1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beverly Hillbillies Skeet shooting, Where was that

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by omgb, May 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I saw an old episode of the Beverly hillbillies today for the second time. The plot centers around Mr. Drisdfale needing a new skeet partner for the big bankers skeet shoot. Aside form the entire Clampet family being uber marksmen, the interestingthing is that gun club. It has trap and skeet and is pretty huge. Obviously, it no longer exists. I was wondering if anyone knew which club that was. I though maybe the old North Hollywood Gun club or the old Panorama Sportsman club but geez, it all predates me and I'm 53. Any takers?

2. Vickie

Vickie Member

Could it have been the now Triple B in El Monte, or maybe Oak Tree Gun Club ? I also think there used to be a gunclub in Long Beach that was pretty good size. I would think it would have to have been one of those places being close to Hollywood.

Vickie

3. 101voodoo

101voodoo TS Member

Here's a link -

4. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

I don't know where that gun club was located but Ellie Mae's skill with her sling shot reminds me of a young Hitapair!

5. Vickie

Vickie Member

Well both the places I thought of, are wrong. Someone out there should remember. It does look like the hills of So. California.

Now I am curious too.

Vickie

6. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

It's not Oaktree for sure. It's way too open with too much flat ground. I also doubt that its long Beach. I've been there and there are no foothills.

7. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Here's another link

8. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

could a been the old PACHMIRE club I guess thats now triple B the club in Long Beach only had 2 traps tooo small forthe show.

Bob

9. cafowler

cafowler Member

My guess is one of the following, since the CA State Trap shoot was at these 2 locations in the years just before the episode was shoot in 1963. The 2nd of the clips states it is a The Valley Skeet Club, which kind of sounds like the Golden Valley in Pacoima. Pacoima is in the San Fernando Valley, which has been locally refered to as "The Valley" for years. I think both the Rancho Angeles and Golden Valley would have been relatively close to the studio's in Burbank, which I think is also considered part of the San Fernando Valley.

1958 Rancho Angeles Trap & Skeet Club Los Angeles June 26 - 29 295
    1961 Rancho Angeles Trap & Skeet Club Los Angeles June 22 - 25 308
    50th California State Shoot
    1964 Golden Valley Gun Club Pacoima April 16 - 19 415
    Los Angeles – Santa Monica Gun Club. Located at 27th and Clover in Santa Monica (on the site of the current Santa Monica Airport)

10. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Redlands?

11. Vickie

Vickie Member

Everyone I talked to seemed to think it was the Golden Valley Trap Range. I don't know, cause I think it was closed before I started shooting. I don't think it is Redlands, cause there are no mountains in front of the traps, but you know the movie people, they can do a lot of stuff with film.

Vickie

12. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

It looks like the Angeles Forest foothills in the background. Also, thebrush looks very similar to what you find in the Big Tujunga wash. Pacoima is in that outfall. I grew up in the valley in the late 50s early 60s and there was a lot of open land back then. If I'm not mistaken, the club had land and a range back up near Sylmar in the Little Tujunga outfall but i could be wrong.

13. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Aqua Sierra ? It was a club located in the chatsworth area. Closed in the late 60s.

14. bobcatv

bobcatv TS Member

I went to google and typed in: "where did the beverly hillbillies shoot skeet". The third link down said it was Valley Skeet Club. I provided the link above.

Jeff

15. perazzi_01

perazzi_01 Member

Ok next question , at what club did the Andy Griffith show shoot skeet at?

16. Target13

Target13 Active Member

Yes, it was the Golden Valley Gun Club in Pacoima, CA that was the setting for this shoot. Ben DiOrio was the Manager and Owner of the Golden Valley Club. Many of the top actors/actresses that shot in Hollywood frequented the Golden Valley club and it was used many times for exterior shots or shooting sequences in tv series in the 6o's thru late 70's. Today I believe that some of the skeet houses are still on the property @ Whiteman Airport(??) that handles light plane aviation.

Phil Murray
    White Flyer Targets

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
address of aqua sierra sportsmans club

aqua sierra gun club

aqua sierra sportsman club chatsworth ca
ben diorio skeet shooting

beverly hillbillies episode where they shoot traps

beverlyhillbilys skeet shooting
golden valley gun club