1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bird hunter info

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by southjblue, Jan 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I thought I'd pass this info on---You may like it---About 4 yrs ago I bought a Franchi 48/AL that had the bbl cut to 24" 12 ga(professionally done)I wanted to get tubes put in but was advised to get it Jug choked---Don't ask me what that is but I told the guy to do it---I got it back and put it on paper,great pattern.
    Never took it in the field since I use a 20 ga 48/AL---Lately I'v been missing some birds(pheasants) and thought I'd give the 12 ga a try---10 birds up and 10 birds down---Now heres my pt---This 12 ga Franchi weighs 6 lbs---My 20 ga weighs 6 lbs and is a 26" mod choke bbl---You can't tell the difference while hunting and how nice with the 24" bbl---I strongly recommend anyone with an old Franchi just sitting around give this a try---If anyone needs to know who did the job I have it somewhere and will look it up---Anyone out there know what a Jug choke is?---To me its great---I'll post a pic---SJB---
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

I'd like to save what little hearing I still have.

3. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

You can't tell much difference between low brass 6s 12 ga and high brass 20 ga.
    But the birds do fall---SJB---

4. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

In a jug choke the 'smith removes material behind the muzzle so the ejecta expands into the larger area. Then when it hits the muzzle it is choked again by the narrower diameter bore that was left alone.

5. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Thanks Guy---It works---SJB---

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

What Wireguy said

Regards from Iowa

Gene

7. MikeyLikesIt

MikeyLikesIt TS Member

I'm curious what it is supposed to accomplish? Does it tighten up or loosen the pattern compared to cylinder bore?

8. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

As I said,the bbl was cut so it was wide open.After the jug choke it tighten up the pattern and not much can get through---I would have to have someone use a choke guide to give an answer but it sure knocks the birds down---Best advantage is the short bbl and weight of the gun---Recoil is not an issue since you aren't shooting 50 or 100 shells---Just a pleasure to carry---I also have a 20 ga 1100 and like it lots but I seem to go for my Franchis---My 1100 is 6.5 lbs and forget a 12 ga 1100---Its tough getting old and I have a knee replacement so light is in my future--Its nice to carry a 12 ga that only weighs 6 lbs---JMO----SJB---

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

pen raised birds.....10 for 10.... why not use a 410. It's a moot point.

Just yank'n your chain, but you should qualfy pen raised vs wild. Pointer vs Flusher. Whole different ball game.

10. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

These were pen raised but not in easy terrain-but good flyers--I'm going to do some jump shooting ducks along ditches 1st chance I get---May have to wait till nxt yr.
    Do you think that will be a good test?---George

11. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

George, From my experience, ducks are always a 12 gauge, tight choke gig. Depends how stealthy you are.

But it would be fun!

12. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

You have to make sure your going into the wind---You can get right up on them--
    Trick is trying to x ditch for recovery---Went up to my tits many times---
    When we were young we would chase them down by boat---One would ride the bow and one would drive--into the wind---they were the days---Drove the game wardens crazy---I think they are still looking for my truck and boat---George

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.