1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Big Sky gun case covers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sernv99, Jan 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

Jim Foley, former owner of Big Sky gun case covers is actively taking orders...He just shipped my order for two covers and he relayed to me that if I knew anyone else wanting a cover, they can contact him.

jimfoley0402@gmail.com

sorry, I don't have his phone number. He is based out of Missoula, MT.

Great covers! I have a few hardside gun cases and I have ordered a pair of his covers for each one of my cases...one to use and another as a back-up...whenever I find a product that I really like, I order two of each,to have one as a backup...

Based on what he emailed me for pricing for the Americases that I have:

covers are $155 each plus $10 extra for shoulder strap, plus whatever the shipping/handling is (I live in VA so it was $22). I don't know if the price would be more for a full length rifle case or other gun cases that are not run of the mill breakdown gun cases...you can email him to check.

color choice is dark blue, black, or forest green

2. gary0920

gary0920 Member

I have 2 and they are great covers.

3. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

They are great covers and thanks for the info. I need to get another case and I would definitely buy Jim's product again. Superior to others I have seen.

Cheers

4. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

no website.....Jim officially closed down shop either last year or the year before (can't remember) and is only doing case covers by word of mouth ....

5. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

That is great! They made the best case cover by far.

6. Customstox

Customstox Member Verified Youth Coach/Director

I saw Jim the other day in Missoula at a gathering and he was talking to a couple of people about his gun cases. I am going to need another one from him in a short while.

7. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

some people were asking if he had a website...I took some pics of my covers to give you an idea of what they look like. They are made of some type of ballistic cloth/Cordura.

hope this helps...

sernv99_2008_290917.jpg

sernv99_2008_290918.jpg

sernv99_2008_290919.jpg

sernv99_2008_290920.jpg

sernv99_2008_290921.jpg

8. Bill Buffalo

Bill Buffalo Member

Jim Foley 406-546-9915

9. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

from what I understand he has someone local to him make them....one time I had to change an order and he said he I could because he did not send the woman, who does the actual construction of the cases, my order yet....so just based on that I assume the person who makes the cases is local to him....

10. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

bump to top, for an excellent case cover....

11. tractorboy

tractorboy Member

How does this cover at $155, compare to the one that Americase sells for $99? I know that the Americase cover is held on by sticking velcro fasteners to the case (no zippers). In the pictures above, the Big Sky case looks like it is made out of heavier material than the Americase. Does the Big Sky have padding in it? Does the zipper go around 3 sides of the Big Sky case? How long does it take for an order to be built and shipped?

12. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

the zippers just zip around 3 sides. The material is heavy so it acts like extra padding. I never used an Americase cover so I don't know how it compares. I have seen many good reviews on these covers from shotgunworld and on here so I ordered one and was really happy with it.

Jim sends your order to a woman who does all the construction for the case cover so it depends on her schedule but the past few orders I submitted, I got my cover in about a week and a half to two and a half weeks. I live in Virginia so my shipping time might be longer/shorter that where you live. He sent my orders via post office parcel.

13. steele

steele TS Member

Does he make/build cases also?

14. skeezix

skeezix Member

No, Jim does not make cases. Another guy at the club is making cases as well as refurbishing Nasco or John Hall cases. Check out his website www.bfcases.com or email at kerry@bfcases.com

John

15. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Jim has made many covers for me over the years and they are top notch.

16. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

Hapy customer here... Jim and his crew did a fine job. Get the shoulder strap when you order one. Makes lugging all your gear so much easier. Thanks Jim!

17. EuroJoe

EuroJoe Well-Known Member

Americase covers with Velcro are a PITA, had one, gave it away to a friend!

18. RED Z06

RED Z06 Member

I just purchase a case from Jim a couple of weeks ago. Mine looks like the blue one in sernv99's post. I have the other Velcro type case on another Americase; it was already on the case when I bought it. It's functional, but I don't like it, the Velcro is worn and not holding very well anymore.

Jim's are padded with a three-sided zipper. I haven't had mine long enough to get it dirty, but according to Jim, his cases are washable and will not shrink.

I would rather pay the extra money for Jim's. They are heavy duty and very well made. I would not hesitate to buy another one. They are all made to order to your case dimensions.

Jim can be reached at 406-546-9915.

Thanks,
    Pat

19. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

Anyone thinking about buying one should by two...one to use now and another one to use as a backup in case your original case cover gets lost. You never know when Jim will call it quits for good. Too many times have I bought a product that I really liked then went back to buy addtional items and only to find out they don't make them anymore.

I'll be posting a case cover for sale shortly, as that it belonged to a Krieghoff case (for the ProSporter) that I recently sold. It's the blue one in my original pic, no shoulder strap.

20. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

I'll chime in again and agree completely with Dixie Special. In my dealings with Jim he was an impecable gentleman and a pleasure to do business with.

I have nothing against Americase...as a matter of fact, I also very much like them, their products, and their product support. But in the one matter of case cover design, I far prefer Jim's products.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

big sky case covers negrini

big sky gun case covers

jim foley gun case