1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bio-clays: bad for the trap? Just a rumour?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Porcupine, Oct 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

The last time we ordered clays, we bought the biodegradeable clays because they were cheaper. I heard they kill vegetation, which I don't give a hoot 'n holler about, and that they cause more wear and tear on the trap machine, which I do give a hoot about. Something about dust corrosion? What's the scoop here? I don't think I'll find this topic on snopes .........

LA in MA

2. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Target is made with large amounts of sulfur. This dust and moisture will cause the metal to corrode (sulfuric acid). Keep machine clean and youll be ok.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

One of the by products of the bio targets is sulfuric acid. Trap machines do not like sulfuric acid. HMB

4. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

Porcupine,

I am going up to a trapshoot tomorrow to the Fayette County Gun Club (La Grange, Texas) for National Trapshooting Day. They could tell you better than me, but a couple of years ago they had to replace all kind of parts and possible the main table of their Pat-Trap because the Bios dust in high humidity turned to acid and ate up a lot of the machine. I think they were pretty good about keeping everything clean as well, so I don't really know why it happened. Bios are good targets, just watch the Ph level of where they land, or you might have to bring in industrial lime to bring you Ph levels back to normal.

Mike* (MH*)

5. samiam03

samiam03 Member

Hope they're not the Chinese version.

6. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

My club was using Bios, but we were getting a lot of broken targets which was from a build-up of residue from the bios on the plate of the Pat Trap.

By "sanding" the plate we could keep the residue removed, but that was a "pain".

Therefore we switched back to the pitch targets and they work great.

Also, the Bios were killing the vegetation.

Hope this helps.

Allen

7. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Been using them since 2000... never a problem with our 4100s or now our Pats because of the birds. No ground (other than some vegitation kill) or groundwater issues either and we test monthly. We're outside Chicago

regards all,

jay

8. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Our Bio's did corrode the Pat-Trap plate and kill all of our grass. We switched back. It took three years but now we have grass again. Dave T.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.