1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Big Problems with Internet Explorer

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Onceabum, Jun 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

I'm having all kinds of problems with Internet Explorer. It's very slow and freezes up often. I got tired of the problems so went to Firefox. Some slight differences but so far it works great. Fast and no freese ups. Is this happening to anyone else?

BB

2. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

I use both and when my Explorer got really slow I had it's brain washed and now it is fine. Just some maintenance needs to be done.

3. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Like what?

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

The longer you use it the more sh-- that gets in that slows things up. Every once in a while ( maybe 2 years or so) I just wipe out the hard drive and start over

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

When IE opens ... up on top click Tools, Then click Internet Options.
    In the new box, click Browsing History, in the new box that opens, Check the 1st 4 items, then click Delete.

That will clean out a whole bunch of accumilated junk.

6. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Booger Blue What OS are you running????

Bob Lawless

7. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Ahab, My computer doesn't come up with the window you suggest. When I select Internet Options a screen come up and the only selection on browsing history is to delete or settings. It doesn't give me any other options. Jackie B.

I was looking for an easy way to speed up my computer also. It is old but has 2GHTZ speed and 2GB memory.

8. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Ivanhoe . . . Windows XP, Bob.

BB

9. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Booger, how often do you do a defrag and diskcheck and delete temporary files? Jackie B.

10. ivanhoe

BB I have the same problem but I am using Windows 7. I also clear out history, temporary internet files, and cookies on a weekly basis and it hasn't helped.

I believe it is in the ie program. The other day I had a whole bunch of updates after they were done it was better but not fixed 100%. Good luck let me know if you find a fix.

Bob Lawless

11. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Ok . . .deleted the the temporary files tonight as Ahab suggested.

Jackie B - Going to do a defrag and diskcheck tomorrow, it has been quite some time since that has been done.

Bob - You may be onto something about the problem being in the IE program. A local friend thinks so many people use IE that that could be the cause.

Anyway, thank you fellows for your interest and help. Will let you know how things progress.

BB

12. cpd544

cpd544 Member

Use Firefox it is a lot better than IE.

13. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Check to see if you can disable "Add-Ons" that are not used or needed. Go to the "Tools" menu and look for "Manage Add Ons". Extra toolbars and search tools will sometimes crash the browser. To see if IE is working right without add ons, go to the start menu, accessories, and then look around for the Internet Exploder (No Add-Ons). It might be in the system tools folder as well. If that works, try using the "Manage Add-ons" tool in the tools menu in IE.

I would also check for Malware. Malwarebytes is a decent tool to start with. Use the free version and do a full scan.

14. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Start by testing your drive for errors. If you're losing a cluster, IE will try reading it 10 times before it times out.

What security programs are you running? I sometimes see people running two and sometimes three virus scanners at the same time. There can be only one. Uninstall the rest, and don't forget Windows Defender, if you're using it. If you run Ad-Aware, disable all that Ad-Blocker crap. If you run Spybot, disable the TeaTimer and SDHelper features.

Try running CCleaner (www.download.com) to remove temp files, cookies and internet trash.

Reset your browser to its original defaults (Internet options/advanced/Reset Internet Explorer Settings). Set your number of days history to 0 and set your internet cache size to 10 MB (Internet Options/General/Browsing History) instead of 10% of your hard drive, and tell IE to delete temp files on exit (Internet Options/Advanced).

The suggestion about managing add ons is a good one.

Then defrag your drive.

If that doesn't do it, and assuming you have IE8, you can remove it from control panel/add remove programs and then reinstall it.

15. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

To Ivanhoe and Shooting Jack,

I deleted the temporary files last night and then did a defrag and diskcheck this morning. Since then IE has worked instantly with no slowdowns and no freeze ups. No troubles at all.

Thanks guys. Good Luck!

BB

16. ivanhoe

bobdog

"If that doesn't do it, and assuming you have IE8, you can remove it from control panel/add remove programs and then reinstall it."

If you were to do this what would happen to all of your favorites???? I have about a gazilloin items in my favorites list. I do not wish to loose them all the last time I remove IE and reinstalled it I save all my favorites to a disc and when I to put them back into the program again. I had to do it one at a time I am not about to do that again.

Bob Lawless

17. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I don't believe it. Not ONE @$$ suggested that he buy a Mac! It's amazing what a little maintenance can do for Windows.

18. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

This is a common issue when replacing one machine with another, and it's no big deal. Your favorites are stored as discrete files in your profile directory, clearly marked. If you're worried about them, you can copy them temporarily to another directory and then simply copy them back if you lose them, but you probably won't.

Firefox is a different story, but that's not an issue here. You can export your Firefox favorites to an html file and then reimport them when you finish reinstalling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.