1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BIG 50 QUESTION

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gdbabin, Aug 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

My sons & I went to our first ever big-50 last week at Carroll County Gun Club (MD). After I got home I read the germane section of the official rulebook and was a bit surprised when I read:

"Three 50 target programs (singles, doubles, and handicap) with no more than three 50 target events per day and no more than one of any one discipline may be registered."

I had assumed (& ya know what they say) that each 50-target event would register. We shot all three disciplines.

My question: Which of the three events we shot that day will be registered? Nobody asked us and we didn't know enough to specify. I know I can ask the management, or just watch the ATA Shooter's Info page.

Is it the shooter's choice, or does the management of each Big-50 shoot decide which event registers for everyone before hand?

Thanks,

Guy Babin

2. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

Your reading it wrong! Jimmy Borum

3. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I did get kicked out of the 3rd grade fer shaving!

I often have to read ATA rule book prose several times to get the meaning and still get it wrong. Who is the editor I wonder? It sometimes reminds me of the federal tax code documentation...

So, all three events count?

Guy

4. chipking

chipking TS Member

Guy all three (should be) will be registered. If you read the rule again it says no more than one of EACH discipline can be registered and no more than 150 targets in a day IE: NO 2 50 singles scores in a day.
    I can't speak for the club where you shot but for big 50s the ones I have shot at will register your targets unless you tell them you don't want them registered.

--- Chip King ---

5. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

If the club is having a registered event, it is NOT your choice to have the targets registered. ALL contestant's targets MUST be registered. Jimmy Borum

6. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Thanks Chip.

I now understand the intent of the rule, but still don't see the EACH. A copy and paste directly from the book:

"The program essentially waives ATA daily fees for the “Big 50 Programs”. The program is available on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday only. Three 50 target programs (singles, doubles and handicap) with no more than three 50 target events per day and no more than one of any one discipline may be registered."

No biggie, I'm now accurately informed.

(Perhaps it was wishfull thinking after the lousy doubles score I shot that day.) smiles

Guy

7. chipking

chipking TS Member

Guy I don't see "each" either but in the copy over I see (one of ANY ONE of)and I interpret "ANY ONE of" as EACH.

Jimmy attached is the complete copy of the ATA big 50s from the rule book.

ATA Big 50 Program

The ATA Executive Committee is proud to unveil the Big 50 Program. This
    has been instituted to encourage participation by league and casual shooters
    in registered shooting.
    The program essentially offers a reduced ATA daily fees for Big 50 Program
    participants. The program is available on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday
    only. Three 50 target programs (singles, doubles and handicap) with no
    more than three 50 target events per day and no more than one of any one
    discipline may be registered.
    Participating in the program is very simple per details below. The normal
    procedure for obtaining pre approval for the registered date(s) through your
    State/Provincial Association must be followed. It is also strongly suggested
    that you contact your State/Provincial Association Secretary to determine
    whether their daily fees are being waived.
    The only separate notice required to the ATA is to simply write the words Big
    50 on or near the Gun Club line on your shoot financial report.

PROGRAM:

• Only available Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, this program is intended
    as a supplement to regularly scheduled shoots

• Shooters must declare their intent to register targets before shooting

• Clubs will throw 50 target events (singles, doubles or handicap)

• No more than three fifty target events per day, no more than one of any
    one discipline

• ATA daily fees are reduced to $1.00 per registered shooter

• State fees may be waived

• Targets will be ATA registered

• Non-ATA members must first join ATA in order to get their targets registered

• Similar to the registered league program, registered and non-registered
    shooters may shoot at the same time and on the same squad

• Minimum of three shooters per discipline

• All other rules apply to “Big 50” events

• For purposes of applying the earned yardage table only registered shooters
    will be counted. If yardage is earned under the table only the high
    score among registered shooters will earn yardage, regardless of any
    non-registered score. A score of 50X50 will earn at least ½ yard regardless
    of the number of shooters

Jimmy under PROGRAM, bullets # 2 and # 9 apply because big 50s are open to NON-ATA members as well. SO I repeat you must tell them if you want your targets registered

--- Chip King ---

8. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

You are correct. I stand corrected. I was really thinking you were saying you could choose to register, or not, after you had shot. It pays to refresh your memory before commenting (at least in my case). Jimmy Borum

9. chipking

chipking TS Member

Jimmy based on some of my big 50 scores I wish I could have chosen to NOT register them afterwards ;o) I think that sometimes they feel so casual that I don't concentrate like I should.

--- Chip King ---

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.