1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Birds with feathers

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by skip, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skip

skip Member

Lost one dog a few months back with one more to go and shes 16 years old now.

Was looking for a new pet maybe after she goes and wondered about a bird of some type.

Are there any birds out there that would be fun to own, maybe hang out with

you, hang around when reloading or watching TV? Interesting personality, not to

keen on the ones that squak loudly

Maybe a stupid question but thought I would throw it out there anyway

Thanks

Skip

2. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

IF your wanting a retriever get a lab. he'll be your best buddy n always ready to go when you are. also good in the house if you get one of the smaller breeds English i think it is. If a pointing dog is what you want ask HAP on ts. he can give you the lowdown on his favorite buddy and probably send you some pics as well. BTW, his also makes a good in the house buddy.

Bob

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Skip... get a bird bath, and different feeders for your area. You can't believe how much you will enjoy the birds. Butterflies, bats, hummingbirds, bees, and hawks will also come.

Wayne

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

African Grays are the best talkers. Mine has me answering the door, phone and mimics things he hears on TV as well as me.

Macaws are great talkers, have very colorful personalities as well as size and colors. They have lines of small dark feathers on their faces that are distinct and like fingerprints, no two are suppose to be the same. Largest is the Green Wing. Most popular Blue and Gold pictured above. Smallest is about 7 inches head to tip of tail. There are some interesting hybrids like Catalina's which is a cross between a Blue and Gold and a Green Wing. My wife's was a real sweet heart, but we lost her last year when her liver gave out.

Amazons are good talkers as well. Might want to start small with a cockatiel. All parrots mimic speech and have two toes forward and two toes facing back. Not all parrots are hookbills.

Birds require a lot attention and interaction. They are very nasty and make a mess in whatever room you keep them even when caged. Their feathers disintegrate to dust and gets everywhere. May not be suitable for people with allergies or breathing problems. I have a huge air filter that runs 24/7 and clean it weekly. I built several cages, completely enclosed, but the dust still ends up all over the place.

They are very sensitive to their environment and you have to be aware and careful of fumes. A Teflon pan left on a hot stove gives off fumes that can kill them. You cannot feed them certain foods, like avocados, but they love pasta, beans apples, etc. They are hard to sex, unless you take them to a vet or they lay eggs. Their feathers do not turn gray, so it is hard to determine their age.

The best pets are hand fed babies and if you ever saw a bird on it's first day after hatching, you can understand where the dinasaurs went.

They can be very temperamental, bond to one person and not to a spouse or child. They have the emotional mind of a two year old. Biggest problem with birds? They can live a long time, perhaps outlive you. Many people make provisions in their wills in case they don't survive the bird, as to who the bird should go to. The bigger the bird the longer they can live, some 50-80 years.

5. avery53

avery53 Member

Dogs don't crap on your shoulder like birds, stick with dogs. LOL

6. gotbass

gotbass Member

The noise, the dust, the crap, we know people that have them. You can't shut them up short of a blackout and they will bite (at least some of them). Personally I would rather have a tiger living in the house or a armed mother-in-law.

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Good write up Rick. Lots of stuff I did not know. I will take a lab and a kitty anytime

8. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

One of the nastiest pets you can have. Plus after you have heard "What" about 500 times in a day you are ready to strangle the bird.

9. reddbudd

reddbudd Well-Known Member

twostraight

About how much stuffing will Oscar hold for Thanksgiving?

Bud

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.