1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BEWARE OF THE LAST SHOOTER OF THE DAY!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Oct 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    I LOVE TO SHOOT ATA, AS WELL AS WINTER EVENTS AT SOME OF THE AREA GUN CLUBS. I HAVE LEARNED the hard way to "BEWARE OF THE LAST SHOOTER OF THE DAY TO SHOOT" many times i have shot a good score, waited all day, to be beat by the last shooter to shoot that day. i have learned to accept this over the years, it happens.a few years back a young new shooter, shot on a 16 yd ata event, on squad #1. he broke a 98. he was high all morning, he was waiting to pick up his prize, when an elderly shooter signed up with 5 minutes to go before entries were closed. that shooter shot a 99 and beat the young guy who waited all morning. the young guy, followed the elderly man to his car and told him that he waited all morning and now he came at the last minute and beat him. young guy wanted to start a fist fight. the prize was 4 drinking glasses, with no etching on them, plain drinking glasses. the old guy asked if he was crazy, and offered to give the young guy the glasses. make a long story short, other shooters told this kid to grow up, thats part of the game. HAVE YOU EVER WAITED ALL DAY, TO GET BEAT BY THE LAST SHOOTER OR SOMEONE ON THE LAST SQUAD, AND WENT HOME WITH NOTHING?
    steve balistreri

2. mono1393

mono1393 Member

Oh yea. Happened at the Pacific Grand Last year. I came in with the high handicap score of 97 early in the event. At the end of the day, Jerry Parr came in in the last squad with a 98 to win. I took runnerup outright, but lost about $800. I still felt good about how I shot though and I shook Jerry's hand afterward. There will always be tomorrow.

Chris J Morris

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

steve- Isn't it amazing how often this seems to happen?

Pat Ireland

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I'm thinking anyone who would want to fight over 4 glasses should not be allowed to have a gun in their hands much less a loaded one ... That guy (the kid) should be banned from shooting before he gets hurt really bad by some guy with a baseball bat ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. Oldman1949

Oldman1949 Banned User Banned

Pay your money , shoot your targets , put your stuff away , visit with friends for a while , and go home . If you won the club will notify you or someone will bring your winnings to you .

6. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

It happened to me in the late 70s. I was shooting at the annual Ceramic Siein shoot at the Clark Co. Sportsman Assn. in Springfield Oh. They awarded hand painted steins, real beauties. I shot somewhere in the low to mid 90s and figured that would never hold up. Well it did until the last squad shot. Someone in my class broke 1 or 2 targets more. Sure would have liked to win that stein but thats the breaks.

Gerald

7. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Happened to me this year in Madras Oregon. First squad out with the wind howling at about 30 mph. I broke a 89 and was down on my self as I had played the Calcutta and bought myself. Several squads later, was high by 6 targets and counting my money when a 27 yard shooter in the last squad broke a 92 and beat me out for first place. Still won second and was happy with the $300 bucks that I won. Richard

8. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

At the 1947 Grand, Hugh Crossin, Gardner, Montana, broke a 99 in the GAH - squad 13. We sat all day in the Remington tent watching the Big Board and getting progress reports of other shooters and keeping Hugh hydrated. At the end of a long day, no one even tied him. I broke the middle 50 but with a 96 let him in for the day. Ahh - Vandalia memories.

9. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

I do not know what is worse being the first out and watching a score that might hold up, or a score that you know won't hold up being beat at the end.

Or being near the last out, and trying not to hear or somehow become aware of the score to beat.

It is tuff to get to the point were the shooting is done and they only have to post a few more shooters, and hey I am still high, and then go home empty handed.

You could make it worse,

Shoot a decent score you know won't hold up, so you take off and find out later, I missed the shoot off!

So while away the wait chatting, playing cards, taking a map and were ever that score settles take it as a good day!

Al

10. chipking

chipking TS Member

I have been on both sides of that coin. It used to make me mad but when you really think about it. It wasn't the last shooter who beat me it was me missing a bird or birds I should have hit. It's all part of life. It does make that 2 hour drive home harder and later though.
    --- Chip King ---

11. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

I aways try to be the last shooter. I like for the other shooters to enjoy their scores as long as they can.

12. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

No one ever beats you except yourself and you never beat anyone else. You shoot your score. Sometimes it is good enough to win regardless of what it is. If you think you are competing against other shooters, you are wasting your energy and screwing with your mind.

Trapshooting is like medalist golf, you just have to shoot the best score you can and if it is better than the other competitors, you win. This is unlike tennis where you have an opponent to overpower, outplay or outsmart.

When you stop thinking about what the other guys are shooting, you may find you win more often. Just sayin'.

13. MX-15L

MX-15L TS Member

Steve, you should remember the times at the Milwaukee Gun Club that shooters would watch the scores posted outside, on the North wall,and if they thought they could do better, they would sign up, and usually win.

I do.

JoeZ

14. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Joe Z- i really miss the Milwaukee gun club. on a sunny day, nothing better. shows what a few people who do not like shooting can do when they have some power.
    steve balistreri

15. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I learned real quick , shoot talk eat go home, unless you really think its a shoot off for $$$.

16. scratcher

scratcher TS Member

To avoid being beaten by the 'last shooter of the day', be the last shooter of the day. Works for me...........

17. guncase

guncase TS Member

I solve the problem early,,,I just break them all and you know you are in a shoot-off. Then have lunch, then look at the trophies and decide if the are good enough to hang around for!!

But remember,, if you are in a shoot-off--no beer ,, all afternoon with no beer,, is it really worth it????

18. guncase

guncase TS Member

I solve the problem early,,,I just break them all and you know you are in a shoot-off. Then have lunch, then look at the trophies and decide if the are good enough to hang around for!!

But remember,, if you are in a shoot-off--no beer ,, all afternoon with no beer,, is it really worth it????

19. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Yes, at the Kansas State shoot singles championship a few years ago when I was in B class, I shot in an early squad and I shot a 198. My best score ever (or since). Dropped two targets in the first 25, then ran the next 175.

I waited until the last squad came in, and a young fellow just out of high school named Darryl Dierksen had shot a 199.

All I could do was congratulate him for shooting so well.

20. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

OH yeah, been there.......even with my limited shooting experience, I found out fairly quickly how that could happen. I was shooting in a round robin held over 2 days. The local club shot on Sat. and the rest of the field shot on Sun., so the locals could work the shoot. I shot my high score for the time then settled in the next day and noticed that my score in class looked like it was holding up, I thought I was going to get my first buckle. I was scoring on the last trap that they had to go thru, and not only was it the last shooter of the day that beat me, I had to score for him and watch him give me a nice dose of whoop.....a###.

Oh well, makes a good story.
    dennis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.