1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Big Dogs and Cake

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by flashmax, Jun 17, 2013.

1. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

Remember, folks, that the long running thread with the above topic started out this way

> quote <

Lets see if this thread can gather more "hits" then the other one, and

["full disclosure"] ...

I am just an editor/writer/reporter posting this for someone who has asked (and paid) me to help them get their point across. I have never shot in any so-called money shoots and do not plan to start any time soon: ===================================================================

Begin -

> end quote <

Re-read that. The entire purpose of the troll was to pi$$ folks off enough to start controversy and generate server clogging and space wasting messages.

How about we ignore the trolling and maybe do something constructive with what the troll got us talking about? There have been several good informative posts on there but there have also been many little pricks and prods just to get responses by riling people up.

One answer, maybe, to the question posed might be in the BIO's thread. Targets that are harder for everybody to break when our friends 'chip and chunk' fail to show up for us might work. It would force us all to center punch every target to get the break instead of a wild flying piece of luck in the form of a flat shot out of the pattern. Or the shot-light edges of the pattern. Close counts with pitch targets but not as well with BIO's.

Don T. Littleton CO

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Why should I shoot targets that don't break very well just to make some moaners who hardly shoot at all happy? I am supposed to suffer because they won't get off their dead asses and learn to shoot? Give me a break!

Neil

3. Pipe Layer

Pipe Layer Well-Known Member

4. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Good one Neil...

5. darr

darr Well-Known Member

Winners never whine. What would a victory mean if it is gained by a fix in the competition. I don't win much. But when I do and it is a fair competition against shooters better than me it sure feels good. Shut up and shoot.

Darr

6. Pipe Layer

Cool, Folks actually saying learn to shoot.But wait on it, it's coming the moaners will jump on soon and here you go again.Another 100 plus threads of the same 5 or ten cry babies a place to wine some more about the good shooters taking their cake! It's coming .Hold on!

7. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

They will be along shortly..

Practice Practice Practice.

8. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

Neil,

I fully agree with you. I sat back and admired Ray Stafford shoot off for the Bringelson Handicap last weekend. The best I could do was Category runnerup. Earlier over on the 'other thread' I wrote about just shoot and shoot yourself into a slice of the cake but ... those Bio's cost everyone targets last weekend. Including Ray. Me, I shot lousy and still ended up well but listened to a lot of shooters complaining about the smoke but don't break of the targets.

Is 'it' broke? I don't think so but I pride myself in my own accomplishments and work hard to improve myself. A lot of other people think 'it' is broke and want changes. Attendance is down all across the country. The economy is only part of it. The people who really WORK to make a shoot come off well are running into age problems. The average is coming on 70 years old for them. Nobody ( not 'NO'body but for the most part ) younger is willing to step up and do their part to keep things going. Look at the average age of all the ATA delegates and EC members. Look at the average age of the high class shooters. Look at the average age of the above average shooters. We are getting old. You are getting old, Whizzer is getting old, Ray Stafford looks older every time I see him. I accepted a position over the weekend that is going to take a lot of work and some shooting time away but dang it somebody has to do it. I love this sport. I want it to be there for my great-grandson born this year to enjoy using my shotguns and, I hope, my ability to instruct. If we old ones keep it how it is the sport might die. History is a good teacher if we pay attention to it. Changes have been made in the past that, on the face,

""Why should I shoot targets that don't break very well just to make some moaners who hardly shoot at all happy? I am supposed to suffer because they won't get off their dead asses and learn to shoot? Give me a break! ""

looked just like your comment quoted here. I don't know the answer but maybe the right question has not yet been asked.

Best regards,

Don T. Littleton CO

9. Pipe Layer

So if their whiners and have money we should listen? How about we go with the majority and see how that works.The whiners are not.

Money should never be a factor in how you treat people!

Bottom line is if people want to shoot they will and if they don't they won't.Don't matter what you do,you can not force them back into shooting.We need to just wake up and realize that there are many, many more factors such as the economy,fuel and shell prices that are playing into the decline in shooters at this time.The system is not the problem!The whiners are few compared to the picture as a whole.

There is no way to satisfy everyone.You fix what some think is wrong and then you piss off another group.Never ending cycle.

When I hear something that someone suggested that I know will help the sport for all Trap shooters as a whole.I will jump on board with both feet.I have not heard that here.

TD

10. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I guess I'll post on here and whine some.

Why can't people just shoot the best they can and be happy with the results. If you beat someone better than you pat yourself on the back and try to do it again.

Pretty soon you'll be the hunted instead of the hunter..

Thanks for listening.

Bill

11. rw993

rw993 Active Member

Since I can't beat the "big doggies", will you change the rules so I can?

This and the other post are BS. If you play the High gun Purse and you have an 88 avg in HDCP then you are hoping for a day in the sun. Why would you persue a bet that you know you are looking at small dog odds.

If you play your yardage group option then win or lose you are shooting against (temporary) peers.

If you are a 27 yarder and have the above avg then Neil is right......

Learn to shoot better. I love the thread that ties in here. The one about "is practice really worth it" ???

Naw, just keep making empties....

RW

12. Pipe Layer

Amen,Learn to shoot better.The only way to be better at anything is to compete against competition that is better than you.

You won't improve by trying to bring them down your skill level.

Welcome to reality, we can't all be All Americans .

13. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

But Terry, I don't want to shoot better. I just want to win. Why won't you help me?

Neil

14. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"Another 100 plus threads of the same 5 or ten cry babies a place to wine some more about the good shooters taking their cake! It's coming ."

That is interesting as you are the one that said.

"Money should never be a factor in how you treat people!"

So what should???? Certainly no one should be treated as you suggest in the first quote. I have yet to read anyone say that they are looking for an easy way to beat the 27 yard shooters.

You on the other hand seem to make a habit of belittling shooter that are thinking outside the box. As another example

"Everybody keeps harping on Caps.Hell, I usually carry around a low AAA singles average and hardly ever win.My scores are worse this year but can we please make the Top Guns shoot AAAA,A 93 average doubles shooter will very seldom win against the good Doubles shooters. Heck, lets but them in AAAA too.I don't want to shoot good enough, I just want them out of the way."

One has nothing to do with the other we are not talking about classes or yardage groups. we are talking about inequities in the handicap system.

Bob Lawless

15. Avatar

Flashmax is right. The real problem is the declining popularity of the sport--at least among the younger ages. What can be done? I don't know. With the entry of TV, golf became a spectator sport with lots of money and stardom status for the Tiger Woods. Trap isn't even close. Tweaking the handicap system is unlikely to help at all. Maybe, making the overall game harder, a la Olympic trap, would increase the excitement for spectators; I don't know. A good part of the problem is probably the anti-gun sentiment, but even among the gun-owning population, trap doesn't seem to be as popular as it was years ago.

16. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

Trapshooting is doing just fine, it is registered ATA that is in trouble.
    Our league has 400 people and turning some away because that is all we can handle, practice is up considerably on both Sundays and Tuesday night, but the registered shoots this year are just holding thier own, at least not declining this year so far.

17. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

As stated on the other DA thread. Solution - put everyone on the 27 and put them in classes from AAA to D. Now shut up and shoot.

If you don't think the economy and $4 gas don't affect our sport greatly then you have your head in the sand. When our sport was at it's peak the economy was far different. $10 per bag for shot, shells $2 box. Shell were so cheap that a case held 20 boxes.

RWT how much does your club promote registered shooting amongst your league shooters, not very much I would guess.

Don

18. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

Don,

Not as much as I used to.

about 75% of our league shooters have never shot registered targets.

So out of those 300 usually around 5% will try registered targets, there are a number of those that have stayed with it, but also a lot that didn't which is a whole lot better than we get out of the general population here in Ca.

The most important thing to me is just getting people out to the club to shoot. As you know targets in the air = income, so practice or league is just as good as registered as far a putting targets in the air.

This league we threw 120,000 league targets plus all the practice targets. We haven't thrown that many registered targets in our March, April and May shoot combined.

Robert

19. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I couldn't help myself. LOL

20. Pipe Layer

Bob you haven't shown me a solution to the problem you and a few others think exist.

I'd be glad to give you a award for copy and paste.I believe you are hands down the best here.

If the truth hurts I'm sorry.Their are very few of you that are whining.Go back thru all these threads and you will see it's the same few every time.Most rarely even shoot.

Show me a solution! You have not yet.Just beating the same old crap to death.

Nothing here yet as far as I have seen (My Opinion ) has done crap for Trap shooting.If anything it has a negative effect.

Gather your shooters and get with your Delegate.Let him voice your concerns . That's what He is for.As stated above I will work for what the majority wants and you are not it.

But thanks for your concern.

TD