1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bill expanding hunting land, stops lead bans

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Brian in Oregon, Nov 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I HAVE CHANGED THE THREAD TITLE TO MORE ACCURATELY REFLECT THE BILL AFTER NEW INFORMATION HAS COME IN.

GOP blocks bill protecting lead bullets and expansion of hunting areas, citing costs, leaving liberals a tool to ban massive amounts of ammunition.

Hell of a time for the GOP to stop compromising.

But the GOP can sure keep extending the spending limit.

Makes you wonder if gun owners have any friends left at all?

2. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

What? Man, now you have to throw out all of those (GOP candidate) for Sportsman, bumper stickers! LOL. I can see it now, "Tester for Sportsman."

3. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Was that ever misleading, as reading the article would make clear.

4. Brian in Oregon

Then don't do a quick read. Read it slowly so you understand.

5. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

"Republicans supported opening lands for outdoorsmen and many other provisions in the bill sponsored by Democratic Sen. Jon Tester, but GOP senators blocked the legislation on principle Monday evening in a mostly party-line procedural vote after Senate Budget Committee’s top Republican, Jeff Sessions of Alabama, objected to spending on conservation programs included in the bill."

The poor Republicans can do no right according to the BOs. If they try to hold down spending they whine; if they waste money they whine. If they stand on principle they whine; if they cave they whine.

6. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

B in O,

I must admit if you read the article you have posted it paints a poor picture of the GOP, but the truth is, what started as a good idea and perhaps a good piece of legislation was turned into something ugly by the Democrats.

Typical process - they take a great idea and tack on so much BS that even the original sponsors will sometimes walk away.

7. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

"Sessions said he supported the overall bill but objected to spending on conservation programs that he said violated budget rules. Democrats argued that the bill also raised money for those provisions."

8. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

The article didn't say how much money is involved.

9. Fraz

Fraz TS Member

Yes read is slowly - think - the Democrats, are setting up the GOP to take a
    fall again, they'll get blamed for killing Polar Bears, Lead killing fish &
    ducks, polluting the waters & spending un-bugeted money, for an negative
    environmental, anti gun, bill,

Republicans can do no right according to the Dem's. If they try to hold down
    spending they whine; if they waste money they whine. If they stand on principle
    they whine; if they cave they whine. Can't have your cake and eat it to. No
    winners here.

10. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

What may I ask, is wrong with including monies for conservation-related work? You know, CRP, CREP, WHIP, all the programs that have done a lot of good for our environment, AND created great habitat for the critters we all like to hunt and view.

Again, there were no dollar figures attached, I am aware, but I'll bet if any of you belong to DU, Pheasants Forever, or any of type those groups, they were probably strongly pushing for that spending to continue.

Tim

11. Brian in Oregon

The biggest thing we need is legislation to prevent the EPA from declaring lead a toxic substance and banning its use in firearms. That alone outweighs a lot of other considerations. I don't care how they get that through, but it is crucial.

12. darr

darr Well-Known Member

Lead is a big tool for the lefties.They are great at using incrementalism to advance their agenda.If they can't flat out ban guns they will make them so costly to shoot casual shooters will just give it up.The EPA is as dangerous as the Gestapo.

Darr

13. Brian in Oregon

Word coming in now is that the duck hunting Fudds are the culprits....

November 28, 2012

U.S. Senate Kills Sportsmen's Act of 2012 Over $10 Duck Stamp Increase

by Ben Lamb

Ten bucks. That’s what killed the progressive, popular, good-government Sportsmen’s Act of 2012 yesterday.

Ten bucks, or the increase of the cost of a federal duck stamp from $15 to $25.

But that $10 created a partisan divide large enough to kill something that hunters and anglers have been asking for: congressional help to provide public access to public land, end the nonsense of lead-ammo restrictions, and allow a few polar bears to be liberated from their importation purgatory.

Here’s the fact: On Monday, November 26th, the United States Senate beat a well-worn path of partisanship and pettifoggery (look it up!) by voting down the Sportsmen’s Act of 2012. They did it in such a manner that they avoided being labeled anti-sportsman by the NRA, while ultimately catering to the whims of fringe environmental groups like the Center for Biological Diversity, and anti-hunting groups like the Humane Society of The United States.

On a procedural motion to waive the budget rules and allow for an increase in the cost of the federal duck stamp from $15 to $25, the United Sates Senate proved once again that no good deed goes unpunished.

If you follow all the technicalities, the $10 increase violated a provision from 2011 that was supposed to prevent fee increases. Forget that those of us who buy the duck stamp do it gladly and voluntarily, and know that at $15, it hasn’t kept up with the rate of inflation. It was time to raise the cost of the stamp. But the no-new-taxes faction of the Congress used it as their lever to kill the entire Sportsmen’s Act, which would have been the biggest public-lands bill in a generation. The sad fact is that most Republicans are still smarting over the re-election of the bill’s sponsor, Montana Sen. Jon Tester. That’s the real reason they killed the bill, behind the guise of procedural posturing.

Are you upset? You should be. Congress is broken, and the place to begin fixing it would seem to be the U.S. Senate, where this little dalliance into partisan bickering and parliamentary gamesmanship is the best example of why, even when everyone in America (with exception to a few cranks and eco-fascists) comes together and expects something done, Congress finds a way to fumble on the 5 yard line.

There is a glimmer of hope that the bill might be resurrected. You can help resuscitate it by calling the Senate hotline at (202) 224-4124 or find your Senator’s email and phone number at www.sessions.senate.gov.

If enough of us howl, maybe Congress will get the message that we actually care about what they don’t do as much as we care about what they do.

14. ryan27

ryan27 TS Member

Our guns are safe Romney lost.But most T.S so called gunners(if you can do that from the couch)would rather lose our guns than have Obama re elected. Whine for 4 more years

15. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

"The poor Republicans can do no right according to the BOs. If they try to hold down spending they whine; if they waste money they whine. If they stand on principle they whine; if they cave they whine. "

This sounds just like you Galt! Are you sure your not really a closet Liberal??

16. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

17. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

I've heard of peolpe being allergic to themselves!

18. tachyon

tachyon Member

This is an important piece of legislation and cooler heads are trying to resurrect the bill as we speak. It would raise the price of a duck stamp by $10.00 but allocate all of that money to habitat projects. It would prevent the EPA from banning all lead in bullets, shot and fishing lures. Current restrictions on using lead for waterfowl and in the California Condor areas would remain. There are 17 bills gaggled together in in the bill that are supported by almost every hunting/fishing organization in the United States. It would be prudent to contact your two senators today to ask them to support this bill.

I contacted Ben Nelson (D NE) who has always been a supporter of hunting and fishing. Even though he was not reelected I received a thoughtful reply from him within 24 hours. He voted for the bill and will remain a staunch supporter.

I contacted Mike Johanns (R NE) and asked him to reconsider his vote against this bill. I received a canned reply which did not even reference the bill.

Please contact your senators today and ask them to support the Sportsmen's Act of 2012.

P

19. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

This gridlock is going to ruin this country. I was afraid that when the whole story came out, it would be along these lines.

I will contact my Senators immediately.

Thanks for the update.

Tim

20. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

ryan 27.......our guns are far from safe. Romney was the least of the evils to choose from. You can pack that "whine for 4 more years" up your shorts. Obama's just getting warmed up. Gun registration, confiscation and bastardazation are right around the corner. Count on it.

UN Small Arms Treaty talks begin again in March 2013 and you can bet that the Hildebeast will be there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.