1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bio targets..are they?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Pointer, Mar 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pointer

Pointer TS Member

Well,

I don't know that I have anything against Bio targets, but..I let my daughter shoot a couple targets with her bb gun in the back yard. They happened to be the bio targets. I let the broken targets sit..(heck they are bio, they will go away) 14 months now, even the smallest chips look new still. This is near Seattle...we don't let our children play outside for fear they will degrade.

Are we falling for eco enviornmental organic..bull crap?

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

They do bio-degrade at a much faster rate than the pitch targets but 14 months is a little on the too soon side. Lots of direct sunlight speeds up the process.

I wouldn't worry about your kids playing around a few target chips, but if it is that unsettling just rake up what you can.

One of the reasons that we will see more and more clubs using bio targets is because they are a lower cost target than their pitch counterparts. The savings are on the order of $3K per truckload and that is very significant to most small clubs.

3. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

Maybe these Bio's will answer the 30 yard question, as most think they are harder to break??

Tomas

4. skeezix

skeezix Member

I'm not sure the point is that they break down - it's just that they are non-toxic (or at least much less toxic than pitch targets.) They are not toxic as they are and they don't break down into anything harmful.

From the reports at our last BOD meeting, White Flyer is having issues getting pitch - and is not accepting any orders for pitch targets. Hello Bio's here we come.

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Just bought a pallet of Bios because pitch is not available and wont be until summer

6. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

The lack of pitch availability resulted in the end of Remington target production. Maybe we oughta get used to Bios!!

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I shot some bio targets at my mother-in-law's ranch. Took them over a year to degrade. But when they did they burned the grass up. But the following year the burned grass areas were big tall clumps compared to the grass around them. They seem to act like concentrated fertilizer.

I recall an ancient post here about how a club that had high humidity conditions was finding the bio targets were becoming rubbery and difficult to break.

In both cases above, this goes back a decade. I dunno if the bio targets made today are exactly the same as those back then.

8. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Our club shoots bio targets, but many of the surrounding clubs shoot the old style targets. No scientific evidence, but in my opinion, you can't reallly "smoke" a bio target like the old pitch birds! Jack

9. wlc

wlc Member

Our club shoots Bios against a dark background. You get lots of light colored smoke but it wouldn't show up well against a sky background. We are in an arid area and the broken target just seem to lay there. After using them for several years, I don't see any evidence of breakdown.

10. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

We have shot bio targets at my home club now for 4 years. Many of our better shooters are now using 7/8 oz. loads from 16 yds. to save money. Our bios (White Flyers) seem to actually break better than the pitch targets. That nice white puff against a blue sky is gratifying when you center the target.

11. Ohio Bob

Ohio Bob Member

We have shot bio targets in the past with no problems. Breakdown in a couple of months. You will here about how they kill the grass and all, and this is true in some regions, since they are made of sulphur.

White Flyer will tell you that if you lime the area, it will take care of the problem because it is the PH level that is causing the problem, we never had that problem.

I always thought that White Flyer had the real opportunity to corner the target market. Sulphur is a by product of oil refining and there for should be in abundant supply and should be less expensive as they have to get rid of it somewhere. Make bio targets at a good price and everyone would switch over. I don't care if the "smoke" I just care that they break.

Smoke or chip, it's still a bar on the paper.

IMHO

OB

12. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

I just received 24 pallets of pitch type targets from Norfhwest targets
    no problem.

Bill

13. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Martinpicker, you can smoke the bio just as well as the pitch targets. You just cant see the smoke because it is a lighter color of smoke.

14. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

We've been throwing the Bio since 2001... with all the moisture and sunshine we get in Chicago, the target piles break down well... saves us a bundle on removal... we have never had the pH issues some clubs mention.

As a trap-only club, the targets are well away and any "cosmetic" issues are not a problem for us... we have also never had any of the trap-related problems some clubs complain about - etching from sulfuric acid, etc...

We shoot at night and under the lights the Bios can smoke nicely, but we do not get the complete smoke-ball that you might get with a pitch target... BTW... pitch targets don't break down at all... at least not in a couple of decades from our personal experience ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.