1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bizarre 1100 'problem'?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Billster, Aug 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billster

Billster TS Member

The lady and I shot four rounds (100 shots) this a.m. Afterward, on the bench for cleaning, I pull the endcap off the fore end of her LT-20 1100 and out from behind the cap falls a #8 pellet! Roll it around in my hand for a moment wondering "WTF?" I pull the fore end off and out falls 6 more #8's! Where the heck are these things coming from? I totally cleaned the gun after last week's shoot....and don't think the #8's are squeezing thru the gas ports. They're not deformed in anyway. Estate #8's. Not too comfortable with this for some reason. Thoughts/experiences?

Bill

2. Billster

Billster TS Member

No reloads.....new Estate ammo. She single-loaded at the line. Nothing placed in the mag tube all a.m. The shot came out from underneath the fore end (slide/piston area).

3. valmet

valmet TS Supporters TS Supporters

bill, did you buy the gun new or used? if used, someone might have used shot to "weight" it down and whatever they used to contain the shot may have started leaking.could have replaced the plug with something like this. just a thought. dennis

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I would have loved to see that one. I would see if # 8 shot does fit through your gas ports. I have had a few mystery happenings my self. I cleaned a 1100 after shooting it all day. Found small very thin almost sguare pieces of metal all over the insides. Brought gun and pieces to gun smith. He could not find anything wrong with gun and could not identify pieces. Gun has worked great since and never seen anything like those pieces again?

5. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Billster, will a #8 pellet drop through the gas ports? If so, I guess it's possible that pellets somehow got blown down through the gas port, and the recoil allowed the pellets to be thrown forward during the gun's operation.

Best,
    Dennis

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

they don't have to be reloads to loose pellets

7. Billster

Billster TS Member

I dropped the pellets in the ashtray which has been emptied. I use a wire to clear the gas ports and the pellets were clearly larger than the wire which fits snugly thru the ports. All possibilities including new shells dropping pellets and 'weighted' down mag tube. Bought the gun used. Will be at the range again on Sat. Curious to see if it happens again. One thing I remember from today was one round didn't eject fully clear of the port. She needed to pull the hull from the port after firing the round. This is nuts.

Thanks for the responses. I might tear the gun down again tomorrow just to poke around.

b

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

If you bought it used and did not tear it down prior to shooting, ANYTHING could have happened. My quess is a major shot spill around the gun? next is weighted down with shot and not contained well.

9. Billster

Billster TS Member

I tore the gun down immediately after getting it. Total cleaning, etc. before first trip to the range. Only thing I didn't take down was the mag tube. Looks 'clean' and functions smoothly, etc. Will pull it down tomorrow though.

b

10. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Maybe a few pieces of loose shot in the gun case found their way into gas vents on the forestock.

Jim

11. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I have had pellets find thier way through the end of the magazine cap hole into the spring area of the magazine tube. It aligns itself perfectly with the center of the crimp. Any pellet stuck in the shell crimp will end up there

12. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Need to completely remove the magazine spring retainer, magazine spring, and shell follower - everything - from inside the magazine tube...so you can look down the tube into the action. My guess is the previous owner used a weighted empty shell to hold #8 shot as a weight system. Will be looking forward to your findings. Best Regards, Ed

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Maybe the gun simply had some shot spill into it while being stored by the previous owner.

14. JLW

JLW TS Member

It's impossible they found their way thru the gas ports in the bb'l if they are larger than the holes and not deformed.

I'd say improper crimps in the shot tube.-J

15. lumper

lumper TS Member

So your the one ... your the one who bought that gun ... your now the one with the mystery gun.

That gun has made its way around. The original owner, a skeet shooter would only shoot #9 shot in that gun on the skeet range. The gun has a mind of its own and is possessed with the spirit of the original owner. The original owner would only shoot #9 shot and frowned upon all shooters shooting larger shot. Since the passing of the original owner if anything other than #9 shot is used shot mysteriously appears somewhere within the gun. I would get rid of the shotgun NOW ... do not delay ... get rid of it NOW!!!

Have you removed the stock yet? Wait til you see how much might be in there ...

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

This is not surprising to me. Things just turn up in unusual places. I once found a new primer in a baked potato my wife had fixed for me. I have long wondered what might have happened if I had not noticed it and taken a firm bite on the potato? Shooting and reloading can raise interesting questions.

Pat Ireland

17. Billster

Billster TS Member

OKAY.....here's the answer, guys!

Valmet gets the cigar. Pulled the end cap and fore end off last night and peered into the muzzle end of the mag tube. Looked like brown crumbs and mixed in was a pellet looking out at me. Took an ice pick and carefully started digging the 'crumbs' out and eventually pulled 26 pellets out along with what appears to be fractured epoxy of some sort. Seems a previous owner wanted to 'weight' the gun by epoxying shot in the end of the tube (even though the resulting weight is barely detectable). There's only about 3/4" space between the end of the tube and the front side of the mag spring retainer...he filled it up to the end of the tube. When I got the gun I pulled the end cap off and saw a nice smooth brown plastic-type plug there. Not knowing 1100's I thought it was a factory 'seal' or something. Yesterday's 100 rounds apparently shattered the epoxy and released the pellets. WIERD!

Thanks for the responses on this. Phew.

Bill

18. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Pat Ireland - I'd guess that primer got there after the potato was baked. Wouldn't it have pickled off in the oven?

Did you use the primer? Did it work?

19. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Did you load it with 7½'s or 8's?

20. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I weighted my 1100 LT with 2 empty shells filled with 9 shot and crimped. I put them nose to nose so they would not open, in the front of the tube.

15 years and never a problem.

Of course, a weight cap would have worked too.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.