1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bino's for hunting?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kiwiG, Oct 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Bino

Hi Guys, At the ripe old age of 43 I've just started deer hunting. I successfully hunted last week, but really suffered for the lack of a pair of binoculars. What have you used and liked? What have you used and not liked? If you can remember...how much did they cost and were they value for money? Thanks in advance-Graham. PS-Maybe this is Off Topic...I'm not sure, and didn't mean to cause offence-G.

2. james dent

james dent TS Member

i have used alot of diffrent bino but i like my zeiss thhey are 15x45 and great they cost about a grand

3. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Not knowing where your hunting at, I hunted mostly in timber, used a pair of Nikon 8x35 for years(20+), wanted to get them rebuildt but Nikon said NO parts.

Went out a brought a new pair of Nikon 10x36, love em!

4. EE

EE Banned User Banned

Get a pair of compacts. You'll carry them, whereas you'd leave heavy, full-size binos in the truck. And don't get any power greater than 8x. More than that, and you need a rest to hold them steady.

5. JoeBobOutfitters

JoeBobOutfitters TS Member

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/category_s/221.htm

Vortex binos. Lifetime warranty and great glass!

6. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

I have used many different binos for hunting over the years, from cheapies that fit in my pocket and cost $19.95, to 10x50 rubber armored waterprof monsters. If I were to buy another new set today, I would go with Swarovskis. The guides used Swarovski binos and spotting scopes on a hunt I was on last year, and they are AMAZING. The binos were light weight, so they didn't give you neck cramps halfway through the day, had great optics, were a comfortable fit, were easy to use even with gloves, and transmitted more light in low light conditions than anything I have seen. The spotting scopes were equally good. The eyepiece had such a large aperture that when the guide locked on an animal and offered me a look, I just had to lean over and see the beast. There was no hunting in the eyepiece for the little clear area where the focus was. It was so large that we could focus the camera on the eyepiece and get a good picture, which I have never seen done with any other scope. Admittedly, not cheap, but to my mind, the best available.

7. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

I bought a pair of Leupold 8x42. My dad has Swarovski 10x50. One evening we were both looking at the detail under a tree at dusk. We both agreed that there was no difference in light gathering or clarity.

8. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

You get what you pay for! I went thru the cheepie stage and I woke up and bought a 10-42 SLC Swarovski and I have never looked back.I have looked thru alot of lesser value bino's and for the price the Nikon Monarch's impressed me! . Good Luck PJ

9. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

I use a compact set of Zeiss binos when tree stand hunting with a bow and for general purpose, use a set of Leupold Mojave 8 x 42s. I checked the clarity against all the binos that Cabellas had, including the big names and these were as clear or better than all.
    Pat Haskins

10. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Nothing will match the Zeiss, Steiner, etc. scopes - that being said, the Nikon binoculars are impressive. I bought a used pair for $100 and they are ALMOST as good as the Zeiss - we've tried them side by side. The Zeiss wins, hands down, but the price difference is tough to swallow...

11. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

G

I had Nikon Monarchs, and they were pretty good, even though I find it distasteful to buy China made products. Leupold gold rings are pretty hard to beat.

How about a brand new pair of Leupold Gold Rings 10x36 for $349.99? That seems like a good price to me. CDNN Sports, Inc. http://www.cdnninvestments.com/lebi.html

You can also get Kahles Camos 8x32 for $389.99 http://www.cdnninvestments.com/kabi.html

Good luck on your choice.

John E.

12. FIB

FIB Member

I 2nd Leica's!

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    You didn't mention your budget line. Getting advice for a $1000 pair of binoculars isn't worth doodly squat if you're budget max is $150.

14. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

If you think you want the best buy Zeiss Fl or Swarovski El. If you want something a step down then Leupold HD or the Vortex Vipers. These four companies have by far the best reputation and the best warranty if it is ever needed. Leica sucks for warranty work and all three pair of their high end glass i have owned needed it. Also if you ever decide to sell them all four i mentioned are very easy to sell without losing much money. Swarovski and Zeiss Fl are the best you can buy period.

15. Finprof

Finprof TS Member

I have Leitz Trinovid 8x30s, Burris Signature Select 8x56, Steiner Nighthunter 8x56 and Steiner 8x20.

The best is the Steiner Nighthunter, particularly if most of the action comes at dawn or dusk. But they are $1000. The Burris Signature Select come very close to the Steiners and are also close to Leica or Zeiss for resolution or low light conditions for about $225 on sale at Natchez. They also have extremely long eye relief, which is great if you use glasses. I have to take off my glasses for the Steiners. The eyecups on the Steiners are also a bit weird. They keep getting shifted around adn I have to put them back in place every time I bring them up to my eyes.

I use the 8x56 binos in the East where you walk 100 yards to a stand and stay there all morning. Out west where there is lots of walking I am not carrying two pounds of binoculars and the little Steiners are with me. The little Steiners are also for turkey hunting where you never are dealing with low light.

The Steiner Nighthunters really are the best binocular I have ever used for low light. An outfitter let me borrow his for a day and after that I would not use anything else. He prefers them to Zeiss or Leitz or Swarovski and so do I.

16. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

About 15 Years ago I went through the same search, after lots of testing, reading and questions I ended up with Swarovksi 7x42 SLC, excellent glass, not one bit of regret. (price has gone up about 50% since then).
    My son wanted a good pair of binoculars for Christmas a few years later and I bought him a pair of Pentax 8x42WP's for about half the price. I can't tell you how many times we have tested them side by side, had friends test them side by side, in bright light to low light and could see no visual difference.
    So if you're looking for something a little less in cost to the big boys that give about the same performance, check out the Pentax line.

17. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

You could go damn near broke buying good optics. I have Zeiss,Nikon,Pentex, in my collection and each one is great for their intended purpose. I hunt elk and deer in reasonably heavy timber and my go to glasses in that situation is a pair of Jason Permenant Focus 7x somethings I bought at a pawn shop for $20.00. No I can't judge a trophy with them at 500 yards, but you would not believe the game I would have walked by without them. I am strictly a shoot the first legal animal up hill from the truck kind of hunter these days.
    Be Well and good luck hunting, we need more of your kind in the game.

18. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Thanks Guys, Some great stuff here. I'm only shooting for meat and still in reasonable physical shape though my eyes have definitely degraded, so large compact or smaller standard size units get my attention. I missed out on a bargain ($350 2nd hand Zeiss) at auction but was not overly concerned...'googling reported excellent components but poor build quality in that model...although my local optics expert disagreed. I'm not scared to spend money...so long as I can see the value...having said that...if I go 'top shelf' it will probably be 2nd hand. Thanks again...auction sites and pawnshops here I come!! Kind Regards-Graham.

19. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

There are many good comments already offered. I own everything from some very cheap glasses, middle of the road Nikon Monarch's, and Swarovskis. What I don't believe has been mentioned is that the more time you spend behind binoculars the more you will be glad you bought the best you can afford. For glassing at high noon on a sunny day sometimes it's hard to detect the difference. But game is often best spotted at daybreak or dusk. This is when light gathering capability is most important. If you hunt out west you'll spend a lot of time glassing the shadows. Just because you're a "casual" hunter now doesn't mean the bug won't really bite and you'll want to try a hunt out west in the future. Buy the best you can afford - you'll save money in the long run. I've made the mistake of starting out with the cheaper product and only ended up spending more in the long run. Good luck with your trips afield.

20. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Leica 8x20 armored. I use them for everything. I bought 7x35 because that's what everyone said to get for hunting. Then I bought 10x50 because that was supposed to be better. The 8x20 are super sharp, clear, and color correct. They fit in a pocket. I actually carry them, so they are there when I need them.

I will tell you that I'd be about as happy with 8x20 Swaroski's. I love Zeiss optics, but their small binocs are not as good as the other two, IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.