1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Biodegradable vs. pitch tar targets

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by K-80/John, Mar 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K-80/John

K-80/John TS Member

Our local trap club is entertaining a discussion as to whether there is any difference in “the break” between bio vs. standard trap targets. We would like to hear from those who can compare the action when the shot hits the target.

2. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

I'll take the pitch every time. There were a few good treads on this subject last year. Bruce

3. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

We have been shooting the bio's for a year or so. The overall consensis is that they "SUCK". Several times after shooting, we have picked up unbroken targets that have as many as 5-6 holes in them. We used to only see this on pitch targets that got wet. Bill

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Suck is the correct evaluation. They get hit and keep on flying. Plus the sulfur kills the local vegetation. HMB

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

You best use 7.5's on Bio's. You have to whack them to break them. I've hit them and they've jumped all over the sky without breaking. Hit them in the middle, they'll puff ball.

6. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

I wouldn't buy the bio's unless absolutely necessary. We tried them when pitch were in short supply. Now, we always make sure we have enough pitch targets on hand so we don't get into that situation again.

Tom

7. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

The bio targets to my understanding is hard on your machines. I was told they will rust your metal.

8. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Like it was mentioned------"BIO'S SUCK"!!!!!!!!

Sandy Holehouse

9. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

The dust can be corrosive if allowed to accumulate on your machine. Keep it blown off.

10. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

My club is required to throw them. To be honest I cant tell any difference but thats just me. Why couldnt your club get a 1000 or so Bio's on the next truck and see how they work. Easy experiment.

11. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

We took a semi-load several years ago when we had no choice. We were almost out and that's all we could get at the time. I think White Flyer overestimated the demand (and acceptance) for the damn things, because they evidently were all geared up for producing them, and for a little while the pitch targets were hard to get.

1) They will cause pitting on the throw plate if you allow dust to accumulate. The dust will draw damp and it doesn't take much to cause pitting of the steel.

2) The target debris *WILL* kill grass.

3) Harder to break? I'm not absolutely sure. Certainly, it's easier to see the "puff" of dust when a pellet or two (or three, four, etc.) hits the target without breaking it. Most folks at our club were convinced they were harder to break.

Never again if we can help it.

12. shadow

shadow Active Member

It doesnt matter---I cant hit either kind.

13. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

While the shooters at my club couldn't see much, if any, difference in the breaking they liked the black "smoke" of the pitch targets vs the white "smoke" of the bios.

Also, I know for a fact that there can be a build up of residue from the bios on the plate of a Pat Trap and if not removed regularly resulting in broken thrown targets.

We were having a lot of breakage and went back to the pitch targets and now very rarely throw broken targets.

Allen

14. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Bios contain sulfur as a binder. Bio dust/moisture= sulfuric acid. This is what eats up the machines. Some clubs don't have much choice what to shoot. We shoot the bio and clean the machines frequently.

15. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

My club was one of the first to use the Bio in late 2000. We continue to throw the Bio with excellent results... nearly 11 years = 2,000,000 + birds...

Now regarding the breaks... I would say pitch targets in general appear easier to break. However, I shoot a lightweight steel load (1100 fps 3/4oz) and break them all day long from 16 and handicap. At night, Bios can make a nice "white" puffball if smoked. We experience all four seasons - Chicago

Now, regarding all the negative comments... yes, the target debris can kill some vegetation, but as a trap range, it actually does us a favor by killing tall nesting grasses. Additionally, we no longer have to manage target debris (read SAVE money) as the targets really do degrade well! (outside Chicago, good moisture and UV)

We've had Remington 4100s and now PatTraps - and NEVER had issues regarding acid pitting, but then we keep our machines clean and dry... lastly, Bios are a bit more durable and we have little shrinkage from broken birds on the pallet - whichmay also go to the issue of tougher breakage on the fly.

Our operation could not be happier with Phil Murray and the White Flyer Bio target!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bio-degrade vs pitch trap targets