some of our shells from the past. The 1250 and 1300 were made when we went to 1oz in 1992, the supreme is a 1300fps 1 1/8 load for handicap and sporting, the super ranger is a 1400 fps field load,and the super-x was a special sporting load produced for the FITASC world championships held in Australia 1 1/4 AT 1220 fps ,nickel plated shot.
    Regards Ross
    kemen053_2008_030311.jpg

kemen053_2008_030311.jpg

2. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

Kemen053 (Ross), cool picture of some "down under" Winchester hulls. You are right about the gold AA I have in my collection. An Australian shooter gave it to a vendor I deal with quite a bit, and he knew I had a pretty extensive shotgun shell collection, and he gave it to me.

Like APrice said, there was a year or so that the American made Winchester AA was made with black plastic. I have a couple of boxes of 25's of them around, just don't know where they are. I loaded them up, and will try and find them, and get some pictures. I also have some of the maroon (kind of a brown color) Winchester AA that they had for a little while. I think it was just a variant of their color pigment order, but definitely NOT a read hull. Pretty interesting color, that went on for a while, I guess until they ran out of the plastic pigment that made that different color.

The picture someone put on the other thread about unusual shells, showing the "blue" AA, got my interest up. I would like to hear more about it, I think it might be made by an overseas manufacturer, but could be wrong.

Have a great day, Mike* (MH*)

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Presto!

Neil

4. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Neil, thanks for the link to your earlier thread. I forgot about you testing the older shells, and the black AA is the one I have a couple of boxes of. Had a couple of people ask me for some examples for their collections, but I can't find where I misplaced my reloaded once-fired hulls. I know I will someday.

Ed Yanchok passed along some really pretty shells in those old Federal Champion II's, probably the prettiest shells around. I received a few boxes of them from my late gunsmiths widow, after he passed away. Your testing data doesn't show them to be be too "heavy", but shooting a few of them the other day, gave me a pretty good jarring. I left a box or two untouched and placed those full boxes in my shell box collection. Seems I collect a little bit of anything to do with shotgun clay-target history. Even collect old clays, but just trying to figure out how I can get my hands on a nice glass-ball target, without b=reaking my pocketbook !!! LOL

5. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Mike, come see me next week. I have some old shells for your collection.

Ken

6. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Ken, I will do that. Thanks ! (and thanks for the kind words on the other thread, look forward to seeing you and Carolyn next week)

7. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

The Black AA ammo was made in the early 70s. They were handicap loads. Larry Evans

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.