1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Biggest dissapointmant or Joy at G A H experience

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 1oldtimer, Jul 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Have you shot the Grand and had a big dissapointment? Then later you had a big Joy or thrill? Several years back,I broke a 97 on one of the caps. It was on the leader board till late in the shoot. A 100 straight came in near the end of the event which eliminated the 97's from any shoot off. What a bummer. The last year of the Vandalia Grand 2005,I tied for third in the Remington Handicap. I shot off in a 10 way tie. Remington provided free shells. First time I shot the Nitro 27's. They worked great and I won the shoot off. Joy & a thrill. Only trophy at Grand so far. Clyde Doll

2. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

3. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Sarge,
    You forget that you too are still with us. That's a plus. I went to around 20 of them before I finally broke 100 there and wound up with 5 of them in that 11 days. My best handicap score was a 99 in the Parlament Handicap, the last year that it was held there and breaking the last registered target that year. Got my 35 year patch but don't know if i'll ever get the 40.

Ed Yanchok

4. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

5. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

I never attended at Vandalia, but have been to Sparta several times. I thought it was strange that someone called Vandalia a "low-rent hole" and talked about "100 f heat 100 % humidity". Most of the post about Vandalia was how wonderful it was and how horrible Sparta is. I was starting to believe Sparta was the only place on earth that was hot and had high humidity in August. LOL

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

My first 200 in the Clay Target Championship then I go out in the first round of the shoot off. All in one day. Sheesh!

7. 2ndhandsmoke

2ndhandsmoke Member

My first 100 in Winchester singles followed by my first 200 the same day. The next day I had a 99 in handicap to make the 27 and followed that by winning class B HOA of the 1000 champ targets in 2008.

Biggest disappointment, staying in the Taliban Inn (Sparta Motel). I think there is still some creepy crawlies crawling around inside me.

see everybody there in less than 2 weeks

chris

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The very first time I attended the Grand American in Vandalia I was in awe as I watched all of the people hustle around darting in and out to make their way past the crowds ... I shot a 97 in the first handicap event I shot there and had my name on the leader board for about 15 minutes which was really cool, even my Dad liked that ... I picked up two MX-8 combo sets just in case I wanted to shoot doubles and pack my Model 12 away ... I forget the scores I shot for the rest of the shoot but got enough money back in the mail that I paid for the trip and had a little left over, much to my surprise ... I stopped by every vendor in the place and bought more shooting shirts than I figured I would ever use ... The girls at Bob Allens made the trip worth while as I recall, talk about eye candy ... I got to watch all of the Big Guns at the time and met and talked to most of them, which was a lot of fun ... The experience was all that it was cracked up to be and more all of the 11 times I was there although I only shot 9 of the programs of that 11 times due to being restricted by a physical injury ... I still went to watch and enjoy the people I had met there over the years ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

If joy for a friend counts, keeping Hugh Crossen updated on scores when he broke 99 in squad 13 in the 1947 GAH and was never beaten or tied. It was quite a memorable day.

(I broke a 96, ran the middle 50 which paid for my entry for the week.)

10. Robb

Robb Member

Three of us broke 100 in 02. I ended up second. Not sure if there ever has been three 100's in GAH.

11. Robb

Robb Member

Thanks Carl. I didn't know that. Do you remember the payoff?

12. Butler

Butler TS Member

In the future I see winning a handicap at the grand for the biggest thrill, and the biggest disappointment would be, you guessed it losing the 100,000$ shoot off. Jim Butler

13. Robb

Robb Member

Sleeping in his truck? He really earned that sucker. Although I know a lot of guys used to do that.

$5000 was a lot in 68. Was there a car?

14. Robb

Robb Member

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.