1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Big dogs and PFS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slugbug1, Dec 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

I have a PFS on the way for my Ljutic...most people on here only have good things to say about them. But,if there so great why don't I see Leo or any of the other top shooters using them? I would suspect that they have had their gun fit to them? Or,do some of the big guys have them and I just don't know about it. Just curious. GaryL.

2. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

My guess would be they had there gun manufacture custom fit there stock to them or they found one iof the gun manufactures stock configurations fit them.
    My Kolar stock fits me as good as it gets so there would not be a need for a PFS on my gun.

3. Tony Fortino

Tony Fortino Member

The reason that the big dogs don't shoot PFS is because PFS does not have the same marketing program that a company like Wenig does they advertise by shooters. Except Leo, he just seems to be separated from the crowd so to speak. He shoots Beretta and stock-lock most others shoot Perazzi or krieghoff and Wenig.

I think you could think of it as PFS being Browning and Wenig and/or other high end stockmakers being krieghoff. Browning is affordable by the average joe and is still a good gun to most eyes, to my knowledge browning has no sponsored shooters and still sells a load of guns. Krieghoff though, is the higher end of the "gun spectrum" it costs a pretty penny and is either unaffordable or considered unneccesary by a good chunk of people. Krieghoff has several exceptional shooters sponsored which is thier marketing system. Browning has made a name for itself and it sells guns that way.

Browning being PFS and Krieghoff being Wenig it's the best comparison I have.

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Are you a Big Dog? If not buy a PFS, and you just may become a Big Dog........

5. Tony Fortino

Tony Fortino Member

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

All things being equal, which one would you shoot?

Most of the better shooters out there get things for free, or at a greatly reduced price. Would you choose a PFS with its quirky looks, or a nice custom made Pro-Soft/Stock-Lock?

This is a no brainer for me. I'll choose custom fitted everytime.

P.S. I'm not bashing a PFS as I like them, but they aren't in the same league as a custom fitted stock.

ss

7. WoodQuilt

WoodQuilt TS Member

Perhaps the Big Dogs don't shoot in the warm/cold weather and need to make adjustments to their stocks to accommodate the changes in clothing required in colder climates. My Kolar stock is too long for my winter clothing and I am seriously considering the use of an easily adjustable stock. When is the last time that you saw a Big Dog shooting in a snow storm with north winds and diving targets?

Don't knock the other guy for trying to adjust for the climate...

By the way, all orange targets against the snow are very tough to pickup. I tend to lift my head when looking for the bird. I think that I hate winter.

Merry Christmas

8. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Well.. to me.. it's NOT the money.. I just really like the PFS..

9. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Maybe thew Big Dogs don't want a funny lookin' gun?

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Actually, you will find a PFS on the guns of some All Americans. But, most All Americans have very short necks. A short neck eliminates many gun fit problems. I shoot a PFS and I may make the All American team next year. Last year I got 47 points and only missed the team by about 300 points.

Pat Ireland

11. crusha

crusha TS Member

Probably the same reason most Big Dogs don't change guns every other year. They shoot the same gun, year after year, and get used to it. That's worth more than any device. I think other things being equal, the guy who has a slightly imperfect gun fit, but STAYS WITH IT and gets used to it, will probably outshoot the guy who has all the latest adjustable gear, and changes it every couple months in a quest for the ultimate fit...(a search that never ends).

A Clay Target Champion and former All-American once told me you need at least 20,000 targets, maybe even twice that, to get really used to any gun/equipment/setup combination, shooting it under all conditions. If you F___ with it, you re-set the clock all over again.

I suspect many PFS owners probably re-set that clock quite often. If you're an inveterate tinkerer, the PFS will be cotton-candy for you. But if the tinkering never stops, you'll never get good.

The quest for ultimate fit only has meaning, if the search has an END. If you think shooting in different weather and clothing requires anything more than an extra $35 Kick Eez pad of identical type but a different thickness, changeable in two minutes, you're either smoking dope or shooting a gun with a comb that's not level...(both bad ideas).

12. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

Slugbug1, have not seen you in a while. I have two PFS stocks. They have kept me in the game. Flinching is gone. One draw back is in doubles, not quick enough for me, but at least I can shoot the second shot without flinching. 10tenner

13. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

I think that the owner/designer of the PFS stock, Vern Brown, is a Big Dog. Great shooter and great guy.

Tom Strunk

14. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I am not a Big Dog and not even a little dog, but I will give you my experience. The PFS is a great tool, and Vern Brown the Owner/Designer of the PFS is a great man and a great guy to do business with. I have owned 3 PFS systems, and shot some pretty good scores with them. I broke back to back 97's in some of the Prelim events in Caps @ the 2008 Grand with a PFS. I won enough cash to buy 3 PFS syestems. But....as I kept shooting more and more, I started to pull the gun in tighter to my shoulder and hold the pistol grip tighter (most big dogs say this is the correct way to mount/shoot). I used to pull in loose and hold pistol grip area very lightly and the PFS did ok, but the more you pull it into your shoulder, it will start to give. This was mentioned by a poster above, and it really bothered me too. When I mount the gun, I want to mount it firm with no movement. With the PFS, if you tighten it up until it doesn't move...it doesn't reduce any recoil. It is basically a wood stock. In my opinion, if you are looking for a good fit and reduced recoil.....call Wenig's in Lincoln, Missouri. I recently had them custom-fit me to a stock and build me one. The fit is great, it doesn't kick, and is the best money I have ever spent. And it is not near as expensive as you might think. If you was to keep your forearm and buy a standard piece of wood (which will be fairly pretty), you can get that stock for around the same price as a PFS.

Matt Woodson

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.