1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bill Cole: A Memory Found

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chango2, Feb 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I was inspecting and downloading images from an old memory card in a forgotton smaller camera. I found this picture of the late and great Bill Cole holding his personal Bill Cole Trapgun. Photo taken three years ago this month.

Given some interesting and illuminating talk the past few days on threads discussing the Alfermann, Bill Cole, Kolar Guns etc., I thought this is timely and might be enjoyed by others who fondly remember Bill Cole. It is with respect and fond memory when I think of that conversation I had with Bill at Redlands Shooting park that winter day in 2009.

Regards,

David Buchman
    Los Angeles

2. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I was inspecting and downloading images from an old memory card in a forgotton smaller camera. I found this picture of the late and great Bill Cole holding his personal Bill Cole Trapgun. Photo taken three years ago this month.

Given some interesting and illuminating talk the past few days on threads discussing the Alfermann, Bill Cole, Kolar Guns etc., I thought this is timely and might be enjoyed by others who fondly remember Bill Cole. It is with respect and fond memory when I think of that conversation I had with Bill at Redlands Shooting Park, Redlands, California, that winter day in 2009.

Regards,

David Buchman

Los Angeles

[​IMG]

3. mac1

mac1 Active Member

David. that sure brings back some good memories, Great picture of a greater man. You know we go through life and and more or less meet different people
    from all over and think nothing about it. But once in awhile fate or whatever you would want to call it puts a special person in your world. I would say that is how my wife and I felt about Bill. I would like to think I made an impression like that to just one person in my life. I think Bill made that impression to everyone.
    David, would you email me, I would like to get a copy fo that picture, if you don't mind.

Mac

4. missed some

missed some TS Member

A super nice guy. thanks for the thread and pic

5. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

I remember that shoot. I met Bill because I was parked near him. Cool guy and his gun was gorgeous!

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

A fave of Mike Greenblatt. "PBB" Mr "All good"

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Nice post David

8. Cooperdisciple

Cooperdisciple TS Member

I lurk a lot but very rarely post, but felt I had to here.

I met Mr. Cole around '99 or '00 in Vandalia. We struck up quite a conversation concerning his gun, it's design, and his philosophy behind it. As a long time tool and die maker myself, he and I had a bit in common.

Mr. Cole graciously allowed me to take a demo out with the instruction to 'give it a good test, don't bring it back too soon'. I wanted to leave my driver's license and ATA card but he refused saying he didn't need them.

I absolutely loved the gun and did eventually purchase one used. But as impressive as the gun is, the man was more so.

The thoughts I have of Mr. Cole are one of my favorite trapshooting memories. And I remember his personal gun well.

Mike Bruda

9. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

It can't be winter there David.....no snow.

Rick in MT

Mr Cole was one of the good guys

10. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Rick....it's "winter"; snow to north in the mtns relatively close by. We never see any snow around here below 2000 feet altitude give or take.

11. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Since there has been a positive response to this thread, here is a picture of Bill Cole and Vern Landgraff holding Bill Cole Trapgun #48. I apologize for the quality of these pictures re. composition, the screen/viewfinder on that dilgital camera was impossible to view in the sun. Lens was a Zeiss on a small Sony camera, so technical quality pretty good for a small camera three years ago.
    [​IMG]

12. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

And here is a dissasmbled Bill Cole Trapgun pull trigger. Rather simple and elegant, no?

13. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I had talked to Bill Cole on several occasions at different gun clubs over the years. And that is a high shooting Gun in his hands, we discussed at length on high shooting guns, as I told him I shoot high POI guns, he later came out w/interchangeable ribs.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

14. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Oh yes, and #48 has a 30/70 rib, second to the flatest shooting made by Bill Cole. I bet Bill's gun is 100% or thereabouts! The "rest" of the story is that the serial number for Bill's personal gun was mildly "ribald" with #69 as many likely know.

Bill had a sense of fun and mischief I suspect, but in a kind, quiet, and positive way, akin to the alleged communication from Neil Armstrong from Moon to Earth. "You could look that one up..."...but might only be urban legend re. Mr. Armstrong!

Another aspect about the Bill Cole Trapgun: Some barrels were machined to be tapered at the monobloc to lighten the assembly, some were lumpy. I wonder when the change was made? Anybody?

...David

15. perga1

perga1 Active Member

I don't know when the change was made but I have #25 Silver Dollar Special with the fluted monoblock and I also have #80, a Grade II also fluted and #105 ,fluted as well. But I have seen guns above #80 with the bulky square monoblock. JRm

16. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

# 49 square thick solid as a vault keeping it till the end
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. plaw

plaw Active Member

I think the older the picture the more meaning they have. I have a shooting buddy that broke his first and only 200 straight with a Cole gun.

18. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

The late Bill Cole and Vern Landgraff with Cole #48, February 2009, Redlands Shooting Park, Redlands, California.
    [​IMG]

19. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

The late Bill Cole, left, with Vern Landgraff, right, holding Bill Cole Trapgun #48, Redlands Shooting Park, Redlands California, February 2009.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

wanted a bill cole pull trigger