1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

big bad wolf

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BILL GRILL, Jul 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

How would you like to meet this wolf in the woods with out a gun?

<a href="http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/billgrill/?action=view&current=bigbadwolf.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

2. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

I would have rather had a camera than a gun.

3. BMC

BMC Member

I believe that one might be real...along with these two.

[​IMG]

4. otnot

otnot Active Member

When I was a kid we had a female wolf hang around our yard with our male dog all one winter. She would come and eat out of the dog dish lay around in the yard waiting to play with our malamute. I would have to say she went about 160 pounds.

5. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Timber or northern???

6. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

Now, you just have to remember them boys are only 4'3"!!!! When you call one of them in, do you use the cotton tail or jack rabbit tone??? Maybe wounded Caribou call?? No matter what, I'll stick to coyotes.

7. Mapper

Mapper Member

I never shot a wolf, but I have had some pretty large dogs and judging from the size of my two Beauviors at 150 each, that black wolf would have to weigh about 275. I ain't buying it. Besides I knew Bud Dalrymple and he never said anything about wolves that big.

8. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Well when I look up the Gray Wolf AKA, Timber Wolf for size it says

"The size of the gray wolf depends greatly on where its habitat is located. Wolves that live in parts of the world that lie on higher latitudes tend to be bigger than those that live closer to the equator. The height of the gray wolf varies between 26 to 38 inches from paw to shoulder. Lengthwise, it measures from 4.5 to 6.4 feet from head to tail."

Under weight I find can weigh up to 175 lbs with variations up to 15 pounds up or down.

Which would mean that Mapper's assertions about his Bouv's.

"judging from the size of my two Beauviors at 150 each, that black wolf would have to weigh about 275.

If he is even close to being right I will go out on a limb and say never mind the big bad wolf. Look out foe the bad a&& hunter. Holding up 275lbs for a picture he must be one strong son of a gun.

Bill Great Pic's

Bob Lawless

9. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

Don't know about the pictures, real or not, but the Idaho Elk would probably think they were real.
    Carey

10. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Warning: There are graphic images on this website.

11. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

The photo was emailed to me by the ole wood man from t.s. history.

12. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Well it is good to see that one limp. Here in the sothern up we use the three "S" system for all the little wolfie's............

GS

13. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

My mother was born in 1916 in St. Petersburg, Russia and her family soon moved south about 300 miles to a rural village when the Czar was overthrown. Wolves were common and feared, especially at night.

She was attacked once as a teenager and the wolf was driven off by a family member. She still shudders whenever a wolf is mentioned, even in a cartoon.

She will be 93 August 4th and still has her right mind. She belonged to a large family but time and WW II has caused her to be the sole survivor.

Every now and then she imagines that she is a little girl again. She talks of walking home from a neighbor's house that was over a kilometer away. She says with a very serious look that she has to leave well before dark to get home before the wolves come out.

Wolves sometimes were alone but often were in groups or packs. Wolves were known to kill livestock and sometimes people.

Ed Ward

14. 700X-user

700X-user Member

I don't buy the photo enhancement idea. I have photo shopped a lot of photos as jokes for friends and family. In looking at these 2 photos, they aren't the best examples to photo shop. If you check out the saveelk.com website you will find more photos under the "Myths" banner. These northern Canadian wolves are large enough to bring down moose.

Ed

15. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Take the hair off and they aren't as big as they appear.

Don

16. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

Having hunted in northern British Columbia a fair bit, and having seen a lot of wolves up there, I have to call BS on these pictures. I have seen many large wolves as close as 75 feet, and not one was as large as these pictures. The largest I ever saw was a white male, the alpha male of the pack, which was sniffing in my 15 minute old tracks as I waited for some whitetail deer to come up out of the river onto the flats. It was about 150-160 pounds by my best estimate, but I could have been off by a few pounds. Adrenalin makes estimating size kinda hard, especially when the wolf is tracking you like prey, and is only about 40-50 feet away. I lifted my rifle, aimed and shot as quickly as I could, but he was moving like greased lightening, and all I did was give him a haircut on his shoulder. I saw him the next year, as well, trotting down the trail ahead of me as I headed in to my moose area before daylight one morning, and he was definitely not much more than my original estimate. One thing about the wolves in that region, they are not scared of humans, and a loaded firearm is an excellent idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.