1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bird dog owners ever had this happen

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by copper, Oct 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. copper

copper Member

First I have had bird dogs most of my life , well I was asked about being a guide on a preserve with Pearl 4 year old female Vizla of mine that has done wonderfull for me for 3 years has not been hunted with other dogs . I went with anouther guide that brought a 4 year old Male setter he said keep your dog away from him when he chained and when he retrives he could be agressive I said with a female strange . Well first bird shot Pearl gets to it the other dog takes it away from her. OK well we go on Pearl seem to be backing off FROM HER NORM then we stop Pearl goes over to see other guide and his male attacks her small tear on her face . Well now Pearl comes in heel shaking panting we go she walks at heel refuses to hunt this dog was a hunting machine . I am worrried anyone ever encountered this . Dave PS PEARL Last year I took a guy with me A LOT who had hunted with a lot of other dog and he said she was best he had ever seen

2. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

If the other guide new the dog was that bad an issue he should have told you not to bring your dog or split the party up and each hunt differnt areas. i've see a growl and a show of teeth on a retriev but that male should have been in a muzzel

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

What you describe is common other than it is usually the female taking the role of alpha bitch. They are dogs which are by nature pack animals. This is where you see the true nature of your animal come out.

Best bet for you is to hunt your dog solo. Trying to control the pack behavior is difficult at best and probably won't work for you since only one dog views you as the pack leader.

4. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

If that guide has been working on the preserve or anywhere else for even a short while his dogs should be used to working with other dogs in the field. I will bet that dog has other issues other than having another dog in the field. The guide did you and the other hunters a big disservice that day.
    Hunt well and Hunt often.

5. copper

copper Member

Well the other guide has been hunting there for years I was there on and introduction deal they day before I came by myself to see lay of land. When I told him I was running my dog the next day he was made sure to tell me this male had some issues as to dominance , I thought he was over stating because my Pearl is very passive and male female thing. I was shocked how she just went into a almost shocked state and could not seem to shake it and very worried about long term effects . I was even purplex that she would not start hunting again. I brought her home and worked her in field behind house she seemed OK. I asked the other guide if he had ever seen anything like this he said he thought was some other issue not the dog attack and stold retrive .

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

My Draht use to be aggressive with other dogs during a retreive. The electric collar and some Edison Medicine stopped that, but you have to be consistant when you make the correction. The correction has to be swift and hard so the dog understands it is not tolerated. If the timing is wrong, you can ruin a good retreiving dog, but I see it as a no choice option. Especially if you want to hunt with other people and their dogs.

The other guide was either too lazy to train his dog to play nice, or too selfish to allow you and your dog to enjoy the hunt too. He probably thinks his dog is too great to correct.
    If I owned the preserve, that dude and his dog would be banned.

That type of dog does not belong in a preserve atmosphere.

7. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

rude dogs are the result of rude owners

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I agree with the rude comment 100%. On another note. Viszla dogs are wired and great hubters but their weakness is their personality. ( easily intimidated) Take her out on her own a few times and she will return to normal. I never knew one to hunt with other dogs well

9. Herman63

Herman63 Member

Copper,

I don't know anything about Bird dogs but use to have a few hunting dog and have seen this before. There are always some dogs that are aggressive like that and they do have issues and it has nothing to do with your female.

I would be careful with the dogs you hunt with as you said she is submissive and putting her with dogs like that can cause problems.

I would suggest you find a buddy to hunt with and get the dogs together and let them get to know each other.

I have seen hunting dogs ruined from such behavior.

Herman63

10. shogan191

shogan191 TS Member

Hopefully her reaction will be reserved for that one particular dog. I'd give her a few days of hunting alone and then be sure to expose her to more well trained dogs so she realizes she can hunt with others without being brought down.

11. Jawari2000

Jawari2000 Member

Sorry to tell you but your mistake was not to listen to the guy and thinking that he was overstating the aggressiveness of his dog. He+his dog have been there and you+your dog were the new kids on the block. If two dogs have not been trained together, don't expect them to hunt in harmony with each other. Also, dogs have knack for picking up bad habits from ill-trained dogs when hunted together. Best would have been to let one dog hunt at one time or hunt different areas, as suggested above.

Anyway, chalk it up to learning experience and avoid the company of another dog when hunting with her. Spend some more time with her in the backyard or other familiar place, reassure her, and then take her hunting solo. She will come back since its in her genes but make sure there isn't another dog around because a repeat of this episode will not go well with her in the long term.

Aside from the above, if you are going to guide with your dog, don't let anyone else in the party give her commands because that can confuse her. Unfortunately some hunters have the bad habit of taking ownership of dogs, so make it clear to everyone before going out in the field.

12. copper

copper Member

Well was almost 20 years ago that I guided with a different female Vizla who was a great dog . You are right she might not be able to handle this type of situation , I took her back this afternoon the owner wanted me to just run her with a easy going female she started off great then began panting out of stress or I was wondering if she is sick. This is a dog that would hunt easy for most of day trail cripples 300 plus yards last season I am stunned. I know a bad exsperience can stick in a dogs head had that with a Chessie once many years ago . I am going to wait for season to open and hunt her by herself and see. Well I know the stolen retrieve and the attack some dogs would shake off maybe more to it hard to tell time will tell . thanks Dave

13. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

Some so called big guys brag about how their dogs take on all other
    hunting dogs and whip them. I was hunting with a very peaceful Llewellyn
    next to two of these guys in a party I did not drive to and was kind of
    stuck. I told both guys they better turn their e-collars up, because if
    there dog got within 10yds. of mine I would consider it a clear and present
    danger and use the first shell of my double. I said the second shell would
    be used for another. Funny thing, they kept good control of their dogs.

14. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

That does happen - the dominance thing

You take that risk any time you hunt your dog with someone elses.

Dogs usually recover.

Regards from Iowa

Gene

15. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

As Grandpa Charlie would of said the owner need a button hole snaped in his A** with a Blacksnake.
    Think that translate to snap in the Butt with a bullwhip but the intent is good. Results maybe the same.

16. copper

copper Member

Well maybe not ment to be I was SO SO on guiding at this place is great looking cover first class but stress level there is high. The owner is know to lose it and go off from time to time witch in general conversation I told them I have zero tolerance for it exsplained cursing and hollering I view as a caracter flaw does not help any thing. So maybe saving myself from turning some thing I love to some thing I hate. When I guided years ago I was in control more so maybe Pearl has saved me. She is a very smart dog but I can,t ask her what wrong Well life goes on I can only hope there was no damage done . I know of dominance in dogs male and males usually and I would not put up with that Male and female real flaw in a dog nothing I wan,t. THANKS AGAIN Dave

17. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

In your first post, you seemed a bit more in control than in your last post where you don't seem to be in control. In a preserve situation, you should, like I do, insist that your dog hunt alone. That solves all dog problems. It is way more trouble to correct emotional problems in pointing dog than it is to prevent them.

18. copper

copper Member

. He said he had wanted me to use one of there dogs also for the show aspect when I started hunting . Now this trip was a guide just introducing me to property and I was told I could bring my dog on second day by owner not the guide, when I told the guide that is when he told me about his male having a his space issue and wanting to retrive all the birds . I figure his dog being a 5 year old male would not view my Pearl who is very docile 4 year female as a threat of any kind hard for me to invision . When he said I exspect was with other male dogs. I thought maybe some growling he put a nick in her face made her bleed. Well of course you can,t do a big correction in front of three paying customers looks bad. Live and learn .

19. copper

copper Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Some pictures of Pearl she is just a wonderfull dog I am sure she will be fine she is a wonderfull hunting dog and as you can see member of family last year I met a guy who had not hunted phesants for many year he said he had hunted with many dogs felt it was not worth it at end of season he was talking about getting a Vizla He said she just made his year he had always thought after the first week was not worth it NE PA we did very well all season well who doesn,t brag on the dog sweet PEARL. She does not have a mean bone in her body

20. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Copper, your V-dog is spoiled.

Good for you....and her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.