1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bio-diesel

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by steele, Dec 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steele

steele TS Member

Anyone on here ever made their own bio-diesel? I have heard so many pro/con arguements about it, I don't know what to believe. I have access to a continuing quantity of french fry grease/oil. I know one guy who runs this stuff thru his diesel truck constantly with no real problem. The local car service tells me, that conventional diesel fuel has certain lubricants added for the pumps/injectors, & the bio-diesel will cause pump/injector problems.
    Another guy tells me he has to pay road tax on what he makes & uses. I have several diesel tractors/dozers on my farm & if I can save enough, I might try it. At worst case, at least blend it with conventional. Butch from Pgh

2. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

I know a guy who has a few 1 ton cube vans for his delivery company. He has been producing bio-diesel for them for several years now, and keeps saying how great it is, trying to sell all the diesel truck drivers he knows on the stuff he produces, and wants to sell to us. We just listen politely, nod occasionally, and don't argue with him, or commit to trying it. We do this because :

1. He is a nice guy, and it really isn't worth it to set him straight about how wrong he is from our point of view.

2. We know he is wrong, because by his own admission, he has had to change out at LEAST 3 injector pumps. Not repair, not reseal, not retime. Totally replace unusable pieces of scrap. The mechanic who does his repairs tells him each time that the bio-diesel is responsible, but he read an article about it which said it was totally safe for use in all vehicles, and won't listen to any other viewpoint.

3. His vehicles are almost impossible to start if it gets cool out. Not cold, but cool - in the mid 40s. If it gets down in the 30s, they cannot be shut off, as they won't start again, after as little as 5 minutes.

4. The vehicles smell like the back end of a greasy spoon restaurant, which should have changed the deep fryer oil 2 weeks ago. I, for one, prefer the smell of petroleum products coming out of my truck.

If you are bound and determined to try it, use something you won't mind scrapping after the test.

3. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

I know of a few fellows that claim to run home made diesel on a couple diesel sites I visit. They claim to have no problems like the guy Shooting Sailor is referring to. I imagine there are different 'recipes' and yes there has to be lubrication additives. I don't know the specifics. However, one guy on a forum I know claims to have gotten jammed up by state authorities basically because he bragged about how he was making his own diesel, blah, blah, blah, with window decals and such. He got jammed for not paying taxes.

So I would find out if you have to pay taxes, if you get caught the fine will be big enough it will more than wipe out any potential savings. Also like shooting sailor said, test it on something other than you primary vehicle. There will probably be some issues up front until the 'recipe' is tweaked for your diesel power plant.

4. steele

steele TS Member

As I only use 100-150 galllons a year, I don't think the AF (aggravation factor)
    warrants making it. I just thought it might be a neat idea to try. The only location around me that sells off road fuel has closed. If I go to a local truck stop, I get a a lot of crap from the clerks, when I tell them I don't have to pay the road tax, as use it on the farm. It seems nothing is easy anymore. Thanks for all the imput. I knew someone on TS had some experience with this stuff. Butch from Pgh

5. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Before using biodiesel it would be a good idea to check the owner's manual. For the duramax ony 20% biodiesel can be used and it has to meet the same specs as petroleum diesel. Use more than that and/or untested diesel and your warranty is kaput. There are also many warnings regarding the use of biodiesel in the Chevy/GM. Run homemade diesel and you become your own warranty station.

Interestingly, diesel from the pump can contain up to 5% biodiesel without any notice to the user, no label on the pump or anything.