1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Binacular help

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jakearoo, Nov 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

I find I am in need of a small pair of binaculars to carry and use for spotting game and birds and such. I have bought some on sale at Big 5 and on Ebay but frankly they all sort of suck. I would appreciate suggestions as to where I can get a good quality set and what price I should have to pay for them. Thanks and Regards, Jake

2. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Pentax, Minolta, Nikon, or Leupold binoculars from $200 and up should do the trick or go for the European brands and really pay the big bucks. Don't buy the cheap junk you'll see for under $100.....you really get what you pay for in optics! I've never examined Cabella's own branded binoculars but they may be someting to look at too.

3. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

I looked through a set of Steiner Predators the other day at the gun shop. I forget the specifics, but they were compacts. I thought they were awesome, yes i took them outside. They were only 130.00. They are real Steiner's too. I specifically asked the shop owner if they were a Chinese version and he said no.

4. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Swarovski;Hands down.You get what you pay for!!!

PJ

5. HHS

HHS TS Member

About 10 years ago I purchased a pair of Swarovski after suffering through a number of the cheap ones that seemed to suck out your eyes during prolonged use. They still are excellent binoculars. A few years ago I bought my son some good Pentax DCF for about half the price of the Swarovski's. I can't find any difference between the two, infact, I doubt anyone could find the Swarovski's twice as good for the money.
    If you really want to get some excellent info. on optics read the book "Optics for the Hunter" by John Barness. He does a great job informing you on what to look for and where the good deals are.
    There are some good Asian glass out there, look around and become informed, but if you really want the very best look at Swarovski, Leica, or Zeiss.

6. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

HHS, Thanks for the help. To tell you the truth, for many things I find this board extremely knowledgable. I sort of thought I could "become informed" with this thread. Sure worked for boots. Regards, Jake

7. BustClays

BustClays Member

About $200, Bushnell Custom 7X26, you will not be sorry.

bustclays

8. BustClays

BustClays Member

PS, These are binoculars, with an "O".

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

9. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

You pretty much need to spend over $200. The Bushnell Custom Compact 7X26 are good. See the thread at http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/sthread.cfm?threadid=133994 for recommendations on binoc's. You might also look at the Cornell article at the above link, paying attention to the binocs' weights in column 4, or at the SWFA optics talk forum at http://www.opticstalk.com/ Phil

10. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Bushnell used to sell thier best quality glass under the Bausch&Lomb name....I bought a pair of B&L 9X35 armoured binoculars about 25 years ago and compared them at the time to Lieca and Zeiss....I couldn't see why I shoudl spend 1K more on the German glass...still don't. Unfortunately, B&L product is no longer available...just Bushnell....and not as good IMHO.

11. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

HHS, Which model of DCF binoculars did you get and why? Jake

12. HHS

HHS TS Member

jakearoo, about 12 years ago I went on my first expensive guided hunt. One of the items highly recommended by the outfitter was good glass. Back in the 70's good glass to me was around $50. It took a few years and a few broken binoculars to figure out that after buying two or three cheap ones and throwing them away I could have bought a better pair and maybe still have them.
    I looked hard at the top tier of binoculars, read and researched them and corresponded with John Barsness, who at the time, was the Optic Editor for Peterson's Hunting magazine. After looking through a number of the good ones I settled for some 7x42 Swarovski SLC's. One of the big reasons were they worked great for glass wearers. I've never had one bit of buyers remorse for this purchase.
    5 years ago my son requested a pair of binoculars for Christmas. Having learned my lesson about cheap binoculars and not wanting to spend another $1000 I again started to research, read, and ask questions. That's when I bought the book "Optics for the Hunter" (Safari Press Inc.) and started posting questions on some hunting sites. Pentax came very highly recommended and one of the large discount houses had some really great prices including a rebate from Pentax on their new DCF SP's
    My Swarvoski's are 7 power and I felt it would be nice to have something just a tad more powerful. 10 power are way to shaky for long periods of glassing but 8 power seemed just about right. (If I were to buy a new pair of Swarovski's today I'd buy their 8.5x42 EL's) so I settled on Pentax DCF SP 8X43's. I had my Swarvoski's to compare against and I can honestly say that in just about all categories they are darn close to equal. Low light, color and focus are equal to my old eyes. Where the Pentax win is weight, 22oz. vs. 33.5oz.
    Even within the past 5 years other binoculars have come out that I think would give Pentax a good run for their money. Do your own research, check out some of the good hunting sites on the internet and I think you'll find all the info you are looking for. Another excellent source of information are sites dedicated to birdwatching, these people are really into optics. But as someone else said, here is an area where you really get what you pay for. Good luck.

13. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Question on Binoculars, Reading the directions on the only pair I have ever bought, Bushnell compact. They serve my for the backyard veiwing I do. Any way, they have you do a primary focus adjustment closing you left eye and fine adjusting the adjuster around the eye piece. What I am wondering is if you are left eye dominate would this be a issue? I have tried flipping the, but can not get a good view thru the lens?

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I have some armored Nikons. Very good for the price.

15. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

I have 2 pairs of Zeiss. They do cost but I got what I paid for. They are clear and sharp. They do not bother my eyes and make them uncomfortable. Nikon, Leupold are good and so are any above them.

16. vdt

vdt Active Member

just look at Nikon Travelite 5..10x25 ,i bought a pair compact as small as i think you can go and still have a decent view,Bass Pro $100.00

17. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

I to like many above went years with lesser Bino's. Its sort of funny because I have all Leupolds on my rifles. But, anyway I had a friend of mine as this guy who does nothing but analize optics for different magazines etc. and he said for the money and for a good hunting glass the Pentex 10X42 was the glass I should look at. But be sure to get the waterproof one. He said you can pay a lot more but you're not gaining anything. I love them.
    Dan

18. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

coyote, Are they DCFs but in the 10 power? Which model DCF? Jake

19. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

1911: The reason is, only one eyecup adjusts independently, the left one. That means that, like they say, you need to first focus on an object with the left eye closed, to focus the right eyecup, then open the left eye & close the right, and focus the moveable left eyecup on that same object. It's independent of (or rather, works despite) eye dominance issues. I think all binocs need to work this way, letting each eye focus as best it can, exactly like your vision works without binocs. Phil E

20. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I've been very happily using Leica 8x20 armored binoculars for years. My bigger binoculars are packed away for my last move 7 years ago and I have yet to dig them out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.