1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Biodegradeable targets - radar

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by duh, Nov 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duh

duh TS Member

I and my son-in-law have been able to successfully radar and determine speed of standard white flyer targets and remington targets.

We have not been able to determine speed of biodegradable targets - they do not seem to register.

Is this unique to us or has anyone else experienced it.

Thanking you I am duh

2. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

We use a low-power gun to radar our bio targets, no issues. Gun held on the back of the house (per the instructions in the ATA document).

Scott

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

I use the chronograph sold by Pat trap. Works fine, if the back sensor is in the shade, just shine a flashlight on it.

4. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have never understood the principal behind a radar gun. If you use a cross pole of the prescribed height and the proper distance from the house and the spring in set so the bird lands between the required 48 to 52 yards, where does the radar come into play?

5. Cherokee Kid

Cherokee Kid TS Member

Dave, it a a flat ground or wind issue.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

And wind can be a major issue. With a 15 MPH South wind (trap facing N), a 50 yard target is illegal.

Pat Ireland

7. abacus

abacus TS Member

Duh, you might have a box of the new stealth White Flyer bio's? Just kidding! My Pro-Speed reads both regular and bio's the same, no problem.

8. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I don't shoot registered birds so I don't know what or if there are rules for radar guns. Neither of the two clubs I shoot at use them either. It was intended to be an honest question Paladin! Pardon me for being so dumb.

9. Hauser

Hauser Member

Dave P

The basic parameters you quoted are for the most part correct however the rules state the parameters apply to targets set in "still air".

If the wind is blowing you are going to set the targets at a different speed in order to get them to reach the stake.

When you use a radar gun your setting the targets speed (42.5mph). The net result is if you use a radar gun properly you only need to set the speed and height and it doesn't matter how hard the wind is blowing. Its very easy to set all traps consistently.

Jerry Hauser

Jerry Hauser

10. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Dave P; Pardon me for being so dumb. You have my apology. My misinterpreting post will be deleted.

This is the place to learn all about trapshooting,,and just about everything else under the sun.

11. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

Don't worry, I betting in a few years radar guns will be old technology. At my golf club they had a Ping demo day. The guys from ping had a radar system was a yellow screen something like a flat screen TV about 2'x2' and about 4" thick. Then a laptop was set up on a table just behind it. All you had to do was hit the ball from a few yards in front of this thing and the laptop would show your club head spead, your ball speed, and the ark of your shot. If they used this for trap they could set the target height, speed and distance all at the same time. With the guns you still need to have someone carry the old pole out and set the height. You also have to center the machine first. This system could cut the time needed to set of a trap by a bunch and it would be more accurate.

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I think you will lose your bet. Trap is stuck in the stone age and new technology is not on the horizon. HMB

13. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

hmb,

You could be right, but then again just a few years ago nobody was using radar guns. Now you see them at every shoot in my area.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.