1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bio targets?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shot410ga, Mar 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I shot some bio targets today. Lots of dust, but unless I got a lot of shot into the target no pieces. Everyone else felt the same way. The question came up: are bio targets harder, to break? And also what are they made of in comparison to the standard target?

2. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

I used to shoot at a Club that threw them and I hated them. I always use 1 oz of 8 1/2's for 16 yd. but those damn hard things wouldn't break unless I used light 8's. (1 1/8 oz.)

I asked White Flyer at the Grand one year why they were so hard and they told me they are the same hardness as the pitch targets. I don't believe that for a second.

Tim

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Bio targets are part of a Democratic conspiracy to lower your trap scores. HMB

4. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Just a questions but do these Bio targets have a name? What is the name of them?

Bob Lawless

5. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

As I've been told, all targets are made of limestone and a binder. Regular targets used to use pitch as the binder but are now, mostly, held together with a petroleum product. Bio's are made with a biodegradable binder. In both cases, the binder is the most expensive part of the recipe, so they use as little as possible while still maintaining enough strength so they don't break when leaving the trap arm. If you're not breaking them, either you're not putting enough shot on the target or you got an extra hard batch of targets.

JMO

Ed Yanchok

PS It could also be your trap not putting enough spin on the target

6. Smity

Smity Member

Let's go back to live birds. They're biodegradable. Smity

7. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

We shot a lot of White Flyer bio's and there seemed to be no difference in the breaks. The binder I believe was sulfur and the grass was killed everywhere they degraded. We finally went back to pitch targets as we were cleaning up the bios to try to keep them from killing everything anyway.

8. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Our club threw a container's worth of bios. I don't think they were any harder to break, but I do think the white dust is a lot easier to see on dusted targets.

Yesterday at a shoot, the sun was just right in the morning to see dust from the regular pitch targets. I was surprised at how many targets were getting dusted without breaking. Having walked target fields and seen the number of whole targets with holes and then considering how many targets with hole must break only when they hit the ground, I think that a surprising number of lost targets are actually hit by pellets but light condidtions don't show the dark dust.

However, I don't think the bio's corrosive dust is good for the trap machines, particularly in a high humidity climate.

9. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

A few years back, we got a semi load of them. We were running low and that's all we could get.

As to being bad for grass, it seemed so, but we only threw them the one year. Some folks thought they were hard to break, but scores didn't really bear that out. As to Bios being bad for trap machines, yes, definitely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.