1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beware of Shotgun World

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by rlmims, Nov 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rlmims

rlmims TS Member

I noticed that some one today posted a reply and referenced Shotgun World. I tried this site, and what a mistake. Just after I opened my first topic, I get the message from my anti virus program that someone was trying to take control of my computer. I tell anti virus to block this intrusion. This block took about ten minutes. When it finished i got the same message so I closed out S/W. Still had the intrusion message so I blocked it again. Before I got through this process I had to block TEN different viruses, just from one visit to Shotgun World

So if you feel compelled to go to Shotgun World consider yourself WARNED.

LMims

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Never a problem here, and I log on at least a half dozen times a day. My comp is clean, and I've never had a warning from any of my protection programs I run.

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I have visited that site countless times without problems, so I just tried again. The result was unchanged - no viral problems at all.

I know I have a reputation as an AOL-hater because it is anti-gun, but I have heard many comments from their subscribers about things like you experienced. I have a friend who has no choice but to use it due to his varied work locations and he has complained for years about things like you experienced. Additionally, according to reports in publications like PC World, a good plain-English computer magazine, AOL has had stability concerns over the years. You may want to look into that as a cause - perhaps try visiting Shotgun World using another ISP.

Ed

4. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

also be watchful for spam messages with "shotgunworld.com" in the subject line. I get at least one per week.

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Some anti-virus software is too "sensitive" and misinterpret various legit interactive functions between your browser and the website as an attack.

6. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

It may not be a virus but "malware". Just had it attack one of my computers, there is free software out there to get rid of it.

Don

7. Brian in Oregon

Does the site have third party banner ads? Those can be a source of malware, and can also be why some people get hit with malware and others don't, depending on which banner ad happens to be up at the moment.

8. rlmims

rlmims TS Member

BIGDON, when mcafee quaritines a suspected virus (malware) it names it on the log. My log has these attempts called Trojans. Would maiware be called a Trojan?

lmims

9. 1387delta

1387delta TS Member

Never had a problem there and I log on several times a day, including today.

10. Brian in Oregon

Trojans are one type of malware.

11. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

You have to be careful the Malware I had had every appearance as a Microsoft program. I got it as I was in a company's web site that was under attack, it shut that company down for 2 days. I called an IT guy and he told me about the removal software. Just google the name of the malware and it will tell you what it is and what you can do. Some malware I have been told gets by your virus protection.

I don't profess to know that much about this stuff but I know people who do. I would like to find the little dweebs who think this up and waterboarding would be a vacation for them.

Don

12. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

You can get a virus anywhere. I once clicked on a link posted here and was directed to a site that tried to download a virus. A link can be named anything to appear as legit but when clicked you go somewhere other that where you expected to go. The best thing to do is to type in the link so that you get to the actual site. Clicking the link will cause the browser to use the underlying IP address.

13. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

It likely came from an email. Most do

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If you want some good protection go to Google.com, type in SuperAntispyware and download the Super Anti spyware and virus protection (free edition) ... Its free (they do also have some that you pay for ) and it works great ... I had a Rogue virus and 15 Trojan virus's from various sites and it corrupted the Microsoft Windows XP Professional operating system to the point where I had to have the hard drive replaced ... The United States Government uses it to protect its Military secrets that were being hacked and or infected by virus ... It takes care of Malware, and just about every virus thats out there in cyberworld ... I update it and run it a few times a week and it works great ... I got this information from the Tech who did the work on my computer when the virus fried the hard drive ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

15. Mike-n-CA

Mike-n-CA Member

I use AOL for my ISP and have never had a problem with SGW using either Windows XP or Windows 7. I log on at least once a day and my antivirus software hasn't shown anything at all.
    Mike

16. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

OR, you can buy a MAC and not have those problems. I have used Apple computers for 6 years and never had a problem and never bought any type of virus protection. My wife however, has Windows XP and has problems with all that crap. (As I did when I had Windows). JMHO. Ed

17. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

30 years ago we, my kids had AOL. They, AOL, told me after I had problems going to GUN WEB sites, they connected very slowly or not, in their opinion I should not be going to those web sites as they think they are not proper.
    My comment to them was," its none of your business who and where I go, connect me or cancel me.
    Never had a problem after that.

18. Brian in Oregon

Macs are not immune to viruses and malware. It is a myth that they are.

However, Macs have far less vulnerability than a Windows platform. Combine this with less malware being written for Macs and it gives the appearance that they are immune.

Having said that, Macs with Intel chips running Windows software can be vulnerable to malware. Fortunately the damage is usually limited, and attacks that succeed in causing problems are rare.

Even Linux can be attacked by malware. It's just rare to have this problem. But regardless security patches are issued on a fairly regular basis for it.

Having said this, if you want a more stable platform than Windows, and cost is not an issue, then a Mac may be a good choice. Also note that some types of software for Windows is almost non-existent for a Mac. If needed, you may want to look into a Mac that can run Windows.

19. Woodstock

Woodstock TS Member

I think the site has definitelty been hacked. Pages have lost their html formatting and my AV logged an assualt on my pc (Trojan). Malwarebytes is a good anti-malware program and there is a free version.

20. willing

willing Member

Just recently I have been getting a GMC(?) popup while on SGW, perhaps your program is defining that as a virus.

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.