1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bi-Focal Specs for Trap

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Hooligan, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hooligan

Hooligan Member

Do any of you use bi focal specs for trap shooting? My eyes are starting to fail and I can no longer see a mid rib bead which does not worry me too much as my stock fits real well and my average still holds up OK. I do have a problem if I want to pattern a gun or check for POI as it is almost impossible without a mid bead. I have seen a couple of shooters use Decot glasses with a very small bi-focal circle at the bottom. BTW I am a two eyed shooter and hold almost on the back edge of the trap house. Maybe I coud use a set of these lenses just for patterning and POI purposes with a stationary target. Has anyone had experience with these lenses that can offer any advice. Barry

2. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Barry, welcome to middle age. Single vision lenses are far superior to bifocals for shooting. Progressive bifocals or the old style that use the lower half of the glass can cause visual distance distortion while attempting to look down the barrel of a gun. If you must use a bifocal then the ones you described from Decot or similar are the way to go. Yes, I have tried them all and finally opted for Lasik.

Robert

3. SteveT

SteveT Member

I wear tri-focals normally. Found that I could not see the score sheets or anything else up close with single corrective lenses. Have been shooting since 2002 using bi-focal lenses as you described with the small bi-focal at the bottom of the lenses. They are not visible to me when I shoot but sure come in handy the rest of the day.
    Steve Taylor

4. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I have a pair of Decots and a pair of Post 4. Both have the "small" bifocal in them. I like them equally well. Ed

5. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Decot bifocals work well, as the reading part of the lens is only the size of the tip of your finger.

6. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I wear progressive and have no problems shooting, Recently purchased single vision lenses sun glasses and I shoot well with them as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.