1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bio-degradable Targets

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by shotgunjoej, Aug 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shotgunjoej

shotgunjoej TS Member

The Board of Directors at our club decided to make the switch to Bio-degradable targets and this has caused an uproar with a few members. I would like to ask others if they have had any major problem with trap machines prematurely rusting using these targets? Did the BOD's do the right thing?

Joe

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Why would you think bio's cause more rust than non-bio's? In fact why would you think any targets cause rust?

Eric

3. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I primarily shoot at two clubs, both using Pat Traps. At one club they use Bios and have a tremendous amount of broken targets ( approx. 20 percent ) while at the other club they use the regular targets and have virtually no breakage. Both clubs have well kept machinery so I am thinking that it's the targets. I'm planning on taking some of the Bios to the club with no breakage to see how they work and to take some of the regulars to the other club to see how they work there. I hope to determine if it's the targets or the machines.

Ed Yanchok

4. Baber

Baber TS Member

You will be sorry. The Bio targets contain sulfur and when the residue gets wet it forma Sulfuric acid which will damage the traps. Additionally the targets kill grass. We shot them for a few years and went back to pitch targets because of all the damage they did. You will be sorry you made the switch.

Tom

5. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

jmheritage,

Talking with one of my trap friends at a small club near here (Fayette County Gun Club just outside of La Grange Texas) they could tell you about Bio targets and the effects of dampness and target residue turning to some type of an acid and they ended up re-building their trap machine due to the rusted parts from this breakdown of the targets. I'm not really sure how it all transpired, if rain got in the house during a shoot or just high condensation and the tiny pieces of targets that seem to accumulate when throwing targets just all around the machine, but during the breakdown of these chips, the effect was major rust and they ended up almost doing a complete overhaul on their machine. It was an earlier model Pat-Trap. Their website is: http://www.fayettecountygunclub.com and there might be a link to someone on there who could better answer you questions. You could also contact Mike McFarlin (their trap chairman at traphelp@yahoo.com) and I'm sure he could tell you all about this problem first hand.

Mike* (MH*)

6. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

The bio,s do have chemicals that will I repeat will eat up the plate from whitch targets are thrown.

7. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

I might also add that we had used Bio's in our machines as well, when our supplier was unavailable to get the pitch targets we always use (when the pitch plants went down for maintenance and everyone had a hard time finding targets). We only use a pallet or two and tried to always blow off the machine as much as possible or use a shop-vac to pick up any remnants of targets chips or powder/dust that shows up when throwing targets. Thsi sulphuric acid was the problem with Fayette County's throwing plate, but I think it got to other araes as well and they ended up doing more than a typical club would want to do as far as just the normal trap maintenance would require.

Mike* (MH*)

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

We've been shooting them over our Super-Stars for several years. The advantages are less target debris and better color. The disadvantages are slightly more target breakage-actually quite minimal, more machine cleaning, and might be a bit more erratic in flight. Best part is the brighter color advantage. We are quite happy throwing BIOS, scores are very high and most shooters don't know the difference!!

9. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I stand corrected about the sulphur/rust problem. We threw bio's for a while and went back to non-bio's due to breakage and cost as I recall.

Eric

10. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

They don't taste as good as the original's!

Curt

11. willing

willing Member

From Lowry:

65% calcium carbonate and 35% petroleum pitch.

From White flyer:
    Bios-No petroleum pitch.
    No mention of other ingredients.

Been using Lowrys at 3 clubs for a few years, no trace of grass damage.

Bill

12. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Every one so far is right on. We had lots of dead grass, went back to WF pitch targets or Lawry, depending on price or availability. If they set in your Pat traps you'll get excessive rusting. Frequently used machines, no problem. The Super star's are aluminum and better grades of steel where they are in contact with the target, therefore no problems. Good health and good shooting, Bob

13. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Ft. Bragg started out with WF Bio's early on. Did it create the problem in the sandy soil, maybe not?

Then they went to Lawry targets and now they are back to WF pitch targets.

FRedmon

14. Bomber61

Bomber61 Member

Our club used them for a while and they were very had on the trap machines, lots of dust residue.

Gary

15. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

We were one of the earliest adopters of the Bio. The Bio uses a sulphur binder which can kill grass, but as a trap only club we don't have that trap/skeet overlay, so cosmetics are not an issue for us as all. The only grass/weed kill is well into our shotfall zone somewhat hidden by up-front growth - but there is NO disposal expense as with pitch targets, but you have to have adequate moisture for them to degrade.

We threw them for years on Remington 4100s and for the past few years on PATs. No more breakage than we had with earlier Remington pitch targets - never threw a WF pitch target so I can't say - I think breakage has more to do with handling than manufacture.

As for trap maintenance, no more maintenance of any kind and we don't go out of our way to do any more housekeeping in the houses than we used to. In northern Illinois we get all kinds of moisture, no issues with the Bios in storage, in houses, in machines.

We throw the All-Orange, the only thing we don't get are the black sootballs, maybe we'll tape some pink powder bags underneath, like they did in Beijing!(lol)

regards to all,

Jay

16. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

ctreay-- I sent you a PM for info. Thanks,Bob

17. BD Trapshooter

BD Trapshooter Member

We (Beaver Dam Conservationists) have been using White Flyer Bios for 2 years now and our shooters love them. We did have a problem this spring with target breakage but found out that the paint was building up on Pat trap tables and causing the targets to lift and hit the support bars and break. Now we just sand the tables weekly with scotch brite and our breakage went away. There is a bit more cleaning of the machines needed with the additional dust left by the targets but that comes with general maintenance. As far as grass kill, it does not appear to be a problem yet and we are checking our soil ph.

Dan McDermott

18. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

BIOs are not "green". If your club has any concerns about being "green" friendly, stay away from them. Our club throws targets in an area where the sulfuric acid would enter the Chesapeake through normal runoff. Not good if you are looking over your shoulder at unfriendly neighbors and/or politicians.
    Aside from that, we did try them for a year and did have limited trap problems and they do kill some grass. Breakage will occur (IMO) due to the shorter shelf life in high humidity areas, as they slowly "rot".

19. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

There is a added maintenance to BIOs the sulfur will raise the acidic levels in your soil. At our club the only place the grass is not growing well is where the the heaviest target and wad build up are. From the info I got our club has not thrown pitch targets in 8 years. They had to shift the direction of the field away from a river. Where on calm, leafless trees, day shot could reach the river. They then where notified by the State and epa to stop using petroleum based targets. You can still see where the pitch target build up is. Only but the toughest weeds are growing there. We lime our drop zone. As directed by the target manufacture. layer any material thick enough and grass will not grow. Looking for a tough ground cover try winter rye. I use this in my garden beads and my front yard to head errosion in the winter/spring months. It last right up until the hottest days.

20. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

check out the target drop area, before the bios we had to whack the weeds twice a year, now it is as good as a dessert...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.