1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

***BIG GRAND ???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Barry C. Roach, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I see a lot of folks, on this site, scrambling for camping spots. Is the Grand going to be so big that most of the spots will be filled? It wasn't that way last year. There were a lot of spaces available.

I hope this is a sign that the Grand will be the biggest for Sparta.

2. Barry C. Roach

Big Z. Hope that indicator is wrong. I'm sure it does serve as an indicator of the trend but I think there are many who have shot less to save money for the Big G.

3. TennTrap

TennTrap Member

Hey Barry are you going to be in the same camping spot this year had you were last year?
    If so, I'll see ya in a few days.

Your neighbor
    Tenntrap,

4. Jerry Parr

Jerry Parr Member

.....and there in lies the problem Barry. Nobody shooting practice at the local clubs....just saving shells for 'big' shoots. That'll work fine for just about another year....maybe two. Then out everyone marches to practice up for that 'big' shoot...guess what....local club is history. Take a look at weekend ATA shoots and practice days if you want a true pulse on the health of our sport. Shoot well...........Jerry

5. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Well I won't be shooting this year at the grand but might visit some friends there.

So if anyone wants me to visit them then send me a Private message on the location of your tent or motor home or even 5th wheel. I think that covers all of the spots at the grand!

Anyway the last 2 years I shot 100 targets and left all gummed up I know im not up to par so decided to save my shells for something more important.

[​IMG]

6. IMR 7625

IMR 7625 Member

I AM HERE AT THE CAMP GROUNDS THE SAME DAY AS LAST YEAR

4 CAMPERS IN THE GROUNDS WHERE I CAMP LAST YEAR THERE WERE 50

7. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I hope it is big! I'll probably shoot a couple of days.

Tough economy might work to the Grands advantage. I talked to one guy who is going to the Grand for the first time in years. He said he may as well shoot his money down the end of the barrel as put it in the stock market. At least he gets some pleasure from shooting.

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The Biggest Little Trap Shoot in the World right there in Sparta, Illinois ... The attendance is so good they have eliminated using half of the banks and in the coming years those will probably be cut in half until its not much bigger than a small state shoot ... Hats off to those that made the choice to move to Sparta, way to go guys ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

WPT----Your a moron you know that? That is far from half the banks. Have you ever been there b4? The west side is alot smaller then the east side and their reasoning was to provide an area for games as well as be able to use the skeet houses. Now what if they didn't move to Sparta, ummm, it would have been where? Maybe the Vandalia Airport parking lot??? Get over it you big whining idiot.-----Matt

10. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Bill, why don't you stop beating this dead horse and buy it as hamburger from your beloved Walmart. I never saw anyone that participates in a sport so happy to see its decline. As I recall, we didn't have much of a choice at the time, and you know it. I like you, but I am sick of hearing this all the time and I'm not going to debate it with you. If your fishing, I'm done, I'm going to the club to shoot. Harv.

11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Not beating anything, the attendance keeps falling off and there has to be a reason ... Probably Moronic Idiots like Matt calling people names who he don't even know because they don't have the same opinion as he or she does ... But he or she does have a legitimate excuse being as he or she only lives 10 minutes from the facility and probably ain't the brightest bulb in the box ...

Harv,
    I like you also but you know me, I tell it like it is and don't care who likes it or not ... WalMart is business and it just happends to be one of the business's that keep building and expanding rather than closing stores like many of the other big retailers ... Shoot well at the Grand and enjoy it while you can ... I'm not the only one who feels that moving to Sparta was the begining of the end for the Grand as we all once knew it ... Stay safe and have a good trip ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

12. grntitan

WPT---Ok i apologize for my name calling you are right about that i don't know you and that ain't right but neither is your name calling of the WSRC since you have not been there. Attendance is down from both the economy and the people like you who refuse to go to Sparta but never thought once of the people like me who went to Ohio. You know the Grand wasn't always in Ohio. What if all those people who lost it in their town did the same crap you did. Maybe the Grand wouln't have made it their either. Besides what you think the Grand will survive the test of time and it will do it in Sparta because people like me care that it does. People like you that wish and pray for its demise will only see the sport fail. Hope thats what you really really want. Honestly i would be the first one to shake your hand if you would come to Sparta to the Grand just as i came to Ohio.----Matt

13. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Ohio rolled out the red carpet for the Grand (When they left}.

Sparta was kind enough to build one. For now, that's where she's at.

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Matt,

I assure you that I do not want to Grand to fail, and that was my concern before it went to Sparta and all of the Big Shots pushed it to the limits ... It was a move based on deparation and deparate people make desparate mistakes out of hast compared to thinking it all out and making calculated moves that could of been to their benefit eventually ... The writing has been on the wall since it moved and the attendance started dropping off faster than it was in Vandalia ... People say "to hell with those that won't come, we don't need them", when in fact they not only need them, they need anyone and everyone they can muster to make it not fail and eventually become a successful shoot ... The economic factors will not help and are only going to get worst before its all over and that cannot be a good thing for shooting in general ... I have been to Sparta but admittedly before they built the WSRC there because I have friends who lived and probably still live there and worked for Peabody Coal and the Hospital years gone by ... I think and believe that Sparta, Illinois is a quaint and peacefull little rural part of Americana but damn sure not the place for what once was the Biggest Trap Shoot in the World ... I remember people saying they would sleep in their cars and sleep in tents like all of our forefathers did years ago at Vandalia and those are the same ones who complain that the Sparta Hotel is a shit hole for multiple reasons ... The ATA has done more to not make it work than they have to make it work in Sparta in some suggestive ways or by elimination of certain things to many of its members ... I have been a Life Member of the ATA for over 35 years and can remember when it was something that people were proud of, now its a Good Ol' Boys club for a group that likes to separate itself from the ones they are supposed to represent and has been for years, I know that for a fact because I saw it first hand ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

15. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

There you go more moronic logic from one that doesn't have sense enough to realize. The decision to got to Sparta was made and has come to pass beating the Hell out of a dead horse won't bring it back and neither will harping on the decision to go to Sparta.

Leave sleeping Dog lay will you please?????

Bob Lawless

16. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Back to the original topic. All of the scrambling for camping spots is in the full hookup areas. Electric only will have plenty of open spots. Lots of folks do not like the shower house.

I always wondered if they had not spent a fortune on the "premium" spots with pad and all, if they would have had the money to make the entire campground "full" hookup. Who knows? One thing for sure with the Illinois budget crisis I would not expect to see any WSRC improvements, they are just hanging on in a maintainence mode like the rest of the state departments.

It would be nice if someone from the IDNR would get on here and confirm it, but last year I am sure you could show up and pay your fee and camp in electric only all week. Likely the same scenario this year.

17. grntitan

WPT----If you didn't really want it to fail as you say ,you would be attending as you did at Ohio and you would see if your friends that you knew were still in this quaint but hosting little town. If you didn't want it to fail you would be incouraging more people to go to the Grand instead of preaching this dooms day logic. If you didn't want it to fail you would have shot more registered targets then just 400 in the last 4 years. DO YOU REALLY WANT THE GRAND AND ATA TO SURVIVE?????? Are you sure????-----Matt

18. Barry C. Roach

Jerry Parr, Of course you are right but after your state spends $53 Million on a facility for us, we Illinois taxpayers have right to be proud.

19. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

WPT, I just checked the flight schedule and even at this late date you can fly from PHX to STL and back for the Grand your choice of flight days for a little over $400 with tax.

I think you attending the Grand would help mend fences and sooth hurt feelings that have occurred since the Grand moved to Sparta! It could only help. It would give you a chance to return to your beloved IL. and shoot and visit with old friends and colleagues. What could be "Grander"? Plus you will be able to enjoy some unseasonably cool weather that the Midwest has been having this summer.

If people see that WPT is attending then Sparta's salad days are just upon us, and other people will start attending.

You come WPT and I will take you to the Walmart in Sparta and I will purchase your first 100 shells (Federal value pack $20.97) to shoot at the Grand this year.

What day you arriving?

PS, stop and see if you can get grammie to come along with you.

20. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

I dropped my trailer on Sunday after the Central zone shoot at Brittany. There were a lot of rigs already on site and when I was heading back North, there was a steady stream of rigs headed to WSRC for the Grand. It didn't look like there was shortage of shooters headed in.
    Pat Haskins

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.