1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Biodegradable Wads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by timb99, Apr 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Anybody notice the ad in the TrapshootingUSA for Downrange Biodegradable wads?

Interesting idea. I think I like it.

Just talked to Kevin Lewis about this.

These wads will have about a two year shelf life, so not to be horded or left in a loaded shell for a long time.

He said the high temperature of the shot kind of "jump-starts" the disintigration process.

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

A friend of mine shoots in England and he told me that they use a paper wad. Bill Malcolm

3. oletymer

oletymer Member

It would be nice if Downrange would update their website with information. Do they use the same data? Their site still does not show wads that they have had out for several years. Great wads, lousy website information.

4. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

rev, remember them well....used them when I first started loading. Back in the late 60's.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

JF,

Kevin tells me the wads disintegrate into carbon.

6. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I don't need biodegradable wads or hulls. When I come across old wads and hulls after only a few years they are already being absorbed by the earth. I suppose after a few thousand years if there are still humans they might be digging and come across an old decomposed hull or wad in the layers of earth. I don't think it will bother them that much. Kind of like when we dig up something from the past now. They will probably find it vaguely interesting. Maybe it will go in an old shooting museum.

7. dverna

dverna Active Member

Not for me. A two year shelf life is unacceptable.

We have no problem dumping tons of lead on the ground but worry about plastic wads that are relatively easy to clean up - assuming that is the reason for wanting them to degrade.

We let kids chew on plastic toys, we drink from plastic containers, and we eat with plastic forks off plastic plates. If the plastic doesn't degrade, it cannot harm you or the environment.

I like DR wads; but this looks like solution looking for a problem.

Don Verna

8. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

You can buy biodegradable wads whichI believe were made in England. Wads were made from corn starch. They worked ok.

9. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

dverna said:,
    "I like DR wads; but this looks like solution looking for a problem."

I visited the factory recently and have a few sample wads. I thought Kevin stated that the petals would be gone in two years and the base would take 2 more years for a total of four years to completely erase itself. I will post a picture if I have one for all to see.

I don't think DR was looking to create a problem but to anticipate what anti guns would be using against shotgun shooters in the future trying to close our ranges. Antis claimed that the build up of lead is toxic. Many ranges mined their lead and made a plan for lead reclamation. It is not as big of an issue now so the antis need another BIG issue to push. The Biodegradeble wad will be the solution to those ranges whose antis are now focusing on plastic buildup since most of the lead is being mined. I think it is more thinking and planning what your antis may use against you. IMHO Omaha

10. omahasportingsupply

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of the bio wad from Downrange Manufacturing.

11. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

Hello.......am I missing something? If a wad is efficient and effective, reasonably priced and biodegradeable, why would we shooters want to leave plastic wads on the ground for our grandkids to pick up. I am certainly for conserving and maintaining our outdoor resources and I do believe DownRange is proactive in its approach. I applaud any company for efforts to be green.

12. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Longhorn--- I agree with your views 100%. Why must everything be so difficult. I see no harm in a company trying to help us preserve our resources. It takes our support in order for ideas like this to take hold and i am personally for it. In this day and age where it seems everyone is turning anti-gun why not show our efforts to do some good for the environment that may in turn give some more positive publicity to our shooting sports.---Matt

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

Nothing wrong with degradable plastic wads or plastic drink bottles (I suspect they are degradable, but not biodegradable). But, if the shelf life of the wads and drink containers is not adequate, some problems could arise for both shooters and grocery stores.

Using a general formula for plastic and my limited chemistry, it seems as if one of the products from degrading plastic would be CO2. Does anyone want to get into a discussion of CO2 emissions from old wads?

Pat Ireland

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Pat,

When you finnish shooting for the day just go down range and retreive your wads. Then you can use them again or save them to be recycled by the plastic industry. Biodegradeable wads, ridiculous. HMB

15. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

If they have a 2 yr. shelf life wouldn't they have to have something like a born on date on the bag. I mean, what if they were in a stores inventory for a year before you bought them. That is 1 year gone already, better use them quick. As stated we still would have the lead problem! I see it as a good concept but doubt it will get off the ground. Colonel

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Maybe thay will come in vacuum sealed containers that reflect sun light. HMB

17. Smity

Smity Member

Plastic at the range -- they will be picked up and used again or recycled.
    Biodegradable when hunting.

You also have to consider the manufacturing process. It could be worse for the environment to make a biodegradable wad. Is there any info on that?

Let's not talk about this anymore, some liberal puke is going to hear about it and try to make it a law!

By the way, I bring my own reusable shopping bags to the grocery store - nothing wrong with a reusable wad, if you can collect it.

Smity

18. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I have been hunting the same grounds for decades now. I don't notice the ground is being covered up in plastic wads. Like most liberal causes a lot to do about NOTHING. In time the earth covers our waste. It goes deeper and deeper. If we were all gone tomorrrow you would be amazed at how quickly the earth would reclaim everything we have done. Liberals need to get a life. When you stop believing in God and family and freedom you are forced to make up causes to give some small amount of meaning to your meaningless life. That is what liberals specialize in.

19. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I knew a guy once that picked up used wads, tossed them in a washing machine then dryer, and reused them. He also made is own shot. The cheapest shooter I ever met.

20. omahasportingsupply

I think Kevin said it would take the weather as in rain, snow, and sunlight to start the process. I think it was intended to remove the issue of plastic buildup from the table by people trying to close ranges. If this is not an issue in your area, it may not effect or apply to you. IMHO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
do shotgun wads have a shelve life
biodegradable shotgun wad

biodegradable shotgun wads

biodegradable wads

degradable shotgun wad
do shotgun wad bio degrade
laws re biodegradable shotgun wads