1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beware of State Farm Ins.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by fssberson, Jun 3, 2013.

1. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

The saga of my battle with State Farm Insurance is over. After two months State Farm finally sent me a record of my "claims". They had me down for 4 claims since 1987: 2 were for $0 loss and claims canceled [earthquake inspection 1994], 1 from 1999 [fraudulent claim -- never made for $700] and 1 for $1,877.93 [legititmate]. In discussing these "claims", State Farm told me that the average cusromer claim was 1 in 43 years. I simply can't believe this figure.
    Glad I am finished with State Farm!! Warning if you have State Farm it is time to start asking questions!! P.S. got exact same insurance for house and cars and save $400. Fred

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I dumped those a holes in 1986, somebody stole the chrome rings off my wife's car, she claimed it they paid nothing because the deductible was higher than the cost of the chrome rings, then a lady hit our van, not our fault, but it counted as a claim, then the same van got hailed on, they paid then dropped us and did some kind of black ball thing because it cost us out the noses for a few years

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

No offense, but why would you file a claim for less than your deductible? You know they don't have to pay you anything so all you do is add an incident to your claim history and get nothing out of it.

Ed

4. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Sorry, but I have been with State Farm for 40 years and have had nothing but good experiences. Martinpicker

5. art g

art g Member

I have been with State Farm for as long as I can remember and have had nothing but great service from my local State Farm agent and his entire office..and yes I have had claims... Art G.

6. LDAddi

LDAddi TS Member

I have to concur with "Martinpicker" and "art g" above. Many years with SF, not without some claims, still get all the discounts and no penalty increases. Of course, we don't all have the same agents and claims adjusters. Just sayin'

Larry

7. Guy

Guy Member

I have a letter in my safe from them probably 10-15 years ago stating they guarantee never to cancel my policy. I have no complaints about their product.

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

A few years ago, one of my customers had one of his truck hit by a lady with State Farm Ins.

Frustrated by their lack of concern he had the back roll up doors painted :

BOYCOTT STATE FARM INSURANCE!
    tHEY DON'T PAY THEIR CLAIMS!

He then took a picture of it and sent it in with the fact that he had 10 trucks that traveled the 10 Western States ... he also stated that if he didn't get paid in one week ... all his truck would get the same thing on their back doors.

They overnighted the check to him!

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I don't think that there is any insurance company that can be trusted. But as an insured, State Farm has always done okay by me and as a claimant, I've had good service from Allstate and Erie. Now, Donegal Mutual - it's been 10 years and I still vividly remember that screwing!

Ed

10. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

We have had them as our homeowner ins for going on forty years. used to be our auto ins provider too. They cancelled after a dui conviction to one of our family members in the 90's. they recently wouldn't cover our rental home business and this will be their downfall with me personally. They have always paid homeowner claims promptly, but because of the other b.s. they will be gone soon. Bill

11. oldschool

oldschool TS Member

Have had them for all our coverage for forty plus years and several minor and
    a couple not so minor auto incidents. Also much tornado damage to some of our
    buildings. Always been satified with thier service. Prompt and fair.

12. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

State Farm underwriter told me yesterday that their average policy claim was ONE in 43 years. They lie!! I tried to cancel the latest claim as the deductible was higher than the small claim. They still count it as a claim. They list one claim that I never made and did not get paid for... I will report it as "fraud" to the state. I too was with them for years until I started to question them. Fred

13. lwr_

lwr_ Member

State Farm has been very, very good to me!!! I would recommend them most strongly.

14. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Glad most of you had better luck than I did, the reason she my wife filed the claim was the rings that were stolen off he car were something like $300, State Farm said they could get after market rings for about $50 and that was the deductible

15. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

We learned the hard way about calling the insurance company directly. My wife called them once with a roof question but didn't file a claim. That counted as a claim, then we had a jewelry claim and a claim from a kid who hurt himself on our trampoline. Met dropped us.

We re-upped with a different broker and saved money in the end. Of course the trampoline is gone and my wife has strict directions to not call the insurance company ever again. Call the broker who will direct you on deductibles and when to file.

16. 1oz

1oz Member

Just wished i'd had the service from State Farm as the rest of you that like them so much .20 + years 1 claim 50 foot of copper gutters . I'm no longer with State Farm .My hunting partner is a independent insurance person .I went with him and saved 600 this year and next year he said add another 250. I built custom homes for 30 years and someone behind a desk is going to tell me how to repair and what they will allow . I canceled my state farm policy and it cost me 400 more than they allowed not including a additional 147.00 in more material really accurate estimate they did . They called me telling me my policy was due .I smiled and said thanks but i have insurance else where after the way the claim was handled.

17. shootlow

shootlow TS Member

You may save money by using another Ins. Co, BUT you may not know how good it is until you have a claim. I have been with State Farm for many years, have had one BIG claim and had no trouble.Shootlow.

18. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

State Farm is also known to not pay claims. Their way of thinking is for you to sue them to get your money. In other words yeah you get your money but you then give it to the lawyers. HA HA HA. Don't trust them.

We had insurance with a co for 20 years. Had two claims in those two years. Claim one, a micro bust wind. Took out 7 tree's in the yard. Two on the hose and took the west end of the barn out. The second claim was when the stove top caught on fire. We ripped the stove top out and threw it out in the yard and closed all doors and put two fans in the windows to get the smoke out. We kept the smoke from going all through the house and contained it to the kitchen. We still got dropped.

At times its best to just pay things out of pocket and not let them know anything. Do not ask questions because they have been known to raise your rates and or drop you in they think something is wrong.

19. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Just changed over to Liberty Mutual after having Allied for over 15 years ... Allied raised my rates by over $1,000, no claims on record in all the time they insured us ... My agent got me a deal with Cleveland Ins and saved me over $1,000, I called Liberty Mutual and saved another $500, so my home and auto insuance dropped almost $1500 per year for exact same coverages on all insured ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

20. mbbutler

mbbutler TS Member

42 years with State Farm. Wonderful Service, and have shopped them and find noone less expensive. Only issue is they would not issue policy on a "lifted" golf car.