1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bird hunting boots: Russell Signature South 40

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by sernv99, Jul 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

Although it's mid-summer, I want to get a jump on ordering some lightweight bird hunting boots. I decided to splurge a little and consider the Russell Signature South 40 or maybe just the non-Signature 40 boots.

I really have no plans to visit anywhere close to the factory in WI this summer and I don't think any of the Russell reps. will be visiting the mid-Atlantic region to attend any sort of shooting events ......so has anyone regretted not visiting the factory to get the fitting done vice using the measuring instructions given on the website and sending it in?

Edit: I just saw that they will be at the Vintagers shoot in MD in Sept so I'll try to make it but would still like some input for those that ordered online vice visiting the factory or rep. to get a personal fitting.

2. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

I use Irish Setter's with 600 gram thinsulate. 11 inch boot with cordura sides. Lightwieght, waterproof, and warm. Used em for 2 years stomping Greenwood for quail and late season goose. Got em at Dicks on Black Friday for 70 bucks. Half off was real nice. Will buy more when these wear out.

3. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

I hear what your saying Chuck,but Russell's are different and worth it.IMHO :)

4. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I have had Russell South 40s for several years. They have been well used but still look like new. They are the best I have ever had and I have worn out MANY boots of different makers including Rocky and Danner.

I did my own measurements according to the instructions and the result was everything I expected. I even specified speed lacing which I wound up hating. I sent them back and they changed them to hooks which I love at no charge.

Great company - great product!

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I had the tracing done at the factory, and it's a simple enough process that you could do it yourself without any worry. He just had me stand on the paper and ran a pencil around my foot, holding it vertical at all times.

It won't be any different than theirs unless you have some kind of problem.

HM

6. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

They should also be at the Southern SxS Fall Classic at Backwoods Quail Club. Georgetown S.Carolina. Oct 21, 22, 23

7. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

I had an awful experince with Russell. Sent measurements and check for several pair of boots/shoes. Finally got one serviceable pair after twenty or thirty phone calls with Ralph the owner. Got my money back after about two years of back and forth. Wish they were as good with me as some others. Seems the experince with them is either great or awful.

8. Vince McNamara

Vince McNamara Member

I dont' like to make negative posts but I had a similar experience as riflegunbuilder. Sent them check and measurements for upland boots and chukas. Chukas are too small and boots are too large. Save your money.

9. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Member

I have several pairs of Russells;originally traced my own and finally visited the factory.I've have had nothing but great service and quality from them.

10. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I plan to visit them when they come to Maryland for the Vintagers shoot in Sept...this way, if they fugg up my boots with incorrect sizing, there is no excuse on their part that I sent them the wrong measurements (if I did the measuring myself).

11. William Perry

William Perry Member

I met with Ralph at the Vintagers Sept. 2010. He measured me and I ordered the same boots you made reference to. They did not charge my credit card until they started on them. I got them in Feb. 2011.

These are my second pair. My foot size changed or I think I could have gotten a few more years out of them. The key factor in my opinion is this - one of my feet is one complete size larger than the other. This is more common than people think. The average production boot may not fit everyone.

If you do a lot of walking and your feet hurt, hunting or whatever isn't much fun.

Bill

12. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

When I got my Russell boots delivered I noticed that the labels inside showed different sizes. This proves to me that they made the boots to measure and did NOT pull them out of stock. This happened because I had recently lost some of the arch in my left foot which caused it to become a 1/2 size larger.

I also have another "secret" I use to make these boots even more comfortable. I place a pair of Danner Airthotics in them. It makes all the difference in the world!

13. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

on another note: does anyone have experience with Gokey hunting boots? If you have negative/positive experience with Gokey, I would like to hear them. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

russell south 40 boot review

south 40 russell