1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Birds that shouldn't be here are here

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Auctioneer, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Birds that shouldn

In the past years when it got cold the cow birds, grackels, robins all left. Here it is Jan and they are still here. I'm just wondering why?

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

1) Global warming

2) Since everything is now 'free' why leave??

3. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

And this is the first year we have no birds in the back yard ?? Feeders are up but nothing at them ??

4. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

We are getting overrun with the same birds too the past year - only not so many cowbirds. We also notice LESS woodpeckers (hairy, downey, yellow bellied, and pilated). We used to have tons. BUT - we do notice MORE Cardinals (no grey haired ones though:) Could be related to us taking down a few trees close to the house near where all the feeders are. I am getting ready to rid us of the trash birds one at a time and plan to use my metro barrel extension with medium velocity 1-1/8 oz 7.5's.

5. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Our house sits on the top of a hill with open pasture all around for about 5 acres, but we do have some woods further out. We feed on our front deck, close to the house. This year we have had more bluejays and woodpeckers that ever before. The number of cardinals seems to be about the same. I didn't get the finch feeder put out, so I haven't seen any finches. Iratates me when the peckerwoods peck on my deck railng. The other day we had a full grown hawk land on the railing, something to see, wish I had had my camera ready.

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Lots of Robins do not migrate south. They eat fruits and berries in the winter. Robins are in the Thrush family, and like lots of water, one of main reasons the majority head south. Here are some pis of my heated bird bath in northern Indiana. Wayne

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I live in southeastern Pa, and there are hundreds X hundreds of robins in my rural area that are hear all year. They seem to reside in flocks because when they come on my property there are many. What I see them eat are the small bluish seeds on the cedar trees.

8. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Its all part of the master_plan the new governing body has for us!!!!!!

Besides, the border is to crowed for evn them to cross in the opposite direction.

9. windyflat

windyflat Member

Just jays, woodpeckers and morning doves at our feeders here in upstate NY

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    My wife puts out about 50 lbs in birdseed plus suet blocks every month. Lots of birds. We had so many yellow finches the other day that I lost count at 60. I just bought her a longer lens for her digital camera, so I'm hoping she'll start taking photos that can be posted.

11. ramen39

ramen39 Member

Wayneo
    I live in Northern Indiana also but very seldom see A robin in the winter. I have fed the birds for years and we have just the usual. Cardinals,Juncos,titmice, Chickadees, Goldfinches and aDowny and red bellied woodpeckers.
    We are not to far from the Fulton County Gun Club. Where are you located?
    Roy

12. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Roy, I'm in Fort Wayne. I use to shoot at FCGC a lot in the early '90. Doug and Judy use to run it? Maybe CubanCigar will see this and chime in, he shot there too.

Robins that stay north in the winter have to have open water. They will flock up and go where is water, and fruits, like crab apples, ceder berries, etc. You can attract them with water, then leave berries, sliced apples, raisins, laying near the water. They won't come to feeders, they are not use to it , and they don't eat seeds for nutrition. Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.