Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bird/Bead and Eye Training

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  mono1393 
#1 ·
I have been practicing mount and point on objects at a distance (while dry firing). I find that with two eyes open, my point of aim is not always down the rib below my right eye. I believe I have strong binocular vision, with a slightly dominant right eye (confirmed subjectively by eye exam).

It seems to me that if you practiced pointing with left eye blocked (or closed), after many, many hours you would automatically point correctly with the right eye aligned. Then you should be able to mount and shoot with both eyes open, with the resultant advantage.

Does anyone believe this would work? Can anyone confirm that they trained their eyes this way?

Danny

#2 ·
Danny, practicing on still targets won't help much, from my experience. You've got it right about the importance of eye training though. There's a difference between watching a clay fly from the trap than actually looking intently at its leading edge and bringing the bead into the proper place! Even that seemingly simple process is learned, not a given. It seems to me a lot of shooters use their peripheral without knowing exactly what's happening, awareness wise. On the "Bird/Bead/Relationship", I asked, what triggers the impulse to release or pull the trigger at the proper time? Didn't get an answer, didn't really expect one either. I honestly feel the separation between the top shooters dominance is partly attributed to their ability to see a clay much different than those of us that only watch a whole target as its in the air as we shoot trap. Those shooters know before the shot ever gets to the clay, they've broken it. How do they know that? They saw the necessary, proper relationship, (with whatever method they call it) and knew the bird was toast! To the rest of us, days like that are our "hot" days when we know or "see" the same thing? Hap

#4 ·
Danny,

I may be like you. I have a slightly dominate right eye, in my case I see a ghost barrel to the right. I use to have a lot of missing of left to right targets. Meadow Industries Vari-Brite-Site II/III has helped me. This is a fiber-optic sight that has a channel that blocks the off eye from seeing the bead. I suggest you give the fiber-optic sights with some sort of blocker a good try, at least a 1000 targets.

Jason

#5 ·
Danny,

I trained myself to shoot two-eyes by using a patch over my left eye for about a month while leaving the left eye open when I shot. I think it did help. When I took the patch off, it was helpful to see the whole field when I looked for the target.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.