1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bio target question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeezix, Jul 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeezix

skeezix Member

One of the characteristics of the WF Bio targets you read about is that they kill vegetation. I'd like to know if anyone uses the WF bio's and manages to keep grass alive via soil treatments or something else. The savings over WF pitch looks attractive - but we work hard to maintain the grounds and I wouldn't want to turn the trap and skeet fields into a dirt scape.

I understand that the bios are sulpher based and tend to change the Ph of the soil to acidic. I presume periodic treatment with lime or something would help - I've no idea of amount, frequency, annual costs.

2. Baber

Baber TS Member

skeezix

You are right on this issue. They will turn your club white. Biodegradable is a misnomer. If you are not careful they will take your soil Ph in the wrong direction for lead abatement. They will corrode your traps in some climates. Personally I hate them but a $2-3 a box difference we will put up with their drawbacks.

Tom

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

They do produce sulfuric acid as they break down and this will lower the soil pH. Not a problem in my area where everything is alkaline. If you really need to neutralize your soil, you might want to try soda ash dissolved in water which could be sprayed over the drop zone. Lime is pretty hash and easy to OD with.

We also noticed the dust produced in the traphouse is a bit of an irritant to the eyes and nose. We are installing fans to cut down on this problem.

Now on to the pluses, we are enjoying a substancial cost savings with the bio targets and they are readily available. The targets break well when shot and do give a satifying white cloud of smoke when you center them in the pattern. As things stand now, I don't see our club going back to pitch targets.

4. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

They also give a very unsatisfying puff of white dust when they don't break as well....:) I dusted one so hard I couldn't believe it didn't break. Cost me a perfect score. Oh well...

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Catching Chrome - that is what we were worried about and to be honest I was very skeptical about the Bios - but we are on our second load and I am not seeing a problem with the bios not breaking when hit. The score board confirms this as well, we are getting as many 100x100s as ever.

6. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

I have to agree that the Bios are OK for the most part. Every now I seem to get a extra hard one, but for the most part I haven't seen much of a difference, except for the winter time. I combat it by shooting hard 7.5s with a little extra speed. I shot my first 100 straight last week and we were shooting Bios. So i agree there isn't much of a difference. I was just disappointed when I lost a bird and it had the white flash. I thought to myself how didn't that break? Not enought pellets I guess...

7. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

I have literally seen the center of a chandelle sporting target disappear in a puff of white smoke and no visible piece of the target fell. You could honest to God see daylight through the middle of the target.

At a FITASC shoot a month ago, I watched three good shooters blow a pound of dust off of a 45 yard target presentation, and then I stepped in the peg and did the same thing.

As a result I'm shooting a full choke for everything these days.

8. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

I do know that it is very, very difficult to break a BIO at 16 yards with my usual 1 oz. of #8 1/2's
    I used to shoot a league at a club that throws them and went to 2 3/4 dram #8's to get the job done.

Tim

9. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

Our shooters hated them! They can be corrosive to the trap machines (pitting of throwing plate). We will NOT go back to Bios!! Our last WF pitch were $10.55 per carton including tax. We charge $4 per 25 targets.

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Must be the Wilkenson choke on my K-80 barrel that makes beautiful white smoke of everyone I actually hit. Much brighter color and cheaper too!!

11. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

If you hit them properly they will break and they get smoked on a regular basis at our club . If your off then a pellet or 2 will give off that white smoke as Lost is Called . Years ago at the PA State shoot , I went into the fields with an officer and picked up many WF Black Rimmed targets with 3 and 4 pellet holes in them . AS for targets in the field , we notice no foliage loss from broken targets . The weeds are just as plentifull for 2 years of build-up . I still have a few pieces in my flower bed next to my garage that I use for an experiment on how long it takes to disintergrate . All day sun and rain from over a 1year and going strong !!!!

12. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

My club has 12 years of experience throwing the White Flyer Bio. Now we only throw trap, so from that perspective the vegetation kill issue is a non-issue for us... further from a pH standpoint, and we test monthly, 12 years worth of Bios have never required us to drop one bag of lime...

Regarding maintenance, we keep our traphouses clean and our equipment dry... maybe a few clubs should call "Hazel" and have her come in once a week... or fixed the trap roofs and doors to keep the rain out - in Chicago we get plenty of moisture (although not so much this summer)... if anyone were to have acid issues we'd be one of them!

As far as breaking birds - our club throws steel, 2/3 weight of lead and we're breaking birds with 1 oz #7 steel shot out to 60+ yards... so anyone who says they can't break Bios needs more practice...

All anyone has to do is follow Joe Kuhn on his 100 Steel Challenge... 98/100 maybe it's magic steel shot...

If you throw Skeet, it will get a bit ugly... Clubs that throw the Bio and use stone as opposed to grass on their fields don't have any issue...

Lastly, Bios degrade. In 12 years, I haven't had to scrape a pile or pay to have targets removed. What's that worth to you?! With water and sunlight they breakdown. My range with it's adjacent ponds getting all the runoff, have NO fish kill, algae blooms, pH changes... nothing.

12 years of weekly experience for your consideration... have questions - send me a PM...

Jay Spitz

13. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

Our club uses White Flier Bios and we like them very much.

- If you hit them, they will break!

- Cheaper than pitch targets

- No more problem with bios killing grass than a pile of pitch targets killing the grass

- Very satisfying puff of white 'smoke' when the center is hit

Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.