Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beware of UPS scam

5K views 46 replies 25 participants last post by  shootnclays 
#1 ·
Here's how it worked.
I took a Kolar Trap combo to my FFL. Had him sign a written letter that this gun was perfect, like new and insured for $9000.00. This took Place on December 5 2007, a Wednesday. I wanted the gun shipped to the buyer's FFL Second Day Air, so it would not sit around a warehouse for a weekend. I promised the buyer it would be there Friday, December 7th a Friday, that's 2 days. I paid $96.00 for this shipment.

To make a long story short, I called my FFL, he said nobody from UPS showed up on Wednesday,( they do everyday). Then UPS show's up Thursday December 6th, finally it showed up on the tracking number as received by UPS.

The Gun will be delivered Monday December 10th, UPS doe's not consider Saturday or Sunday as delivery days unless you pay 20 bucks more.
So for a Second Day Air delivery turns out to be a 6 day delivery which only costs $31.00. They made 61 bucks for nothing. My FFL would not make it right and either would UPS.
Do not use UPS, I will not ever again. And I won't send my guns through this FFL again either.

#27 ·
This happened to me several times and it was noted SATURDAY delivery, I paid extra for this service they did not deliver it till Monday to me and the packaged was marked SATURDAY delivery, all the driver said was we made a mistake tried to get the partial refunds with no success.

My last gun shipped to me by Ljutic came on SATURDAY the box was stamped all over SATURDAY delivery in Red Thanks Nadine.

Dr.longshot

#28 ·
I ship with ups exclusivly. I have owned my own business for the last 26 years and have shipped with them almost every day of that time. The number of problems we have had I can count on one hand. In order to get Saturday delivery it has to be overnite air. All you guys that bad mouth them go to fed ex, usps or wherever,see what you pay and the service you get. JMHO BILL

#29 ·
Carry your own gun insurance (through SIAI in my case), then you don't have to worry about buying insurance from the carrier. Costs me around $125 for a year of 10K worth of insurance, and covers theft, ect as well. All the guns i've sold or had to ship in the last few years went by post office. I did have one that went to AK that took almost 5 weeks to arrive via parcel post, everything else has been pretty decent though. I've been having good luck with DHL lately for my non-gun shipments though, and their rates are the cheapest of fedex, ups, post office or DHL.

#32 ·
To start with... I worked at UPS for 22 years and was in package operations as a manager for most of those.

If indeed your FFL has a daily pick-up account, and the UPS driver never came by that day.....then it is what we call a " Missed Pick-up".

A "Missed Pick-up" is one of the most serious violations of company policy that a Driver can make. Serious disciplinary action will be taken against this driver..."up to and including discharge"....meaning if this has happened before with this driver...he can be FIRED...and the union won't do much about it...they too want UPS to be successful so it can pay the union members more money.

All your FFL has to do and I am sure he knows this, is to call UPS and register a "Missed Pick-up" complaint. UPS will make things finacially right on the FFL's bill from UPS. UPS will not send you any money because you do not have an account with them. If your FFL, refuses to call UPS with a "Missed Pick-up" complaint...its because he is telling you a different story than what REALLY happened.

Yes, UPS will research to make sure that indeed the pick-up was missed. Everything that a UPS Driver does is electronically recorded, so there is no way a driver can say he did make the pick-up...if he didn't.

A "missed pick-up" is very rare...but they do happen. A package delivery center will on average have 1000 - 1500 daily pick-up accounts. If they miss more than 1 or 2 a month, someone will lose there job very quickly.

Do you really think that a multi-billion dollar company sits around thinking "how can I scam a customer out of $60". Do you really think they became a multi-billion dollar company cheating a scaming people to do this....way to many choices for shippers to use besides UPS.

#33 ·
I recently sent a Browning via UPS because the buyer sent me a prepaid, preaddressed sticker for the package. I took it to the local Mom&Pop mail stop and UPS picked it up that day no problems. All went well.

Now we do have a "UPS" store in the same town and I will not do business with them. They are an independant contractor and have nothing to do with UPS other than the color and the name. I had several experiences with them that were less than pleasant.

If I'm going to ship UPS I do so at their terminal in the next town on my way home from work. In 10+ years I've had a couple misroutes and two damage claims. The claims were under $100.00 so they were paid immediately.

Now I bought a $2500.00 guitar a few years ago and the seller sent it FEDEX. They destroyed that guitar in transit with extreme prejudice. It was shipped double boxed in a flight case. It took 5 months to get my money back.

USPS just keeps plodding along. I noticed after the last rate hikes that they are now more inline with UPS or vice versa pricing wise. No real bad experiences there other than the long lines when you go to the office.

#34 ·
Sorry to hear of your problem, I'm inclined to agree with the poster that says it's your FFL who is telling the windy. Know what we mean here? Those big companies send and recieve millions of packages every day and they never would intentionally screw up service for anyone. As we all know one bad deal and the word gets out in spades.Hopefully the gun was not damaged during the six day shipping time. Good luck with your next shippment. Dan

#36 ·
Just curious. Why didn't you ship it yourself? It would seem to me that every time you add another middle man, you are asking for problems. In this case, I think you will find that the FFL was the "shipper" and not you. Another reason I always ship it myself is so that I KNOW how it is packaged and have photos to prove it in case of a claim.

I prefer USPS Registered Mail on items of considerable value. Surest way of getting an item from point A to point B. Not always the fastest but the best. Cheapest insurance rates also.

It would seem to me that at this point you should consider the matter closed. High blood pressure and indigestion and stress are not worth $60.00. Or you could sue everyone and see if you can get your $60.00 back. This might work but will likely cost you some hours and effort and aggravation and the outcome is not guaranteed there either. Or you could vent on TS.com for a few days or weeks or months and stay worked up just to see if you can find some sympathy. Or you could try to get sympathisers to each send you $5.00 and maybe you could get rich on this deal. Or you could kick the dog or the wife if you think you're man enough. Or you could say to yourself "what is one business day difference in delivery in the grand scheme of things". Or you could seek professional help.

I truly hope you find some sort of inner peace soon. I do understand that some people love to portray themselves as a victim so they can blame others for their misery. If that's the case, good luck to you.

Bob

#38 ·
This fall on two separate occasions I have driven to the local UPS shipping point during their advertised "open" hours and found the door locked with a note that they are closed today because of "Personnel Issues". I then took my package to a commercial UPS shipping point and I know it didn't go out until the next day. I still don't know what a "Personnel Issue" is about.

#39 ·
2nd Day Air is 2 business days from the date of pick up. Not 2 calendar days. This is listed in the terms of service and is the same for UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc.

You weren't scammed. You didn't receive the delivery date you expected but 2nd day air, as defined by the terms of service, is not a scam.

--Scott T

#40 ·
Primed:
Bob, I am not worried about the 60 bucks, and your sympathy is , how do I put it, disqusting. I posted only what happened, I did not interject any personal feelings here, which you seem to have done. Not in very good taste as a fellow Trapshooter. I posted what happened.
I don't know if UPS is giving me a line of B.S., or the FFL I used, but from reading the posts. I suspect my FFL failed somehow.
As I said in my earlier posts. I will not use UPS or this FFL again ever. It only takes one slice, but it goe's to the bone.
My only reason for posting this was to tell people of what happens when using UPS. I don't know, it could have been a mistake on my FFL's part. Neither of them will fess up and explain the mistake. So I can't accuse anybody or any company for not abiding by their word. Enough said about this. Please close the subject.
Shootnclays

#41 ·
UPS's week is Monday Thru Friday If you 2nd day air you do not get saturday delivery. It has been this way since 1981 is all I can tell you. That is when I got started. All you guys bashing UPS do not send packages everyday. There is no body better day in and day out.Recieved 23 packages today all on time sent out 11 I am sure all will get to where they are going as they all do. Bill

#42 ·
UPS or FFL dealer not fessing up?? Hell, just ask the dealer to show you his daily pick up contract with UPS. UPS will not, because you were not the shipper.

Tell the dealer UPS will grant a refund if the dealer can show proof of the contract.

I don't see where UPS is at fault..at all..............yet.

To save face, the dealer may just give you the refund and say he'll collect from UPS, which he may not.

#43 ·
Shootnclays

"I posted only what happened, I did not interject any personal feelings here".

You labeled this a "scam". I think that is a personal feeling. I think many of the posters here are trying to tell you that. It was picked up Thursday, 2nd day air and delivered Monday, 2 business days later. Perfect. You do not know the facts about the cause as you yourself stated. The whole thing is personal feelings. Keep whining, it really affects your reputation on here. Or try any of the remedies that I offered in my previous posting.

Question is still why didn't you ship this yourself? That might have put the responsibility where it belongs. That would be with you the seller.

Wah, wah, wah

Merry Christmas!!

Bob

#44 ·
Primed:
Bob, I owe you an apology. I did talk to my FFL dealer, he stated he was in his shop all day until 5:30PM. The UPS driver never showed up. I can't call him on that because I was not the shipper, he was. As I stated before, UPS nor the dealer will take the responsibility on this error. Oh, well, I learned a lesson. I will ship any guns I sell with USPS, except handguns. Then I will use a different FFL dealer.

#45 ·
Ya know allot of business's with the daily p/u service contract with UPS puts a sign in the front window for the UPS driver so that they know whether or not there is a package to p/u so that when the driver pulls up they can look for the sign to see whether or not they need to jump out and go get a package ... if they do or do not see the sign they know what to do.

Maybe ... just maybe ... ya just never know ... but maybe the FFL never gave the sign that he had a package to p/u so the UPS driver went along on his normal afternoon routine. Possibly this is why he wont take responsibility and wants to put the blame on UPS and ... well ... did you honestly think UPS would take the blame when you called not 1 but 2 customer service representatives? I'm surprised that they didn't just tell you that they were sorry for the mix up but the actual UPS account (the FFL dealer and not you) must call them and they can do something with him and then he can do something with you.

Ya know this whole thing just sounds like a child who did not get exactly what they wanted and now wants to rant and rave and bitch ... shit happens, at least it was delivered and its finally there.

#46 ·
I've never liked UPS, too many delayed shipments, i.e. something supposed to be delivered to me on a Friday to use over the weekend and it gets delivered on Monday since it wasn't scheduled for a Saturday delivery.

When I have no choice but UPS, I time my purchase or shipment to give **at least** 1 extra day of time, just to be safe.

FedEx OTOH has been consistently good.

Pete

#47 ·
Lumper, Thanks for your input. Maybe I was wrong about calling this deal a scam. UPS is a billion dollar a month business. I don't know what happened with the shipment problem. Maybe the FFL did not display his sign, I don't know, maybe the UPS driver really did not show up for some reason.
I'll never know, and I really can't approach the FFL and tell him he was wrong because I don't know what happened. All I know is I gave him the gun Wednesday, and it arrived Monday. Yes, UPS did deliver the gun in 2 business days which took 6 calendar days.
Lumper,I am not a child whining about the money, get that understood, I just wanted 2nd day air delivery, that's all, nothing more. Now I still don't know what shape the gun arrived in, I will find out later, but it did arrive to the destination. I will however ship via USPS from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.