1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BIG DEAD SNAKE.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Auctioneer, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Glad this snake is dead. I would hate to meet it in the woods.

2. eric

eric TS Supporters TS Supporters

Have seen it before and knew what was coming - still got me!

3. Guy

Guy Member

This is a snake!
    wgh_2008_0303329.jpg

wgh_2008_0303330.jpg

4. Auctioneer

That is a African snake of some kind. That pic and snake was taken in Australia.

5. Cyrus

Cyrus Member

FYI. It's an African Rock Python, had one not quite as large. Real nasty critters. Never got bite by mine, however unfortunalety have taken bites from a lot worse snake species. Looks like she been eating well. Could swallow the family dog, even a child or small person. Looks impressive but there other types of constrictors that are even bigger out on the loose. People purchase these a babies and release them in the wild (especially Florida which has almost an ideal climate) when they become too much to handle. They and other large pythons are probably the only threat to the Gator population. BTW, there is a healty Cobra colony in Florida due to pet snakes being released in the wild. Very hard to get this under control. Watch where you step. Just a side note. Guess what state has outlawed the ownership of these snakes. The fine State of N.Y. I happen to live in New York and would rather deal with real reptiles and snakes then the type of SNAKES who sit in the Mayors and Governers office. Reptiles are just attempting to surive, our govermental snakes are much more dangerous.

6. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Auctioneer:
    Almost fall off my chair. Hate fricken snakes.
    Steve Balistreri

7. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

"Shocking"

Poor little thing.

8. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

OK, I've changed my underwear and I'm ready to post again. Cyrus is correct, that is an African Rock Python. They are extremely aggressive and have been known to eat children. They are one of the more dangerous invasives that can be found in southern Florida and can hydridize with Bermese pythons, which would be even larger and perhaps as aggressive.

If Florida was really serious about ridding itself from these invasives, there is a simple solution known as a progressive bounty. The more snakes you catch, the more money you make. It makes use of Human greed and is by far the most effective means to eliminate any unwanted species.

9. federal paper

federal paper TS Member

And they still keep askin why we need 30 round mags

10. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

I thought this was going to be a photo of Obama.....

Jim C

11. ramen39

ramen39 Member

I believe that just in the past couple of weeks, Florida did have A roundup of pythons. I think they harvested nearly A hundred. I hope thats not true about the cobra population in Florida. Why would anyone want to keep one of those as A pet or for any other reason.

12. ramen39

ramen39 Member

I believe that just in the past couple of weeks, Florida did have A roundup of pythons. I think they harvested nearly A hundred. I hope thats not true about the cobra population in Florida. Why would anyone want to keep one of those as A pet or for any other reason.

13. Tron

There are also Black Mambas....they make Cobras look like Garter Snakes.

14. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I don't even think a Nitro 27 sporting clay load in 7.5 would hurt that thing.

I personally think they should round up these people who had non native snakes as "pets". Then drop them in the Everglades, and not let em come out until they found their snake and all it's offspring.

Then cap.....................................

15. Auctioneer

I did see a show on snakes on Animal Planet. The mamba were talked about. They said they have both black and green Mambas in Fl. The Cobra is a first that I heard of. DAMN PEOPLE.

The lion fish is also a big problem in the waters around FL. They got out because of storms flooding or distroying the building they were in. Now the fish is hurting the natural water system of FL.

16. Tron

You have a pretty good chance of surviving a Cobra bite, but the Momba is 100% fatal if not treated with anti venom almost immediately. It's the fastest snake in the world, super aggressive, large and highly venomous, making it extremely dangerous.

17. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

They did have a large snake hunt in the everglades....30 days...over 1000 people signed up and got permits. It is over now and they gathered up a total of 32 snakes! Evidently like a needle in a haystack.........Uncle Sam, Pa.

18. Cyrus

Cyrus Member

BTW....Tron is on the right track. However, drop by drop, the Mamba is not the most deadly land snake in the world. That title belong to the Australian Fierce snake, which does not account for many deaths as it lives in remote regions and is not known to be aggressive. The second most venomous snake, drop for drop is not a land dwelling snake, but a sea snake that is in the Krait family. Again, very docile, fishermen take them out of nets bare handed. However the land dwelling Banded Krait snake takes honors for killing the most humans. It is not the most venomous by any means, but thrives in densly populated areas, such as India and guess what happens when you don't wear shoes and step on one? As Tron mentioned, the Mamba is one serious snake. The Green Mamba is more of a tree dweller and more isolated. However the Black Mamba is the nastiest SOB is the snake world. It is very large, aggressive, will stand and not give any ground to a human and frequently invades the huts and attacks and bites entire families repeatedly. It is probably one of the only snakes that will seek our humans, especially during the mating season. As mentioned, Cobras are wimps compared to a Mamba bite, even with anti-venom your chance of survival is slim to none. They inject a great amount of very potent venom per bite. Remember ALL snakes have forked tongues, just like the one that inhabits the White House.

19. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

A 22 is a wimp gun too compared to 30-06, but it will still kill you.

Why don't one of you guys go get bite by a FL cobra and see if you survive, so the rest of us can determine if it is a wimp or not. It would help alleviate our irrational fears if you do survive, and well if not, we would find confirmation of what we already suspect.

20. Cyrus

Cyrus Member

FYI, Cobras usually do not inject venom when they hit a human. They have small venom glands and fangs, it usually is a warning strike. They save the limited good stuff for small prey which is more on the menu.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

big dead snake