1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Big Green Egg?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by HTSmith, Jul 3, 2013.

1. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

Our new hardware store had an ad in this morning's paper for a "Big Green Egg" for a price of $850. It appears to be a charcoal grill. Admittedly I'm behind the times on lots of things, but what is this thing and what could make it worth $850.00?

2. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

They are all ceramic and hold heat much better than any other cooker made. They use lump charcoal and can be regulated to stay at a constant temp very easy. Food stays much moister and does not dry out like regular charcoal cookers. They hold heat even on the coldest winter days. When you are done grilling you can shut off the air and the lump charcoal will go out and can be re-used next time. Produces very little ash and lasts a lot longer than regular charcoal. Like a lot of toys they are pricey but if you like grilling out they are the chit. Primos makes a very nice one as well. It is all made in the USA as well. They come in many sizes and colors too. Not just green and black.

3. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

The pellet smoker/grills are the popular ones around here. Way too pricey for this cheap white boy. I still use my Weber kettle and smoky joe. Once in a while the gas grill, but doesn't have the flavor of kingsford. Bill

4. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Mr Smith

what could make it worth $850.00?

NOTHING!

5. K-EIGHTY

K-EIGHTY Member

A buddy of mine has the extra large Big Green Egg ($1,250.00) and swears it's worth every penny. He grew up in St. Louis and is a real meat lover. I've had brisket from it, and it was outstanding.

6. TRKYKLR

TRKYKLR TS Member

IMO, the Big Green Egg grills are worth every penny that they cost. I've had one for almost 3 years and I absolutely love it. It will hold at .225-250 for at least 12 hours without ever touching the coals. Or, I can jack the temp up to .750 and cook a steak in minutes. One thing to consider is that since it is ceramic, it will never burn out. Unless you break it somehow, it should last forever. I'm sure it wouldn't be worth the cost to some, but I grill/smoke a lot and find it to be the absolute best cooker I've ever used.

Mike

7. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

I have had a Green Egg for years; versatile, efficient, and worth every penny.

Dave

8. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

I have to go with yes also.....it's worth every dime. Especially when you compare it to something like a new pickup...50k plus and good for how long?
    They aren't for everyone. You need a bit of patience, not like turning on the propane and grilling in 10....altho it can be done on the egg.

ric3677_2008_0303145.jpg

ric3677_2008_0303146.jpg

But if you don't think it's worth it...keep the webber.

9. AEST BOSS

AEST BOSS Member

We've got one at the deer lease. Best way to cook dove, quail, chicken, steaks, brisket that I have ever used and tasted.

10. wrd

wrd Member

You will not find a better charcoal smoker/grill. Mine was broken by movers and I wish I could afford a new one. Has anyone tried the metal ones at Costco and Bj's?

11. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

Sounds like a good price if it is A Real One.

They cost more than that last time I checked.

They make off brands but if it a Green Egg it is a deal.

Kenny U

12. aabradley82

aabradley82 TS Member

WRD, I have one the metal kamodos. Cooks identical to a ceramix IMO. I do not think it will last forever, but if it goes 10 years I will have owned it for $30 a year.

13. i_shoot

i_shoot Member

ric3677, I'm eating supper at your house tonight!!! :)

i_shoot

14. ric3677

I shoot.

I will be putting 4 butts on tomorrow night for a family reunion. I can smell them cooking. Nothing like it.

Happy 4th to all

Rick in MT

15. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

A word of caution....follow directions and do NOT use lighter or match light as it will penetrate and stink up the ceramic.

16. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

I love to smoke food but have never had the opportunity to taste meat smoked on a green egg. I need to find a neighbor or someone at church that has one of these things. It sounds superior to my smoker grill, webber kettle and propane grills!

17. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

Fifty years ago we used to haul a lot of them back from Japan on Air Force transport planes. The large #5 cost $5.00 back then. They were heavy to move and the ag inspectors would make us remove all of the hay that was used for packing. They really worked great. Ron

18. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Anyone tried the Acorn, looks a lot like the green egg?

GneJ

19. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Can't cry about the price here, there are guys paying 10 grand for a single barrel shotgun.

(that humming noise you hear is my daddy spinning in his grave, LOL)

HM

20. ric3677

Rick, yes, I built it myself, but if I had it to do over the egg would have been centered.

Such is life.....live and learn.

Rick in MT

Search tags for this page

i can not get my big green egg to stay up on temp