1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beware or not??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by FLAKETM, Feb 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

Bear with me here. I have bought and sold several guns and parts on this site for the past 11 years, starting with Llano Bill. A couple of days ago, I attempted to buy a shotgun at a reasonable price from someone, who didn't want to give me his full name and address or phone number. He wanted me to get the FFL to send a copy of the license via his individual email address using only his first name. Without a full name and address, my FFL wouldn't do that. I cancelled the deal and asked the seller why he was so secretative. To get a money order from me, he would eventually have to give me his name and address. He sent me a message saying "there was a misunderstanding. Sorry." There was no misunderstanding. He just wouldn't give me a full name and address. I've never run into that here before. Have you??

2. djldb6

djldb6 Member

I haven't run in to it, but yes, I would be wary.

Dan

3. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Run away !! Run away !!

4. john g.

john g. TS Supporters TS Supporters

Just recieved a gun after 3&1/2 week of who does what..

A member of this site ran a add for the gun of a older friend. I commetted to buy it. Well 4 days later I hear for seller. Seller told me he needed FFL and money order. I got those and called him after 5 days I got him and said I needed a copy of his drivers lic. because my dealer needs to know were the gun came from. Well 4 days later this was not going to happen { Identity Theft } So I told him to send it through a dealer that I have done work with before and he knew the seller.

Long and short of it there was alot of worry With this third party deal but I got the Gun and it is just like described.

John G.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Most every deal I have done with fellow TS.COM members involved a personal phone call. I must say that is the best way to cut to the chase and get all questions answered. I believe I'd back out too if the other party would not share his identity. You did right in my book. Cover your own butt.

6. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Every time that I have bought or sold on here the gun and check passed each other in the mail. John

7. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I have never seen such volumes of postings about buying/selling problems as the last few months. It looks like with the present hard times a lot of rip off artists have discovered this site and are working it.

8. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Every ffl wants a driver lisc now. All you have to do is block out your birth date, problem solved.

9. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Some sellers are quite frankly...."skidish" I dont know why?? mental inbalance I suppose. You run into one guy that the check and gun pass in the mail like stated. You run into another that wont even take a cashiers check just money order...then others that say send me a check and when it clears no problems....

I had one seller that POSTED a for sale flyer at our club. I noticed what he had on it and a few weeks later another guy I know said..."hey you know where I can get one of these?" I say sure and texted him the pic of the FOR SALE ad on the board.

The seller CALLS ME, and wants me to vouch for this buyer before he will give out his name and address for the buyer to come look.... Im like WTH??? Dont sell your stuff I really dont care. But that is just the way some sellers are I guess.

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I wonder how hard it would be to start a buyers/sellers rating by input like Gunbroker etc.? Old timers around here know who the good guys are but there are lots of new and non posters around with no "rep"

11. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

A simple check of their history on here used to be good enough. Plenty of talk time on the phone about all details helps. We NEVER used to hear about scammers on here. What a shame. John

12. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

FLAKETM:

I have bought and sold a couple of guns on here in the last year. I have had no problems as a seller but only a slight one as a buyer. The seller made good on the deal as soon as I brought it to his attention upon receiving the gun. Things happen and he stepped up and made it right.

Guns look a lot better in photos sometimes than in your hand. I always ask for more photos when buying for 2 reasons. The first is that it proves to me they actually have the gun, not copied the photo off another website, and the second so I can see close up pics to establish condition. If someone isn't willing to give you their name or let you call them to talk about the deal, just move on. If you buy and sell FFL to FFL your going to decrease the chance of something going wrong. It will cost a few bucks more but I think it's worth it. Any out-of-state transfer or shipped firearm is going to require at least one FFL on the transfer end anyway. If I were spending thousands on a high end gun, I would ask the FFL's to handle the payments for both of you as well. No one will risk their license for a scam.

I love looking at all the quality guns for sale on here as much as the next guy but unfortunately I can't buy all of them either. I hope you have good luck on here like I have had. Duane

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.