1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Billion Dollar Tax Hike for Michigan

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by MTA Tom, Feb 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

The Detroit Free Press reports today that Gov. Snyder plans to propose a billion dollar tax hike on the Michigan elderly tomorrow.

If you live in Michigan, please write, phone AND email the governor, your state representative and your state senator. Ask them to oppose the pension tax.

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Move....sheesh!!!

Curt

3. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

The details of the governor's budget will be released tomorrow. My crystal ball predictions:

1. Most of the bloated Michigan welfare system will be retained, including Medicaid expenditures far beyond what the federal government requires;

2. 1.5 billion dollars in tax cuts for the governor's wealthy business cronies;

3. 1 billion in new taxes on the pensions of the elderly.

(The part I like best is that the governor doesn't consider the billion dollar levy on the elderly a tax hike. In his universe, the elderly currently have a tax exemption which he equates with a government expenditure. Therefore, if he removes the exemption, he's actually cutting spending, not raising taxes.)

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Sure he didn't come from Chicago??

Matt

5. michmoe

michmoe TS Member

Tom...I think everyone on here that lives in Michigan should be contacting their Congressman.Its easy enough to do just by clicking on the thread at the top of this forum.I contacted mine and let him know that it never ceases to amaze me that how whenever the Republicans get into control they blow it.More taxes is not the answer and it sure doesnt seem that Mr. Snyder is a conservative.I told Mr. Camp that he (Snyder) MUST be a Dumocrat in drag.Just what this state needs another reason for more Michiganders to leave this state.I also let him know that if this happens he can be assured that Republican reign of Michigans political system will be very short lived! Thanks for bringing this to my attention....Hugo "Moe " Rinke

6. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I hear the Gov. is the only one in the entire state in favor of this new tax.

7. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Funny everybody wants it fixed, our debt, but no one wants to pay for it. I guess maybe you should bring back your dem. cronies to fix it, oh crap they are the ones that created it.

Why don't you spread some more crap about the tax breaks that the Michigan Economic Growth Authority approved for 15 companies to expand, locate or stay in the state which creates or keeps over 4000 jobs. Those companies had to put up millions of their own money inorder to get the tax breaks.

The fix is going to be painful on both the state and federal level if our debt problem is to be fixed, so get used to it.

Sounds like a retired state employees wants to be excluded from the fix. They have been exempt from paying any income tax on their pensions, IRAs and 401k's unlike the private sector who was taxed on those. Why should state employees be any different than any one else.

You bet your butt that Gov. Snyder is unlike any other Gov. that we have had and should be a major improvement. Let's see what he does with the waste in the education system.

Don

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Stick a fork in Michigan... they're done.

9. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Not done yet but getting close.

Like the special assesment I and other businesses got in Nov. for our share of the interest on the unemployment funds, loaned to us, but forced on us by the Feds along with the 99 weeks of payment. But when suggested that the unemployed do some community work in exchanged for the money, OH NO that's degreading.

I hope he cuts the crap out of taxes to businesses then maybe we will get some of those companies who left because of high taxes, along with their jobs, back in our industial parks.

Don

10. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Wisconsin, Michigan, and Ohio are all looking at bills that remove collective bargaining for State employees. When State employees have a higher average salary than the average tax payer, something is wrong. Their high priced pension/retirement plans are also in debt or unfunded.

It's time to get realistic and get control of government spending.

In business, if your spending exceeds your profit you lose everything. In government, you just keep spending and borrow more money. Let the next guy fix it.

Sorry, times up!

11. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Michigan needs to have their governor put to sleep and get a new guy that can't spell tax increase.

In this economy, in that state, tax increase is NOT the answer.

Cut all those social parasite programs off at the knees period.

Attention Detroit: EVERYBODY get a job......no workie, no checkie.

12. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Not done yet but getting close.

Like the special assesment I and other businesses got in Nov. for our share of the interest on the unemployment funds, loaned to us, but forced on us by the Feds along with the 99 weeks of payment. But when suggested that the unemployed do some community work in exchanged for the money, OH NO that's degreading.

I hope he cuts the crap out of taxes to businesses then maybe we will get some of those companies who left because of high taxes, along with their jobs, back in our industial parks.

Don

13. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Wisconsin, Michigan, and Ohio are all looking at bills that remove collective bargaining for State employees. When State employees have a higher average salary than the average tax payer, something is wrong. Their high priced pension/retirement plans are also in debt or unfunded.

It's time to get realistic and get control of government spending.

In business, if your spending exceeds your profit you lose everything. In government, you just keep spending and borrow more money. Let the next guy fix it.

Sorry, times up!

14. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Michigan needs to have their governor put to sleep and get a new guy that can't spell tax increase.

In this economy, in that state, tax increase is NOT the answer.

Cut all those social parasite programs off at the knees period.

Attention Detroit: EVERYBODY get a job......no workie, no checkie.

15. crusha

crusha TS Member

MTA Tom,

I have a question, in the interest of full disclosure: are you a current or former Government employee?

Just wondering.

16. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

First Illinois then the on-going strife in Wisconsin and now Michigan. Seems like there have been an overload of democrats in charge of all these states for too long. In Illinois when we go broke it's always because of unions and democrats and when the republicans are in office they always seem to go to jail when they get out of office. Now we have a couple ex-governors that didn't go to jail when they retired from office. There is one democratic governor who is still in the courts process to see if he's to go to jail. I actaully wonder if we are paying these guys enough to be honest. Next time we have an election and a republican is elected we will give him a raise so he won't have to resort to larceny to pad his pockets. Dan

17. dverna

dverna Active Member

This increase will average about $700 per geezer.

I voted for Snyder to solve our problems. If I wanted a tax decrease I would have voted for the other idiot. The money has to come from somewhere and, in fact, from many sources.

The state cannot continue with the ways of the past. We need to bring businesses back to Michigan. I am a soon to be geezer and I can leave if I want but most states tax retirement income so is it really and better elsewhere? And if it was, is less than $1000 a year going to make anyone move?

If they do, great. The state needs wage earners more than it needs old guys like me sucking up services. The rich old bastards move south or spend a lot of time away anyway.

When Dave Bing, the Democrat mayor of Detroit, essentially agrees with most of what Snyder has proposed it is astounding. Maybe the "Nerd" is on the right track.

Don Verna

18. porky

porky TS Member

Gotta keep paying for all those muslim entitlements y'know. osama says you gotta take care of his countrymen.

19. J D

J D TS Member

I for one am not in favor of the tax.
    I did work for a road commission and every pay the state took taxes out of my check. I then payed into my retirement system at the rate of 7 to 9%. I feel I have paid my taxes and should not have to pay again.

JD

20. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Moving our manufacturing offshore ripped the heart and soul out of our country. We will continue to fight over the scraps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.