1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BIO Targets

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grntitan, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I read and hear often about the biodegradeable targets. What is the actual difference between them and regular targets? I was under the impression that regular clay birds were enviornmentally friendly and would just disentegrate over time. I used to haul powder lime to the Midwest Target factory in Litchfield IL but thats about the extent of my knowledge on clay bird ingredients.

Matt

2. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Basically Bio Targets are acid based that "melt" with rain and degrad over-time. But because of this they will wipe out all vegatation in your field. Not so much of a concern for flat fields but for a field like mine, on a side hill, we had bad erosion as a result. We went back to pitch targets and replanted the hill. Grass is back in and stabilized. Dave T.

3. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

The "Bio" targets leave a residue on the plate of a Pat Trap that causes broken targets.

We went back to the "Pitch" targets and now rarely get a broken target.

Allen

4. Baber

Baber TS Member

Bio is a misnomer. They are made of a sulfur product and when mixed with water (rain) turns into sulfuric acid and kills and ruins everything it touches. It also moves the pH in the wrong direction for good lead reclaimination. Suggest you avoid them.

TB

5. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Some of us have noticed that when we go to a registered shoot where they are throwing the old type targets that many of the breaks are smoke, but in our opinion the bio targets will not smoke no matter how hard you hit them. This is not a scientific study, just an observation by a bunch of old shooters. Jack

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

They suck. HMB

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

In other words, the regular clay targets are better for the environment than the quote "BIO" targets? HMMM sounds almost like false advertisement. Thanks for the responses guys.

Matt

8. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

The pitch target do not degrade overtime they stay there for years and years. They also have a petroleum base and everyone should know what that means to environmentalists.

The club that I shot at for many years had relocated their trap fields due to room requirements for the 27yd line. I mowed the fields in the location where the trap fields used to be. If you stepped on the differential lock on the tractor. It would tear up the turf where the tractor pivoted on the locked wheel. Just under the surface of turf was clay pitch type targets that have been there for 40 to 50 years.

Bob Lawless

9. Browning Boy

Browning Boy Member

Our Club used BIO targets for a couple of years as it was suggested by the a group fron the EPA. We were told that by using BIO targets most P.C groups ie enviro people would not persue tring to close our clubs trap fields down because the word BIO was enviromentaly friendly. Well after 2 years of dust for fields we went back to pitch targets and green fields. Our biggest problem is wads. Nobody will take them for recycling so we just put them in roll off dumpster which is then taken to a local land fill.

George Ware

10. porky

porky TS Member

If you work the clay targets around a bit with a york rake or regular farm style drsgs, regular targets will disappear and grass will grow where they where. However, due to the contaminents in the pitch, you can't use anything grown in that soil.

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I recall an old post going back almost a decade that someone said they would set some bio clays out to let them absorb moisture, becoming rubbery. He'd then slip one in during practice to annoy the shooters, because it would not break.

12. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Brian, So that's why every now and then the target I shot at did not break. It must have gotten wet the day before. LOL. Break-em all. Jeff

13. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I've found most of the shooters who complain they can't break BIO's can't break pitch targets either. Just put the load where it belongs and they'll smoke. They even tend to have a brighter color than pitch targets. Just because light hits will produce more visible white smoke doesn't mean they're harder to break. You doubters might want to visit a trap range after the shoot and pick up plenty of pitch targets with holes and scuffs!!

14. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

My range has used BIO targets successfully since 2/2001. I'm not sure why ranges have maintenance issues with them, but we never do. Maybe we just attend to our equipment better...

Yes the targets employ a sulfur binder. We have some vegetation kill, but that actually has benefited our trap shotfall zones as we no longer have to contend with nesting geese...

Our range gets as much moisture in Chicago as anywhere else in the lower 48 and we have never had sulfuric acid issues with our groundwater testing (done periodically to meet the requirements of our NPDES permit) or damage to either our former Remington 4100s or our three present PATs.

Bios break fine. We get very little ancillary breakage. With the moisture we do get, our targets break down over a couple years and we avoid the unsightly "piles" of pitch targets we used to have to look at... PLUS no cost to remove or TCLP test.

respectfully,

Jay Spitz

15. Lou Braun

Lou Braun TS Supporters TS Supporters

We have been using the bio clays for 3 years now. They smoke just fine (if you hit them).

No problems with soil contamination or anything else. These clays seem to work well and degrade quickly when exposed to sun and rain (we have plenty of that).

Lou Braun

16. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

We have one club near us that throws them.

I'm a real fan of 1oz 8.5 for singles, but struggle to break 93 when we go there.

Last time went to STS 1-1/8oz 7.5 light handicap (1200fps) and broke 98.

Was it the day or did the loads matter?? I'm convinced the heavier loads helped on those rock-hard targets.

SW

17. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

My home club throws white flyer pitch for trap, and white flyer bio for skeet.

I don't see a visible difference in how they break, but trap breaks are hard to compare to skeet breaks due to the different distances involved.

18. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

If your going to shoot Bio targets, use a heavy load of 7.5's. We tried them for a while, and I could see dust and the target bouncing all over the place with my light one ounce 8.5's at the 16, with no visible breakage. I went to 1 1/8 7.5's heavies and turned the targets to dust. Just my observation over about 6 months.

19. porky

porky TS Member

When you use Bio's, you need to lime the fields every year because of the acid content. If your fields slope towards the shot fall area without the lime treatment, the acid will flow towards the lead shot and act on the lead, putting it in suspension. Then it can get into the waterways.

20. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Allen: Good point. I forgot to mention that. I was constantly sanding my Pat-Traps steel plate and the Silicone spraying it. No more of that with the pitch targets. Dave T.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bio targets

trap shooters bio