1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

beware*Community Bank N.A.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by tj303, Nov 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tj303

tj303 Member

Community Bank N.A.(www.communitybankna.com) has my mortgage, in October they hit my bank account for the mortgage payment, twice! When I went to the local office I was told they had a "small" problem with their computer system, the bank wasn't sure if the first transfer went through so a week later they did the transfer again! No phone call, no e-mail, no letter...just take the money twice! Apparently they have done this to numerous customers. They won't refund my money until I bring in three months of previous bank statements showing I had paid my mortgage in those months. Seriously pissed off in Ithaca, TJ. The funny part their slogan is "Bank Happy"

2. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

tj303,

You did not make it clear if your second account is with them also. I sense
    a sloppy bank is asking you to be their accountant. If I were you, and there are no minimum requirements, I'd only leave enough money in that second account (checking?) to cover 1 mortgage payment plus $50. Keep your business with them to a minimum. Lots of potential for disaster if this is the way they function. A bank should earn your business; not the other way around.

If your "bank account" is with another bank, I'd void Community's right to electronically transfer (providing it is not part of your mortgage contract) and set up an electronic payment schedule for your mortgage with the second bank to take place monthly 10 days before your mortgage payment is due. This is of course providing the second bank is more "competent".

Chichay

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have always refused to agree to automatic payments. It is a bad deal... The wife belongs to a health club and they beg her to get on bit NO WAY

4. EEB

EEB Member

You should call the Federal Reserve Bank of NY, ask for Bank Supervision, Consumer Compliants. They will then probably refer you to the regional Office of the Comptroller of the Currency since your bank has a national charter, but they will give you a contact there. Believe it or not the Feds take consumer complaints seriously. Good luck.

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

We used to have a Community Bank here in central Pennsylvania. It wasn't related (that I know of) to TJ's Community Bank and has since become Susquehanna Bank, but there are similarities.

On two occasions, I discovered $300 and $400 missing from our checking accounts. I admit to not reviewing my statements - as long as the online balances are close to what I have in the checkbooks, I don't worry too much. But when we disagreed by that much and I couldn't tell where it went, I paid the branch a visit.

It seems they couldn't tell me, either. Of course, I was railed for sloppy attention to my statements but in the end, they could not tell me where the money went. The branch manager spoke with me the second time and reminded me that I have a history of poor attention to my statements. She even went as far as to suggest that I do what she does first thing every Sunday morning - balance her checkbook to the penny. I told her she must have a lot more free time on her hands than me.

We have an installment loan with them that requires automatic debits, so I now do what Chichay suggested - keep our balances to a minimum and do most of our banking business elsewhere. I haven't changed my bookkeeping habits and it hasn't happened since!

Ed

6. tj303

tj303 Member

Went back to Community Bank with my three months of bank statements proving the mortgage had been paid every month and got my money back for the duplicate withdrawal. Girl at desk told that this had happened to "lots" of their mortgage customers. Still pisses me off they made no effort to contact mortgagees they where being double billed. Feel sorry for the people who don't balance their bank accounts, Community Bank will just keep the money

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.