1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bipolar Shooter

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by j9, Oct 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. j9

j9 TS Member

I am either on or off, hot or cold, locked on or seriously confused. Why is it that some days I can shoot awesome scores and other days, I can't hit the broad side of a barn. I want so much to be a consistent shooter, but it is nothing but hills and valleys the last several months.

2. jimx200

jimx200 Member

It's this thing called life that gets in the way....wife or gf, kids, mortgage, job stress, etc. Shooting good scores requires absolute concentration. Try getting plenty of rest before a shoot, think only of targets and visualize each target breaking. At the line, find that calm place (gee, sounding rather zen now...lol), and think about 1 target at a time. For me, I have 2 cups of dark roast coffee before shooting to keep me fully "on" and have to totally block out everything...work, kids, wife, everything..to shoot a good score. In fact, after shooting 100 straight...I would realize that I did not remember much about the whole event.

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Well it is definitely not Bipolar but it is frustrating. I can break a 98 in Singles or an 89 depending on my ability to see the targets on a given day. An eye exam might help but you have to stick to the basics and one of my mottos is: "Experimenting leads to forgetting to Look at the Bird".

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have dealt with a lot of people who are bipolar as a Paramedic and none of them should ever be around guns, let alone loaded guns ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

"Split with Reality" is a description of Schizoprenia and Mood swings is characteristic of Bipolar Disorder. Both illnesses are treatable with medication and psychiatric therapy however Bipolar is probably easier to successfully manage.

6. shadow

shadow Active Member

I left my carry pistol on the nightstand to go downstairs and fix Sunday breakfast. The Bi-Polar ex-wife found it and shot a hole thru 3 walls and put a ding in a metal closey door.

Bi-Polar folks and firearms mix like oil and water.

7. j9

j9 TS Member

Let me rephrase. I was using the term bipolar as a metaphor, figurative, not literal. Not a good idea. Sorry!

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Hey J9,

What you were getting at is also refered to as 'the zone'. When your in the zone smashing targets is easy and you really don't have to think about it or even try hard. When you are not in the zone you overthink everything and second guess yourself and miss a lot of targets. Very tense and frustrating. How you get into the zone is something you need to figure out for yourself. If you master that you have mastered the mind game of trap. (few of us will ever get there) I try to get into the zone by thinking of something other than trap that is also good and important in my life. A smiling dog usually works but the idea is to take your focus off the concept that the next round of targets is vitally important to your outlook on life. Remember your shooting for fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shooter probably bipolar