1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Big Kitty

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by kgp912kgp, Oct 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

kgp912kgp_2011_2908.jpg

kgp912kgp_2011_2908.jpg

kgp912kgp_2011_29081.jpg

Saw this nice kitty in my back yard. Good to see nature up close but I am sure glad he didn't get too friendly. Anyone had a run in with one of these???

2. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

My gosh!!!!!!! Tron's cat has been in the steroids again. Never had a run in with one. I presume (hope) it would run the other way, unless it was cornered.

John

P.S. was the flash on, that you caught the reflection off of its eye in the third picture?

3. rrose

rrose TS Member

Yep see one on the farm some times. Pretty to look at a glad it is there as long as it stays out in the fields and woods. Sure is a rush when I catch sight of it.
    randy

4. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

ShHHH I walked up on him bout to 20 feet. I nearly soiled my britches!!! I managed to walk back to the house and get the video camera and snapped a few shots then realized I have video on this thing so I got some good film of the cat. This one has been here for a few years and only seen him bout 100 yards out never this close.

5. HC_John

HC_John TS Member

My brother in law ran into one in one of his traps. Mean little bastards they are, not afraid.

John MI

6. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

I once caught a house cat by mistake in a leg hold trap. That was a ferocious kitty. Had to throw a blanket over it to get to it so I could release it. The only thing I caught worse than a cat, was a groundhog. Everything was destroyed and "tilled" up in a perfect circle the length of the chain on the trap and the groundhog's body from the stake. He made several lunges toward me whenever I got close. Thank goodnes his leg was still solid and the trap had good springs. I didn't have a gun with me, just a club. I gotta admit, I didn't have the stones to get close enough to the goundhog to kill him with the club. I made the walk back home for the rifle. I figure sore feet were better than chewed up ankles.

John

7. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

For release try this, place a 5 gal bucket over the critter you want to release, gently pull the trapped foot under the side of the bucket and release trap. I used this method when I trapped in New Mexico years ago. I always released Badgers as there was no market for their pelts. Talk about a nasty critter, they were one bad dude.Jake

8. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Yep, have a real nice one on my wall!

Thought it was a big house cat in a place where it didn't belong!

9. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

Cool pictures.

10. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I wonder if he is blind in the right eye. No reflection of the light. Usually, both will reflect if they are looking straight into the camera. Even looks like the eye oepening is damaged or smaller. Every picture of this buck I have, the left eye is not reflecting light. Neat animals though. We have had a family of Bobcats at our hunting farm for years now.
    stlflyn_2010_0704147.jpg

11. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

You know that in the video I got the right eye did look more damaged than you can see in the picture. He must have gotten in a fight with a coyote over one of the local rabbits. It's so nice to see him when we do. I tend to catch myself wanting to fight the coyotes too. Found remains of a baby elk recently and the next night saw 3 of them around where the baby was.

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Never had a bad run in with a bobcat but they are highly sought after around here during the winter months. Last year a few guys that I know caught some exceptional cats and fur prices were excellent. A couple of those pelts sold bor better than $1K each. Needless to say, we don't turn down any shots at these guys.

13. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

can them suckers be domesticated? effin scary! the claws freak me out.

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Cool looking kitty. They're usually pretty skittish and tend to avoid human contact.

Interesting you got that close without him taking off in a hurry.

15. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

That critter looks like a Lynx to me with those tufts of hair on its ears, or am I seeing things??
    Woody

16. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

I googled it, and Lynx and bobcats are both of the same family there for the similarities. Heck I can't tell them apart. Reguardless this was an exciting evening. Yes very suprising the cat did not run away when he spotted me.

17. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Pretty sure it's a bob. Pretty rare to ever see a lynx south of the canadian border!

18. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

It very well could be a Lynx. Lack of spots on the coat, facial hair, and the greyish color would say Lynx. Also the more I look at the tufts on the ears, they seem to be longer than a Bobcats. These cats vary in appearance so much that it is hard to tell for sure. As metioned above the Lynx is rare, but does have a range including the upper western-central US. After looking at pictures, I am leaning toward the Lynx. Jon

Where was this picture taken?

19. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

These were taken in the central coast area of CA. Just 10 miles north of Monterey,CA. where they have spotted numerous mountian lions in the city limits the past few months. This cat has been spotted the in the last 2 years around the ranch every couple of months and seems to be living in an abandon barn where I found a pre 82 MEC 650 that was so badly rusted it wouldn't move, which I have restored and use every weekend (but that story is for another topic).

I would love to find out it is a lynx. To me, I have seen bobcats in south Georgia as a kid and they were much smaller that this big cat. Any more input would be greatly appreciated. THANKS

20. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

It is a Bob and from the looks of things, it probably just finished a nice dinner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.