1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bigger than the sport?????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Not1/2Bad, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Not1/2Bad

Not1/2Bad Member

After talking to folks across the country, i began to wonder, is the ata and all state organizations bigger than the trap shooters. Or are the trapshooters bigger than the ata and all the state organizations. Mind you i understand all the daily fees, ata 3.00 State fees 2.50 but after that what gives. Ata daily zone fees, state daily target assesment fees, state fees of 2.00 per hundred targets, daily maintaince fees. The average shooter, who by the way is the back bone of the ata and the state organization, is now priced out of shooting, so my question is , as a collective group why do we continue to allow both non elected and elected officials of our shooting organizations to impose fees when we should be more concerend about what is happening to the monies we have entrusted them with previously. After all just because you charge the fee, dosent mean the shooters will come to pay it and shoot. Just my thoughts

2. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Not half-bad -

Maybe you could expand on your comment about "what is happening with the monies we have entrusted to them". What is happening with the money we have entrusted to them? Have you contacted the state associate to review their budget so you know what is being done with the money you are paying?

I know that state association fees vary from state to state - some states have nearly no fees and others have multiple fees. I'm in Illinois so I pay a $10/year membership fee and $.01 per target for every target I shoot in Illinois. It works out to somewhere around $30 per year to my state association for the 2,000 or so targets I shoot in the state.

What level of service do you expect from your state association? Does the level of service match the level of fees?

It can't just be about the fees, it has to be about the fees relative to what you get for the fees.

With regard to the people you elected - the key is that you elected them. You really have two choices. You can get involved, be aware of what is going on, provide your input to the people that run your association. Or you can just post a general complaint that the people you elected aren't doing what you want. I've never had any member of my state association (or the national association for that matter) refuse to talk to me or listen to any input that I wanted to give them.

Scott

3. Not1/2Bad

Not1/2Bad Member

Scott, thanks for the thoughts, you are correct in all your points, and i feel we do have alot of issues with our state directors, answers are avoided when questions are asked, and our state meeting should be interesting. I also know all states have issues, with finances, as we all do, however, always charging a new fee, to go with all the current fees, does not mean more shooters on the pads. Thanks for the input