1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BIODEGRADEABLE TGTS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by break25, May 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. break25

break25 TS Member

Is there any way to make the degrage faster? We would like to get rid of the
    ORANGE PATCH. Before covering with dirt,what can do to speed things up?

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Run over them with an aerator or a sheeps foot. This will break them up into smaller pieces, but it still takes a day or two.

Don't forget to put a little ag lime down so the soil ph will stay where it should.

ss

3. break25

break25 TS Member

Thanks

4. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Lime will increase the PH and negate the sulfuric acid in the targets in effect possibly slowing down the process. I would do nothing chemically to speed them up. Crushing them will increase the surface area and should do the trick. WHite Flyer says Two years before totally gone. Dave T.

5. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

How are they on you machine? Its my understanding that they will rust an metal they touch.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Auctioneer- Certainly any target dust on the machine will form an acid if it becomes damp. I do wish that White Flyer would look up the meaning of the term biodegradable.

Pat Ireland

7. alf174

alf174 Member

bio·de·grad·able : capable of being broken down especially into innocuous products by the action of living things (as microorganisms).

I think they would put the emphasis on "capable" lol.

8. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Autioneer you are right. Our machine was badly pitted from the Bio's even with regular cleaning. We switched back to pitch, problem solved. Adding the dead grass(I mean all vegatation) and the ensueing erosion those Bio's are not worth it. Dave T.

9. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I read these issues about the WF Bios from select naysayers all the time and can't understand why other than some of the vegetation kill, we experience NONE of the other problems other clubs experience - and we do nothing special.

We throw 100,000s of Bios every year and have done so for 10 YEARS. Our machines get plenty of dust, but somehow they manage to stay UNPITTED, without any extra work from us. We get plenty of moisture outside Chicago... our piles degrade and yet our property exhibits NONE of the pH issues allegedly throwing Mother nature a curve ball... and we do nothing to the soil.

We've got retention ponds, our water gets tested and the dreaded runoff is doing nothing... we have no fish kill, no frogs leaving the water or wetlands...

What is it?! Do the laws of chemistry just not apply to our 15 acres?!

...and for you guys who like to throw the digs... "Biodegradable" - Funk & Wagnalls definition... "Capable of being broken down, as a compound, by bacterial action"... If you have an issue with their product being mislabeled, bring action action against the company for intentional deception or fraud...

Otherwise, Phil and his guys make a good product which fills a niche and at the same time, saves me 1000s of dollars in annual cleanup fees I don't have to expend to move unsightly, growing target piles any longer!

regards all,

Jay Spitz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.